Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Should MG contact Phoenix about Luongo?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

First off, I think Luongo to Phoenix could do wonders for the franchise. Lu is an established franchise goalie, which could help sell tickets in the abysmal Arizona market.

Secondly, Luongo would give Phoenix a legitimate chance to win now, and become a playoff contender....something I'm sure Shane Doan would be very happy about.

Although Mike Smith played Lights out last year in the playoffs (for the most part) he has struggled out of the gate thus far and has some of the worst statistics in the league. Again, it's still early, and time will tell how he does. If he struggles however, I believe Gillis should really try and establish Phoenix as a trading partner for Lu, who I bet would waive his NTC to go and play in a non-pressure market where he still has a chance to contend for a cup. It's also a bit closer to his home in Florida, and similar climate too which might sway him to accept a deal to the Desert

For Vancouver, Phoenix has a lot of pieces that could be very beneficial for us, and either we could either gain a veteran (who we've had here before) who knows the system (Labarbera) or one of either Mike Smith (skilled backup) or more likely Chad Johnson....not Ocho-Cinco

Maybe this is the mystery team Gillis was talking about in his interview?

Here's a rough idea of what I'd hope a trade with PHX would look like:

To VAN-
C-RW-H.Sammuellson (future PWF, Edmonton Oil Kings)
C-Martin Hanzel (25 yrs old, 3rd line #'s)
1st rd pick 2013

To PHX-
G-Roberto Luongo
LW/RW-Mason Raymond (adds speed to PHX top 9
2nd rd pick 2013

Luongo---->Sammuellson, 1st rd pick 2013
Raymond,2nd---->Hanzel

I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether you think Phoenix needs Luongo, whether or not he would be a good fit in the Desert because I ceraintly think he would be, and what pieces you'd want out of Phoenix

Discuss,
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#2 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Does Mike Smith evaporate?

kb71ZMt.jpg

#3 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not a chance. Why would Phoenix, of all places, trade future pieces for a high priced goaltender when they already have one? They are in no position to contend.

#4 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

The owner cant even afford to keep the team there, how is he going to afford paying Luongo.
Mike Smith is all they need.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#5 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Does Mike Smith evaporate?

Yes Mike Smith has an expiration date! Feb 15 2013 is tatooed on his forehead
Posted Image

#6 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

[DISCUSSION] Should we just go ahead and start referring to them as the Seattle Coyotes?

#7 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,855 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

^ Quebec Coyotes

#8 ro0

ro0

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I doubt Luongo waives his no trade to go to Phoenix of all place and potentially into another eventual goalie controversy with Smith. No reason for Phoenix or Luongo to make this move.

The owner cant even afford to keep the team there, how is he going to afford paying Luongo.
Mike Smith is all they need.

Owner? What owner?

Is she a dress wearer or a pants wearer? Could you share a rowboat? Could a rowboat support her? Would an average size rowboat support her without capsizing?

#9 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

If they move to seattle I suggest they change the logo to a pomeranian in a purse.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.