#91 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Here's a thought...

Maybe AV likes using LU because he's better at covering up the failed D zone system AV employs?

Cory is a very technically sound goaltender who, in a well run defensive system, will always be in position and make the saves. Lu isn't as technically strong so some that he should have stopped will get through.

On the other hand, Lu is more athletic than Cory in his style. This gives him the advantage when the D coverage breaks down and grade A/unexpected scoring opportunities arise that he can "flash the leather" or kick out a pad in dramatic fashion and stop.

Playing Lu could be more about covering AV's butt than anything else.

#92 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,730 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Haha, I'm wrong again.

Well, I get this but didn't expect it. Go Lu. Hot hand it is.

I agree...especially with the time constraints - our mission, first and foremost, is to win....we'll sort the rest out later. And, if Lu's shutting things down and getting the W's, then we have to follow this path and play him out. Nothing has been set in stone except that we have to win.

Posted Image

#93 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Here is the issue I have

Both Luongo and Schneider were the lone bright spots on an otherwise terrible road trip.

We all knew the Avs offence was enemic and whoever was in net had a good chance at having a solid performance especially considering the fact both goalies have looked good

Canucks decide to put Luongo in a situation where he cannot fail but by doing so they screwed themselves over. If he won and had a solid performance they would have to go back to him and there was a strong likelihood of that. For that reason, it made 0 sense to start Luongo last night as odds are both goalies would have had great performances last night (and we knew this prior to the game)

If Schneider is your starter he should have played last night and he sure as heck should be playing in one of the marquee matchups the year against our biggest rival.

IAlso, if Schneider is your starter then Luongo shouldnt be playing splitting games (4 for both after tomorrow).

All of this makes 0 sense and Gilles/AV come across as idiots.

Also for those of you that feel the need to argue Gilles is showcasing Luongo well he really isnt because teams already know what they need to know about Luongo. 4 games this season wont change that fact.

Do you, and thousands of other people not understand that Schneider is not the starter. Not the #1. No one has ever said he is. :picard:

#94 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think both goalies are very good, one with a more proven record, the other with a potentially higher ceiling (must be very high to be more than Luu).

Roberto has been a proud and professional teammate during what must be a very difficult time. I don't think he really wants to leave. I think the organization owes it to him to share the crease instead of hailing Schnieds as the only number one. Play the hot hand and make Cory outright take the position or wait until we get a good deal in return for Luu. Unless Luongo gets another shutout they will almost certainly be going back to Cory to keep him fresh. Cory understands the situation (he is smart) and should not feel in any way that he is being slighted (because he is not). Don't forget that Cory and Luu are friends and have a strong mutual respect for each other. Cory has played 4 games to Luu's 3 and Luu is coming off a shutout. It only makes sense to play him again, IMO. Although there is the potential to screw it all up, I think the goalies and organization are far too professional to botch what is the best goaltending tandem in the league. Cory will get his turn, Luongo deserves his already.

#95 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

The hotter goalie gets the start. There is no controversy except the ones fans and media make up in their head. Lou just came off a shut out. If that disturbs the dressing room in any way then this team is not a team at all. Play the hot hand. Lou is still part of this team and shouldn't be benched for no reason except that there are talks of him getting traded. No one in the organaization has ever stated Cory is the number 1 goalie. They have always said that they will do what's best for the team including Cory and Lou. When Cory gets his time to shine and plays well I have no problems with the Canucks riding him either. The win is what matters.

The ignorance of some people on this thread is ridiculous.

Anyone who's played a team game knows you plays to win....not for individuals to shine.

#96 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Do you, and thousands of other people not understand that Schneider is not the starter. Not the #1. No one has ever said he is. :picard:

Did you not see the interviews where cory was asked about his new role as #1 and he acknowledged how much he was looking forward to the role?

The whole affair has been handled like the KeyStone cops by the Nucks. What a soap opera.

#97 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Lou looks like he has a little more swagger this year they are showcasing it. It's not a matter of other GM's knowing what Lou has to offer, it's showing the ones that are close to making a deal that he hasn't lost his step.

So what happens if he gets shelled? ;)

#98 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

So what happens if he gets shelled? ;)

Then it's not going to workout well. I think he will play well he looks like he's on his game. If they are trying to showcase him he has to play a good team.

#99 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Im sorry man...what you say may be true but...we don't lose games on purpose to save a players feelings. We play to win...cory is a professional...he'll be fine.

But how would we be "los[ing] games on purpose" by playing Cory? I don't think you'd find a lot of hockey fans that would not have confidence that Schneider would perform well too.

