The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposed Gun Control Legislation Does Not Violate Second Amendment - Say 52 US Law Profs

Wetcoaster

Seems to me these right wing idiots are more concerned with protecting their personal arsenal then they are with stopping gun violence.

Scumbag GOP - believes banning abortion will stop abortion, doesn't believe banning assault weapons will stop shootings.

Seems to me these right wing idiots are more concerned with protecting their personal arsenal then they are with stopping gun violence.

Scumbag GOP - believes banning abortion will stop abortion, doesn't believe banning assault weapons will stop shootings.

When one must allow Charles Krauthammer to think and speak for them, one don's the apparel of a shill .. bregister all guns and hold the owners of said guns responsible for all unlawful acts committed with said weapon .. voila .. end of problem ..

No-one in their right mind would have guns laying around unsecured if they were to be held accountable for said weapons ..

Where would this go against the 2nd Amendment?

Congrats, a person that cites Pete Shields to support their personal view. I guess Pete Shields has multiple personalities? And that's just one of the sources cited, you predictably left the others alone. :)

How would something "sound" disingenuous? These three large cities with notable jurisdiction and clout with neighbouring metro areas did have gun bans in place. Are you saying this is false? How is this propaganda when gun bans have actually been attempted by passing them? If these weren't ruled unconstitutional what would have stopped other cities, states, and federal legislation from taking it one step further after each mass shooting outrage? Are you suggesting they wouldn't have taken it one step further? Some rational explanations are in order from you. Hopefully more than banally dismissing things without substance.

Makes sense. Americans don't have an "unlimited" right to freedom of speech, then nor should they have an unlimited right to bear arms. Regulation & moderation being key, I don't see why there shouldn't be legistlations that ban the sale of automatic rifles & requirement for background checks at gun shows.

Makes sense. Americans don't have an "unlimited" right to freedom of speech, then nor should they have an unlimited right to bear arms. Regulation & moderation being key, I don't see why there shouldn't be legistlations that ban the sale of automatic rifles & requirement for background checks at gun shows.

I don't know what point you're trying to make re: Pete Shields. The guy is long gone and any attempt to use a comment that he made more than three decades ago to strengthen the "slippery slope" argument is as weak as it gets.

As far as your other "sources" go, they're basioally opinion pieces from gun supporters. I checked the link that you posted and decided to do a search of my own. I was unable to find the original quote attributed to William Clay, however, I did find several more internet sites that had gun advocates referring to this quote. I'm not claiming that he never said it, but the fact that the only evidence I can find is that supplied by the NRA and/or it's supporters makes me question it almost as much as I do the Pete Shields quote.

Regarding the handgun bans in the three cities:

I was debating the issue of any type of gun control eventually leading to a ban on handguns with another poster. I referred to the fact that such a ban has already been declared uncostitutional by the Supreme Court.

You respond with an example of three cities that had bans in place before the Supreme Court decision, but despite the fact that you are well aware of the SCOTUS decision, you don't see your argument as disingenuos?

You see Scott, that is the problem right there.

If something is going to change in the US, it has to start with people's attitudes. I refuse to believe that there aren't reasonable gun advocates out there who realize that there is no need for semi-automatic weapons or ammo clips that hold 30 shots.

These people need to make themselves heard. The need to stand up to the fear mongers in the gun lobby and refute the "slippery slope" argument. They need to let their fellow gun owners know that the handgun battle has already been waged in the Supreme Court. They aren't going back.

The reasonable gun owners need to stand up and be the voice of reason in the face of those who claim that the government is out to strip you of all your rights and impose the New World Order in Obamaland.

The reasonable gun owners need to try and change the attitudes of their less reasonable fellows.

Because until attitudes towards gun ownership begin to change, nothing else will.

Here's a newsflash then...NOTHING is going to change in the US. I hate to burst your bubble, but these people...these people who want moderation? They have been heard, ridiculed, and dismissed. No one in Washington really wants a compromise on this issue. In a lot of cases, it's my way or no way...and you know what? That's America for you. No one wants to give an inch, but they'll take a mile if they can. You are living in a dream world if you think reason and rationality is going to work down here in Jesusland. This isn't pessimism...this isn't cynicism...it's truth. As long as the gun lobbies have as much pull as they do, whether for or against gun control..NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

I feel sad for your country if that is actually true...and I feel sad that you believe it to be so, if not.

Myself? I'm not so sure.

I've been following these incidents for quite a while. I remember the NRA holding a rally in Colorado less than a month after Columbine. I remember at the time thinking that the roar of outrage would be deafening. To my surprise (and disappointment) there was next to nothing.

I saw the same lack of reaction to Amish School shootings and many others up to and including Aurora...

But after Newtown, I'm seeing something different. There seems to be more of an "enough is enough" attitude out there. People are finally speaking out. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe the deaths of those 20 innocent children can have at least some positive effect on American society.

I feel sad for your country if that is actually true...and I feel sad that you believe it to be so, if not.

Myself? I'm not so sure.

I've been following these incidents for quite a while. I remember the NRA holding a rally in Colorado less than a month after Columbine. I remember at the time thinking that the roar of outrage would be deafening. To my surprise (and disappointment) there was next to nothing.

I saw the same lack of reaction to Amish School shootings and many others up to and including Aurora...

But after Newtown, I'm seeing something different. There seems to be more of an "enough is enough" attitude out there. People are finally speaking out. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe the deaths of those 20 innocent children can have at least some positive effect on American society.

One thing I find sad about the gun debate in regards to bullets in magazines: if you're a duck hunter, you're only allowed to have about 3 bullets in your gun when you're shooting at ducks, and if you don't , the game warden can punish you for it, yet they don't have that limit on humans.

One thing I find sad about the gun debate in regards to bullets in magazines: if you're a duck hunter, you're only allowed to have about 3 bullets in your gun when you're shooting at ducks, and if you don't , the game warden can punish you for it, yet they don't have that limit on humans.

Curious as to what sort of duck hunters these are who shoot ducks or game birds with 'bullets'. Hunted for years with my Dad and his buddies and never used and never saw any of them ever use 'bullets' to bring down a goose or a mallard or goldeneye or a grouse or a ptarmigan or a pheasant....... in fact, not one duck hunter I know of uses 'bullets' to go duck hunting.

Well, you could probably find 52 law professors that say the opposite.

Banning assault type weapons will do little to stop gun violence because most gun deaths are caused by handguns.

The 1994 ban on assault weapons did nothing to stop gun violence.

So what happens next if the ban on assault weapons fail? A ban on handguns? That will never fly.

Archived