#61 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

:picard:

Cory continues to pay for his one bad start. The first game after a long layoff.

This could be a disaster. Not for the upcoming game. But for the club in general. I have confidence in Lu winning the Chicago game, but what does this do to Cory's confidence and his relationship with the Canucks? Is that really worth it? Its not as if Cory wouldn't have the same chance to win in Chicago, this is all on AV and his love of his pets.

I really really hope this is all about showcasing Lu and NOT some kind of reconsideration of who Gillis is going to trade.

Im sorry man...what you say may be true but...we don't lose games on purpose to save a players feelings. We play to win...cory is a professional...he'll be fine.

#62 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Do you think Schneider signed with the understanding he would be back-up? Traded this season?

Schneider won the starting job from Luongo by outplaying him, why is it so unrealistic to think that Luongo can win it back by doing the same.

#63 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Do you think Schneider signed with the understanding he would be back-up? Traded this season?

Like I said its Roberto Luongo he is up against not any old typical backup. Luongo was not just going to sit on the bench like a normal backup. Untill or if Luongo goes, Schneider is not the sole number 1 simple.

Edited by cmpunk, 31 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#64 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

this seems like to obvious choice given the circumstance.
Posted Image

#65 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

we actually don't I think we're right on it at $70m and it's going down next year. Though teams are allowed to buyout 2 contracts so if we buyout say Booth and Ballard for example that's over 8 million off our cap right there

If they play more of the same from last year, personally, I'd be happy with that if it means keeping both goalies.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#66 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

:picard:

Cory continues to pay for his one bad start. The first game after a long layoff.

This could be a disaster. Not for the upcoming game. But for the club in general. I have confidence in Lu winning the Chicago game, but what does this do to Cory's confidence and his relationship with the Canucks? Is that really worth it? Its not as if Cory wouldn't have the same chance to win in Chicago, this is all on AV and his love of his pets.

I really really hope this is all about showcasing Lu and NOT some kind of reconsideration of who Gillis is going to trade.

Buddy, it's a 48 game season, Cory will be playing many more games, Lu is riding a shutout right now, sheesh!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 31 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#67 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Like I said its Roberto Luongo he is up against not any old typical backup. Luongo was not just going to sit on the bench like a normal backup. Untill or if Luongo goes, Schneider is not the sole number 1 simple.

I don't disagree with you. This is why the situation is untenable. Neither goalie wants to be backup to the other, they have both said as much. Yet here they are, with no clear starter. Publicly, they are handling it like professionals but it is not what either wants/likes.

The contract given to Cory was for a starting goalie. To now make him play back-up to Lu unless Lu craps the bed is a reversal of what was understood whne he signed.

Lu and Cory aren't stupid. They know their combined salaries can't be sustained and that it is restricting the team's ability to sign other needs.

It's a mess. Pretending it isn't doesn't make you an optimist or a fan, it makes you blissfully ignorant.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 31 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#68 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Here is the issue I have

Both Luongo and Schneider were the lone bright spots on an otherwise terrible road trip.

We all knew the Avs offence was enemic and whoever was in net had a good chance at having a solid performance especially considering the fact both goalies have looked good

Canucks decide to put Luongo in a situation where he cannot fail but by doing so they screwed themselves over. If he won and had a solid performance they would have to go back to him and there was a strong likelihood of that. For that reason, it made 0 sense to start Luongo last night as odds are both goalies would have had great performances last night (and we knew this prior to the game)

If Schneider is your starter he should have played last night and he sure as heck should be playing in one of the marquee matchups the year against our biggest rival.

IAlso, if Schneider is your starter then Luongo shouldnt be playing splitting games (4 for both after tomorrow).

All of this makes 0 sense and Gilles/AV come across as idiots.

Also for those of you that feel the need to argue Gilles is showcasing Luongo well he really isnt because teams already know what they need to know about Luongo. 4 games this season wont change that fact.

Edited by canuckbeliever, 31 January 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#69 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Awesome! The LUUs will be electric tomorrow.

Schneider will be ready when his time comes. Leave it to Canucks fans to ruin a fantastic 1A 1B situation
Posted Image

#70 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

For as long as I remember AV has said that he'll play the HOT goalie. Starter or backup. Best goalie in the moment will start.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#71 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

People...what's the problem?! We have 2 great goaltenders. They make eachother better. When kesler and booth are back we have a good team. An extra sniper would be nice though.

Just be glad we have Lu and Schneider.

#72 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Honestly, whey the hell would Luongo want to stay in Vancouver after what has happened?

#73 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

For as long as I remember AV has said that he'll play the HOT goalie. Starter or backup. Best goalie in the moment will start.

In his presser before the AVs game, he also siad (when asked) his decision to start Lu had nothing to do with performance....

#74 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

AV seems to like generating controversy which is also a lot easier to do when the Canucks shield him from having to answer for it

#75 Beefcake

Beefcake

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!

#76 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Lou came off a loss and got the start vs. an easy team to beat (avalanche). Is this was about going with the goalie because he is winning, don't think so. If they wanted to get Cory's confidence up they would have played him vs. the avalanche, but they didn't even though he should have had the start.