And isn't it counter productive to have your "other #1" sit and rust so long between starts? I think we are just lucky that Cory seems to have an almost super-human ability to not take it personally after he put in so many years as backup and was all but promised to be the sole #1 this year and now is told they are taking that idea back. (Linden on 1040 right now agrees that Cory would not be happy and that it can effect the whole dressing room)

So I just hope its a matter of not necessarily "showcasing" Lu, as he doesn't have to in any way to prove himself, but more of showing him off to keep him in the highlight reels, to nudge other GMs and keep Lu in the spotlight.

Canucks decide to put Luongo in a situation where he cannot fail but by doing so they screwed themselves over. If he won and had a solid performance they would have to go back to him and there was a strong likelihood of that. For that reason, it made 0 sense to start Luongo last night as odds are both goalies would have had great performances last night (and we knew this prior to the game)

Agreed.

#100 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well, if Luongo was going to play bad, this is probably the game he would do it in.

I say, if he has trouble, lets in 2+ bad goals. Let Schneider take over again, but if he locks it down like he did last game, I would stick with him till he has a stinker.

Yes I'm supporting Luo, and yes I do think he needs to be traded, but you have to play your best goalie, and currently that's Luo.

#101 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,844 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

It's a funny situation, to be sure. Schneider is currently riding a 202-minute shutout streak against the Avalanche, and they had a 1st line in those games.

Then again, if I were another team interested in Luongo, one deterrent I'd see is his penchant for slow starts. Will he start this shortened season like those in the past, and need 4-5 weeks to get going? Because in this short, compressed season, 4-5 weeks can kill your shot at the playoffs. A second concern may be that he is getting older, and had lost a step stats-wise last season...just a blip, or a new trend?

Playing him this much, given how he's playing, are proving that he's in top form.
Posted Image

#102 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

The hotter goalie gets the start. There is no controversy except the ones fans and media make up in their head. Lou just came off a shut out. If that disturbs the dressing room in any way then this team is not a team at all. Play the hot hand. Lou is still part of this team and shouldn't be benched for no reason except that there are talks of him getting traded. No one in the organaization has ever stated Cory is the number 1 goalie. They have always said that they will do what's best for the team including Cory and Lou. When Cory gets his time to shine and plays well I have no problems with the Canucks riding him either. The win is what matters.

The ignorance of some people on this thread is ridiculous.

Anyone who's played a team game knows you plays to win....not for individuals to shine.

So...are you thinking along these line then:

AV will play a goalie until he loses, then switch. Play that goalie, until he loses. Then switch.
Except for back to backs, in which case he will switch anyways.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#103 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Did you not see the interviews where cory was asked about his new role as #1 and he acknowledged how much he was looking forward to the role?

The whole affair has been handled like the KeyStone cops by the Nucks. What a soap opera.

Please show me where AV or MG said Schneider is the number 1. Oh yeah, I'm also pretty sure the media doesn't decide who the #1 is like you so ignorantly think they do.

#104 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Until rask took over.

Until Thomas re-gained his starting role and won a Stanley Cup.

Then Rask took over 2 years after right now.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#105 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

The only assumption I can make is that a trading partner wants to see more of Luongo. If Schneider knows this is the reason, then no issues at all.

If this is something else though, what a cluster!@#$. Everyone in the team office has said that Luongo is being traded, they can't really back off of that now.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#106 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

But how would we be "los[ing] games on purpose" by playing Cory? I don't think you'd find a lot of hockey fans that would not have confidence that Schneider would perform well too.

And isn't it counter productive to have your "other #1" sit and rust so long between starts? I think we are just lucky that Cory seems to have an almost super-human ability to not take it personally after he put in so many years as backup and was all but promised to be the sole #1 this year and now is told they are taking that idea back. (Linden on 1040 right now agrees that Cory would not be happy and that it can effect the whole dressing room)

So I just hope its a matter of not necessarily "showcasing" Lu, as he doesn't have to in any way to prove himself, but more of showing him off to keep him in the highlight reels, to nudge other GMs and keep Lu in the spotlight.

Agreed.

I think Trevor is right and would know. Those saying this is just how a tandem work are being deliberately obtuse. Cory has been more than patient and re-signed here instead of going to FA because he knew he would be the starter. Otherwise, it makes no sense for him to sign here. He could have got a starter's job and more money elsewhere.

Cory is too professional to let the public know how he feels but this is a distraction for the team and someone like Trevor Linden knows how bad this can be in the long-term.

I only hope it is part of a strategy tied to a trade, otherwise it is a glaring example of mismanaging key assets. It's not like this is the first time AV has alienated key players on this team.

#107 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Please show me where AV or MG said Schneider is the number 1. Oh yeah, I'm also pretty sure the media doesn't decide who the #1 is like you so ignorantly think they do.

