The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo to start vs Hawks

Strombone1

This game will be huge. If Luongo wins it, he's our starter again no questions asked, but that's a big "if". Chicago are still yet to lose in regulation and are owning just about every stat in the league right now.

Big game for a big-game goalie.

I am pretty sure GM's around the league know what they are getting with Luongo. Its not like he turned into a terrible goalie. He made a couple of mistakes that ended up in our net and in order to deflect responsibility from the rest of the team and the coach, Luongo lost his starting job in the playoffs. Honestly, Schneider was not much better and did not save the team there. Every other GM knows Luongo is still a damn good goalie.

To anyone that says Schneider is supposed to be our number 1. When did management/coaching ever say that?

As long as Luongo and Schneider are here, we have two number 1's. Why people have to make such a big deal over it, and try and act like it's controversial is beyond me.

It's a good thing to have two top goalies. It seems like fans spend more time debating the goalie situation, then actually rooting for the team.

Here's a thought...

Maybe AV likes using LU because he's better at covering up the failed D zone system AV employs?

Cory is a very technically sound goaltender who, in a well run defensive system, will always be in position and make the saves. Lu isn't as technically strong so some that he should have stopped will get through.

On the other hand, Lu is more athletic than Cory in his style. This gives him the advantage when the D coverage breaks down and grade A/unexpected scoring opportunities arise that he can "flash the leather" or kick out a pad in dramatic fashion and stop.

Playing Lu could be more about covering AV's butt than anything else.

Haha, I'm wrong again.

Well, I get this but didn't expect it. Go Lu. Hot hand it is.

I agree...especially with the time constraints - our mission, first and foremost, is to win....we'll sort the rest out later. And, if Lu's shutting things down and getting the W's, then we have to follow this path and play him out. Nothing has been set in stone except that we have to win.

Here is the issue I have

Both Luongo and Schneider were the lone bright spots on an otherwise terrible road trip.

We all knew the Avs offence was enemic and whoever was in net had a good chance at having a solid performance especially considering the fact both goalies have looked good

Canucks decide to put Luongo in a situation where he cannot fail but by doing so they screwed themselves over. If he won and had a solid performance they would have to go back to him and there was a strong likelihood of that. For that reason, it made 0 sense to start Luongo last night as odds are both goalies would have had great performances last night (and we knew this prior to the game)

If Schneider is your starter he should have played last night and he sure as heck should be playing in one of the marquee matchups the year against our biggest rival.

IAlso, if Schneider is your starter then Luongo shouldnt be playing splitting games (4 for both after tomorrow).

All of this makes 0 sense and Gilles/AV come across as idiots.

Also for those of you that feel the need to argue Gilles is showcasing Luongo well he really isnt because teams already know what they need to know about Luongo. 4 games this season wont change that fact.

I think both goalies are very good, one with a more proven record, the other with a potentially higher ceiling (must be very high to be more than Luu).

Roberto has been a proud and professional teammate during what must be a very difficult time. I don't think he really wants to leave. I think the organization owes it to him to share the crease instead of hailing Schnieds as the only number one. Play the hot hand and make Cory outright take the position or wait until we get a good deal in return for Luu. Unless Luongo gets another shutout they will almost certainly be going back to Cory to keep him fresh. Cory understands the situation (he is smart) and should not feel in any way that he is being slighted (because he is not). Don't forget that Cory and Luu are friends and have a strong mutual respect for each other. Cory has played 4 games to Luu's 3 and Luu is coming off a shutout. It only makes sense to play him again, IMO. Although there is the potential to screw it all up, I think the goalies and organization are far too professional to botch what is the best goaltending tandem in the league. Cory will get his turn, Luongo deserves his already.

The hotter goalie gets the start. There is no controversy except the ones fans and media make up in their head. Lou just came off a shut out. If that disturbs the dressing room in any way then this team is not a team at all. Play the hot hand. Lou is still part of this team and shouldn't be benched for no reason except that there are talks of him getting traded. No one in the organaization has ever stated Cory is the number 1 goalie. They have always said that they will do what's best for the team including Cory and Lou. When Cory gets his time to shine and plays well I have no problems with the Canucks riding him either. The win is what matters.

The ignorance of some people on this thread is ridiculous.

Anyone who's played a team game knows you plays to win....not for individuals to shine.

Well, if Luongo was going to play bad, this is probably the game he would do it in.

I say, if he has trouble, lets in 2+ bad goals. Let Schneider take over again, but if he locks it down like he did last game, I would stick with him till he has a stinker.

Yes I'm supporting Luo, and yes I do think he needs to be traded, but you have to play your best goalie, and currently that's Luo.

It's a funny situation, to be sure. Schneider is currently riding a 202-minute shutout streak against the Avalanche, and they had a 1st line in those games.

Then again, if I were another team interested in Luongo, one deterrent I'd see is his penchant for slow starts. Will he start this shortened season like those in the past, and need 4-5 weeks to get going? Because in this short, compressed season, 4-5 weeks can kill your shot at the playoffs. A second concern may be that he is getting older, and had lost a step stats-wise last season...just a blip, or a new trend?

Playing him this much, given how he's playing, are proving that he's in top form.

Archived