The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Burrows be a Selke nominee/winner?

Raiun

Absolutely Burrows could be a Selke winner. But don't kid yourselves about it being at centre!

I have posted all summer that if we could get top line RW, or Kass made it, that Burrows would be the passing and playmaking winger we have been dreaming of for Kesler's line! But his best chance is lining up with another superb player and forming a dynamic line, not playing out of position as a 3rd line centre. That's also where he will score dynamically enough to stay in the hunt, as no recent Selke winner has been completely void of points. He wont get enough points driving a line himself, particularly a 3rd line, as centre!

There is also solid reasoning for popping him up with the Twins for the PP and key situations. So we could still see him get 60 points, or the 48 game equivalent, and scoring key goals.

If Burr is able to continue with the level of play he has shown since moving to centre, then yes, I would say he's a legitimate Selke candidate. The one thing he needs to improve would be his face off skills.

A third line made up of Higgins (LW) -- Burr © -- Hansen (RW) looks really good to me. This is a line that could potentially shut down other teams' top line with speed, physical play, agitation, and also contribute offensively.

With a healthy Kesler and Booth running on full throttle by season's end, we could have a depth chart that looks like the following:

Daniel -- Hank -- Kass

Booth -- Kes -- Raymond

Higgins -- Burr -- Hansen

Malhotra/Volpatti -- Schroeder -- Lapierre/Weise

I like the looks of a forward grouping made up of these 14 guys. An argument can be made for keeping Schroeder/Raymond together and that Schroeder can be better served with lots of ice time with the Wolves, but with a healthy Booth and Kelser, we have some flexibility.

As well, I think this allows AV to roll out four lines on a regular basis.

If his role stays as is, my guess is he is in the conversation for a nomination but ultimately is beat out by more established two-way players.

Either way I like our line potential with Kesler and Booth back in the line up. Our 2nd and 3rd line combos could be something like:

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows as a dual role scoring/checking line that plays against other teams top lines

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins as a scoring third line as opposed to a defensive shutdown third line

Lappiere - Malhotra - Hansen as a 4th line with the potential to play good minutes and not be a liability

Guest Gumballthechewy

You know how everyone thinks EA predicts the future with thier games? Well Burrows won the Selke in NHL 13.

Twice.

So... Yeah...

I would like to see Kes and Burr back on the same line. Burr seems to have maintained his down-and-dirty playstyle whereas Kes seems to have lost it. Either due to strange chemistry with his linemates or too many overbearing responsibilities a beast cannot even thoroughly handle. Sometimes taking on too many responsibilities leads a player down the wrong path. With Kes and Burr on the same line, they can balance their defensive responsibilities, which seems to be something Kesler has had to handle himself for the most part on that 2nd line in the past few years. This will allow Kesler to focus on some of the more offensive aspects of his game and perhaps, regardless of what Kes himself says, lift a little bit of the physical stress.

I think Burr could be nominated, but he's far from winning it considering the competition he's up against.

Archived