Now the question is why? We all know that Lou has asked for a trade and MG is shopping him, so why would they be playing Lou over Cory in a easy win game? I recall Cody was moved up to the second line right before he was traded, it's all about showcasing, and that's why Lou is starting vs. a team that he has had trouble with. Show the prospective trade partners what they want to see. Everyone knows he's on the block.

I don't think people should get upset that Cory is getting the shaft and I don't think Lou fanboys should start there finger pointing just yet because this has showcasing written all over it.

All you Lou fanboys jumping up and down that Lou is getting the starts will be crying soon when it becomes apparent why he was getting the starts.

On that note I hope he plays a great game on Friday and all of us that want him traded should hope the same. ;)

#77 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Awesome! The LUUs will be electric tomorrow.

Schneider will be ready when his time comes. Leave it to Canucks fans to ruin a fantastic 1A 1B situation

Exactly! Everytime one of our goaltenders makes a little mistake or is exposed by our defencemen you people start a riot overhere! Just support whoever is playing!!! Period!

I'm a Lu fan! But please try not to ruin a good situation...it's something thats keeps coming back here at CDC!

#78 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

This game will be huge. If Luongo wins it, he's our starter again no questions asked, but that's a big "if". Chicago are still yet to lose in regulation and are owning just about every stat in the league right now.

Big game for a big-game goalie.

That is quite a jump into absolutes there. What if Lu gets lit up and chased out of the game, then? Does that mean he's backup no questions asked?

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#79 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Wow...I usually support AV's moves, but I don't like this one. Schneider is supposed to be our #1 and thus he should get the big games. He's riding the hot hand I suppose, but still...not a good move IMO.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#80 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Lou came off a loss and got the start vs. an easy team to beat (avalanche). Is this was about going with the goalie because he is winning, don't think so. If they wanted to get Cory's confidence up they would have played him vs. the avalanche, but they didn't even though he should have had the start.

Now the question is why? We all know that Lou has asked for a trade and MG is shopping him, so why would they be playing Lou over Cory in a easy win game? I recall Cody was moved up to the second line right before he was traded, it's all about showcasing, and that's why Lou is starting vs. a team that he has had trouble with. Show the prospective trade partners what they want to see. Everyone knows he's on the block.

I don't think people should get upset that Cory is getting the shaft and I don't think Lou fanboys should start there finger pointing just yet because this has showcasing written all over it.

All you Lou fanboys jumping up and down that Lou is getting the starts will be crying soon when it becomes apparent why he was getting the starts.

On that note I hope he plays a great game on Friday and all of us that want him traded should hope the same. ;)

I am pretty sure GM's around the league know what they are getting with Luongo. Its not like he turned into a terrible goalie. He made a couple of mistakes that ended up in our net and in order to deflect responsibility from the rest of the team and the coach, Luongo lost his starting job in the playoffs. Honestly, Schneider was not much better and did not save the team there. Every other GM knows Luongo is still a damn good goalie.

#81 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Im a big Schnieds fan, and feel he should be our guy going forward....

But the Luuu chants to close out last nights game gave me chills, didn't even have to be there, could feel it from my couch.

#82 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

This game will be huge. If Luongo wins it, he's our starter again no questions asked, but that's a big "if". Chicago are still yet to lose in regulation and are owning just about every stat in the league right now.

Big game for a big-game goalie.

I'd say Lu has to do more than just win it, but if his save percentage is .930 or more I'd say he might very well win back the job.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#83 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I am pretty sure GM's around the league know what they are getting with Luongo. Its not like he turned into a terrible goalie. He made a couple of mistakes that ended up in our net and in order to deflect responsibility from the rest of the team and the coach, Luongo lost his starting job in the playoffs. Honestly, Schneider was not much better and did not save the team there. Every other GM knows Luongo is still a damn good goalie.

Lou looks like he has a little more swagger this year they are showcasing it. It's not a matter of other GM's knowing what Lou has to offer, it's showing the ones that are close to making a deal that he hasn't lost his step.

#84 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Shutup nino nobody likes you and your stupid lame opinions. :)

The truth hurts? You can always block me you don't have to get abusive. :)

#85 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wow - I am surprised.

We shutout the Avs...a team we have dominated for years now...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#86 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Wow - I am surprised.

We shutout the Avs...a team we have dominated for years now...

Just my point, you play the goalie you want to look good in that game.

#87 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

He earned it.

canucks141.png

#88 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Showcasing him for trade to Chicago ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#89 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

No I like to get abusive, if I saw you I would deck you in your face you women. Are you feelings hurt from words?

Are you trying to get a ban? Really if you don't like what I have to say you can hide my posts in the options. Your disagreement to my opinions is not worthy of a ban is it?

Edited by Nino, 31 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#90 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

POPULAR

To anyone that says Schneider is supposed to be our number 1. When did management/coaching ever say that?

As long as Luongo and Schneider are here, we have two number 1's. Why people have to make such a big deal over it, and try and act like it's controversial is beyond me.

It's a good thing to have two top goalies. It seems like fans spend more time debating the goalie situation, then actually rooting for the team.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.