The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo to start vs Hawks

Strombone1

The hotter goalie gets the start. There is no controversy except the ones fans and media make up in their head. Lou just came off a shut out. If that disturbs the dressing room in any way then this team is not a team at all. Play the hot hand. Lou is still part of this team and shouldn't be benched for no reason except that there are talks of him getting traded. No one in the organaization has ever stated Cory is the number 1 goalie. They have always said that they will do what's best for the team including Cory and Lou. When Cory gets his time to shine and plays well I have no problems with the Canucks riding him either. The win is what matters.

The ignorance of some people on this thread is ridiculous.

Anyone who's played a team game knows you plays to win....not for individuals to shine.

Did you not see the interviews where cory was asked about his new role as #1 and he acknowledged how much he was looking forward to the role?

The whole affair has been handled like the KeyStone cops by the Nucks. What a soap opera.

The only assumption I can make is that a trading partner wants to see more of Luongo. If Schneider knows this is the reason, then no issues at all.

If this is something else though, what a cluster!@#$. Everyone in the team office has said that Luongo is being traded, they can't really back off of that now.

But how would we be "los[ing] games on purpose" by playing Cory? I don't think you'd find a lot of hockey fans that would not have confidence that Schneider would perform well too.

And isn't it counter productive to have your "other #1" sit and rust so long between starts? I think we are just lucky that Cory seems to have an almost super-human ability to not take it personally after he put in so many years as backup and was all but promised to be the sole #1 this year and now is told they are taking that idea back. (Linden on 1040 right now agrees that Cory would not be happy and that it can effect the whole dressing room)

So I just hope its a matter of not necessarily "showcasing" Lu, as he doesn't have to in any way to prove himself, but more of showing him off to keep him in the highlight reels, to nudge other GMs and keep Lu in the spotlight.

Agreed.

:picard:

Cory continues to pay for his one bad start. The first game after a long layoff.

This could be a disaster. Not for the upcoming game. But for the club in general. I have confidence in Lu winning the Chicago game, but what does this do to Cory's confidence and his relationship with the Canucks? Is that really worth it? Its not as if Cory wouldn't have the same chance to win in Chicago, this is all on AV and his love of his pets.

I really really hope this is all about showcasing Lu and NOT some kind of reconsideration of who Gillis is going to trade.

The problem was how the team made it clear at the start of the season Cory was #1, my only thinking for this is MG thought for sure Lui would be gone before it would become a issue but even so why not say something like "as long as both goalies play for the team we are going to play the goalie we think gives us the best chance to win." then the fuel is not there but now of course fans and media are going to jump all over this. Plus did they really think if Lui played great AV was going to bench him for Cory?

Here's a thought...

Maybe AV likes using LU because he's better at covering up the failed D zone system AV employs?

Cory is a very technically sound goaltender who, in a well run defensive system, will always be in position and make the saves. Lu isn't as technically strong so some that he should have stopped will get through.

On the other hand, Lu is more athletic than Cory in his style. This gives him the advantage when the D coverage breaks down and grade A/unexpected scoring opportunities arise that he can "flash the leather" or kick out a pad in dramatic fashion and stop.

Playing Lu could be more about covering AV's butt than anything else.

Love it, all the kiddies freaking out, the media trying to make more of it than there is. This forum is going to be epic of immature and stupid post about who the number one is. Sit back and enjoy the stupid and immaturity meter of this forum to reach an all time high. :towel::frantic: go canuck fans :lol:

Van has two goalies that are number ones.Coach AV looks like he is going to ride the hot goalie. Much like he did towards the end of last year.

Go Van, take advantage of your unique situation and when the time is right pull off the big trade that wins the cup. :canucks:

Luongo has been playing better so far this season, he just played two great games. Why wouldn't you want the hot goalie in net? It's about winning. Not about giving "the number one" all the big games.

When the GM has said very plainly and publicly that they are trying to deal Luongo (even that there is currently a deal in place)... and Luongo has stated publicly that he knows he is being traded... then anyone but a complete numbskull understands who the #1 goalie is.

A hint for you... it is NOT the player they have all said is NOT in their future plans....

They simply don't want to phrase Luongo as a back-up because that implies he is not as good and could affect the trade scenarios.

A good hint before you post something. When you think thousands of people are wrong, and you are right... it generally means you are wrong and/or off your meds.

Archived