So you're saying Cory would determine on his own and say pubicly, he is lookign forward to his new role as #1 if AV and/or MG hadn't said that? ANd this coming off signing a new contract.

DO you work at being obtuse or does it come naturally?

#108 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

So...are you thinking along these line then:

AV will play a goalie until he loses, then switch. Play that goalie, until he loses. Then switch.
Except for back to backs, in which case he will switch anyways.

I'm thinking it's going to be situational. Also the circumstances of the win or loss. If we win but by out scoring the bad goals on us then I think a switch is in order. If we lose but the goalie kept us in the game the whole time then continue to ride him.

For back to back games I'm sure goalie fatigue will play a factor in all situations.

I'm sure what goes on in practice plays a factor as well into his decision. Lots of things always happen during practices that don't always make sense to those that are not there. I've been demoted after a great game cause I came to practice with a hang over and did awful in practice and I know I deserved it.

#109 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

When the GM has said very plainly and publicly that they are trying to deal Luongo (even that there is currently a deal in place)... and Luongo has stated publicly that he knows he is being traded... then anyone but a complete numbskull understands who the #1 goalie is.

A hint for you... it is NOT the player they have all said is NOT in their future plans....

They simply don't want to phrase Luongo as a back-up because that implies he is not as good and could affect the trade scenarios.

A good hint before you post something. When you think thousands of people are wrong, and you are right... it generally means you are wrong and/or off your meds.

Edited by Provost, 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#110 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Probably one of the stupidest post ever read on CDC. Congrats

#111 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

:picard:

Cory continues to pay for his one bad start. The first game after a long layoff.

This could be a disaster. Not for the upcoming game. But for the club in general. I have confidence in Lu winning the Chicago game, but what does this do to Cory's confidence and his relationship with the Canucks? Is that really worth it? Its not as if Cory wouldn't have the same chance to win in Chicago, this is all on AV and his love of his pets.

I really really hope this is all about showcasing Lu and NOT some kind of reconsideration of who Gillis is going to trade.

Corey will play. There is a 48 game season, and Luongo is playing his rear off at the moment. There is no rush to trade either and no one is the "starter" per se. Eventually, Schneider will get the starts too. It has nothing to do with his first game or his stats. AV/MG have total confidence in both goalies.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#112 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Luo's been playing better and deserves this. I'm happy.
Posted Image

#113 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

The problem was how the team made it clear at the start of the season Cory was #1, my only thinking for this is MG thought for sure Lui would be gone before it would become a issue but even so why not say something like "as long as both goalies play for the team we are going to play the goalie we think gives us the best chance to win." then the fuel is not there but now of course fans and media are going to jump all over this. Plus did they really think if Lui played great AV was going to bench him for Cory?

#114 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Here's a thought...

Maybe AV likes using LU because he's better at covering up the failed D zone system AV employs?

Cory is a very technically sound goaltender who, in a well run defensive system, will always be in position and make the saves. Lu isn't as technically strong so some that he should have stopped will get through.

On the other hand, Lu is more athletic than Cory in his style. This gives him the advantage when the D coverage breaks down and grade A/unexpected scoring opportunities arise that he can "flash the leather" or kick out a pad in dramatic fashion and stop.

Playing Lu could be more about covering AV's butt than anything else.

Riggggggggggggght..... :picard:

Hot hand. That's all. Right now the only controversy is with fans and the flipping media.
Posted Image

#115 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Love it, all the kiddies freaking out, the media trying to make more of it than there is. This forum is going to be epic of immature and stupid post about who the number one is. Sit back and enjoy the stupid and immaturity meter of this forum to reach an all time high. :towel: :frantic: go canuck fans :lol:

Van has two goalies that are number ones.Coach AV looks like he is going to ride the hot goalie. Much like he did towards the end of last year.
Go Van, take advantage of your unique situation and when the time is right pull off the big trade that wins the cup. :canucks:

#116 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

@CraigJButton: Luongo & Schneider just keep playing as called upon, compete, help team win & don't make waves but somewhere in there is a controversy???

Craig Button has always come across as a good dude.
Nice tweet

Edited by Noheart, 31 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#117 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

No surprised he has been great for us and right now in my opinion gives us the best chance to win.
Posted Image

#118 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Luongo has been playing better so far this season, he just played two great games. Why wouldn't you want the hot goalie in net? It's about winning. Not about giving "the number one" all the big games.

g3HKFnX.png

#119 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Lol. Will you guys chill the F*** out. Just because he gets a couple of starts doesn't mean that he has taken over again. He's playing better, so that's why he's playing. Schneider will see the net again, you can be sure of it
Posted Image

#120 Dun Caesar

Dun Caesar

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image
Lex Luger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.