The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PLAYLIST - JAN 30th vs. COLORADO

DJ Dave

Im not going to tell you what I really think cause I'll get banned again but did anyone notice how awesomely intimating San Jose's Seek and Destroy was?

It actually set the mood for the game. Intensity from the opening faceoff.

Why can we be intimidating?

I believe what people like and what is popular at the time doesn't always set a tone for a hockey game.

Think about when you are driving your car, what song would make you drive faster

seek and destroy or we got the beat.

People over look the music in an arena, but I honestly think it is very important, it gets the crowd involved.

look at the atmosphere it creates in Chicago.

Does anyone believe the mad house would be the same with a U2 opening? Or this new one we have?

That DJ knows how to bring out the worst in his crowd.

If the music at the hockey game sounds like the crap you hear everyday on the radio it will do nothing for your adrenaline glad.

People don't want goose bumps they don't wanna be inspired they want to be pumped up.

The little "make some noise track" will no longer be needed.

IMO, hiphop/rap can be very effective to get people pumped up, as we have seen in other stadiums. Would be nice to see some more

P.S. I have been pretty vocal about my dislike for your DJing, so I'll be the first to say that it is great that you are posting this on the forum and looking for feedback. Thanks

Deb's suggestions:

She Sells Sanctuary (Cult)

Rain (Cult)

Hip (Poets)

Pearl Jam (Animal)

Black Crowes

54-40 Inside The Horn (beginning especially)

Stereo (Watchman)

Locked In The Trunk Of A Car (Hip)

QOTSA

Reach For The Sky (Social Distortion)

Nearly Lost You (Screaming Trees)

Monkey Man, Gimme Shelter (Stones)

When Something Stands For Nothing & Tweeter & The MM (Headstones)

Coma (G & R) faceoffs?

Boxer Rebellion (The New Heavy)

Thunder In The Sky (Dirtbombs)

No Heaven (DJ Champion)

Poor Man's Grey, etc. (Matt Good)

Underground (Moist)

Numb, The Box (Holly McNarland)

Random off the top of my head stuff. :) C'mon Dave, how'bout it...get'er done? I've said it a million times (well, ok, maybe 3)...I'm completely on board with Burr It's Cold in supporting/promoting our Canadian talent. Uniquely our own. Matt, Holly, David Usher, Hip, Headstones, etc.

Deb's suggestions:

She Sells Sanctuary (Cult)

Rain (Cult)

Hip (Poets)

Pearl Jam (Animal)

Black Crowes

54-40 Inside The Horn (beginning especially)

Stereo (Watchman)

Locked In The Trunk Of A Car (Hip)

QOTSA

Reach For The Sky (Social Distortion)

Nearly Lost You (Screaming Trees)

Monkey Man, Gimme Shelter (Stones)

When Something Stands For Nothing & Tweeter & The MM (Headstones)

Coma (G & R) faceoffs?

Boxer Rebellion (The New Heavy)

Thunder In The Sky (Dirtbombs)

No Heaven (DJ Champion)

Poor Man's Grey, etc. (Matt Good)

Underground (Moist)

Numb, The Box (Holly McNarland)

Random off the top of my head stuff. :) C'mon Dave, how'bout it...get'er done? I've said it a million times (well, ok, maybe 3)...I'm completely on board with Burr It's Cold in supporting/promoting our Canadian talent. Uniquely our own. Matt, Holly, David Usher, Hip, Headstones, etc.

Play the new goal song, Dave, so we can all complain bitterly about the change, and folks realize that Clutch rules. People say they want a song the fans can get behind, one with easy, catchy lyrics that can be sung out when a goal is scored...but then they get it, and don't DO it. What can be easier to get behind and simpler to sing then "Bang Bang Bang Bang!" I really wonder what's been come up with, but I can almost guarantee folks will be clamoring to go back to the current one, or worse, will be trying to bring back Green Day. *shudder* That said, liked the playlist Dave. Locksley - The Whip does not belong in our stadium, it brings with it the stink of the Leafs, but other than that, good stuff...and dang it, I do not like this dang new post thingie...can't create paragraphs, it's all just one big wall of text!

Dave, good job on playing Japandroid's "House the Heaven Built" in the game yesterday. That song has an absolutely infectious pump-up chorus, and more importantly, the band is FROM Vancouver!

Good choice.

Tellll emmmm alll to go to hellllllll

EDIT: oh, I mean in last night's game against Chicago, not vs Avs.

Thanks for posting the Setlist DJD

A vast improvement from what I can tell.

Obviously everyone is going to have a few songs in that list that are undesirable to them. For me it's anything by Gwen Stefani but I'm sure there were some in the crowd ecstatic with that choice. I know it was for a friends birthday but Enter Sandman is a weak choice if you're going with Metallica. Same goes for Burn it to the ground, just seems really overplayed at this point, the riff is good though, just not a big fan of Nickleback.

Great work on the -We were promised Jetpacks

(best band name ever)

Keep up on the improvements & glad to see you're listening to the fanbase. As someone who's voiced their displeasure in the past. I know it's not an easy job keeping everyone happy.

As for suggestions. The Hip -Locked in the trunk of a car- would be a good song when we take a penalty. Have Gord screaming "let me out!"

Might not work but it's an idea. (got the idea from Debs list)

I agree with noheart 300%. I would be ecstatic to see us get an intimidating song like seek and destroy. I want the to come out like warriors, not wussies like U2 suggests.

If they ever try to change the intro to nickelback I will stop watching the Canucks lol

DJ Dave, good on you for posting. Everyone else, good on you for your replies. I have a few thoughts as well:

- Why is the focus on 'satisfying everyone in the crowd'? DJD, I feel like you should conduct a survey of the players themselves and see what would get them amped. As a music lover I would be so disappointed if I made it pro and right before a faceoff some bs song came on and got me off my game. Who knows, song selection could actually be throwing our stars off our game.

- I like the playlists's lack of top 40, generally speaking. However, it looks like a twenty-something's house party itunes playlist: trying to show off everything he knows instead of creating a mood or presenting a theme. What about having genre nights, like a rock night, a rap night, a techno night, etc.? This, along with a noise meter, could provide legitimate feedback as to what gets the crowd into it the most.

- Vancouver is pretty far away from most NHL cities. Let's showcase our local/regional music a bit. Let's hear some Jimi Hendrix, The Sonics, DOA, etc.

- Lot's of epic pump up songs are effective because of crescendo, layers, whatever, but to get the full experience you need to listen to the full song, or at least a minute or so. DJD you have a hard job, because not many 5-second segments of songs, when heard in isolation, are effective pump up songs.

DJD, thanks for looking for feedback. I hope I've been of help.

Archived