The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did you know?

J.I.A.H.N

As Bizarrely funny as this has started to be. The point is that announcers state stats for 2, 5, 10 games all the time, they use it to illistrate improvement or drops in play and such. Many times we have heard Ron McLean or Shorthouse or a plethera of other colormen say, that "his goals against average has been below 2.00 in the second half of the season. It is all the same, use as many games as you want. As my friend say earlier, our goalies (The Canucks) are under 2.00 GAA in the past 5 games....which is exactly what TSN, CBC, Rogers, etc would say......here is a secret....shhh..... they do it in most team sports........but you guys have your fun, maybe I take this too serious, but I am on point on this point!........and .....Hey Joe! I would imagine in your 70 + years you have heard those types of stats thrown out to us a few times? LOL

I don't even know where to start with this.

There's a fine line between erasing an entire game's stats to improve a player's average and using stats as numerical evidence that no games could have been won in Boston.

Actually, it's not even a fine line. It's a crude, thick, easy-to-spot line. Taking out Schneider's first game to improve stats? This is warping the reality and it is completely untrue. However, to disregard the fact that the team was able to score a combined total of 4 goals in the 3 road games is folly. There is no manipulation involved in this. No goalie could gave won a game in that series given that kind of goal support and the garbage D as well.

You seem to live in Calgary, why don't you cheer for them?

If the purpose of this thread was to "reassure" those armchair goalie critics, then you're already losing this battle. (aka No need to post this thread) If this is to "reassure" Canucks fans...then this is a pointless thread because actual fans have already written that off as a bad game and easily moved on to believing in their team in the present and future. (aka No need to post this thread)

Although, yes. The method of isolating samples is a very real and legitimate statistical method of evaluation, but the way you presented that idea was absolutely terrible. So the fact that you got such responses is not a surprise. You get a +1 for concept but a -3 for execution. You seem like an intelligent fellow so the math should be obvious.

I've broken it down for you objectively. Do we still have a problem? In the end, whatever the reason, this was a pointless thread where you've put yourself in a lose/lose situation.

You know, we have played 7 games and I point out 1 very small point, and sarcasim runs rapid. The fact the half of CDC like wants Schneider to play most games and the other half wants Luongo to, the fact that there are so many bandwagoners on here, ah geesh what a bunch of sarcastic jerks, you guys are probably the sames guys game in, game out that critisize anyone that points out the obvoius, but don't have much important to say yourself.

So I suppose you phoned up 1040 to day and said to Gillis......no kidding it wasn't Cory's fault, no kidding no one showed up! People running around here with their heads cut off and you can't make valid points. The point WAS that it was only the first 1/2 of the first game of a no preseason, shortened training camp season and that people need to relax, cause it isn't so bad. And it is a small sample size.......point was that after you take that first 30 minutes off, his stats are basically what have been for the past 2 years. and that is good.

And Joe, because you are older than dirt, doesn't give you the right to be a donkeys rear, you should know better! Take the point in the spirit that it was given.........or why don't you and your friends put out some opinions that make points, instead of your normal conforming middle of the road dribble. Grow a pair, or is it too late?

If the purpose of this thread was to "reassure" those armchair goalie critics, then you're already losing this battle. (aka No need to post this thread) If this is to "reassure" Canucks fans...then this is a pointless thread because actual fans have already written that off as a bad game and easily moved on to believing in their team in the present and future. (aka No need to post this thread)

Although, yes. The method of isolating samples is a very real and legitimate statistical method of evaluation, but the way you presented that idea was absolutely terrible. So the fact that you got such responses is not a surprise. You get a +1 for concept but a -3 for execution. You seem like an intelligent fellow so the math should be obvious.

I've broken it down for you objectively. Do we still have a problem? In the end, whatever the reason, this was a pointless thread where you've put yourself in a lose/lose situation.

As Bizarrely funny as this has started to be. The point is that announcers state stats for 2, 5, 10 games all the time, they use it to illistrate improvement or drops in play and such. Many times we have heard Ron McLean or Shorthouse or a plethera of other colormen say, that "his goals against average has been below 2.00 in the second half of the season. It is all the same, use as many games as you want. As my friend say earlier, our goalies (The Canucks) are under 2.00 GAA in the past 5 games....which is exactly what TSN, CBC, Rogers, etc would say......here is a secret....shhh..... they do it in most team sports........but you guys have your fun, maybe I take this too serious, but I am on point on this point!........and .....Hey Joe! I would imagine in your 70 + years you have heard those types of stats thrown out to us a few times? LOL

Joe, please read this and say it isn't so......come on! I remember you telling me you coached hockey......how did you know what goalie to put in, if you didn't keep at least loose stats, and know who was playing better over a 2 week time according to the stats, even if you kept them in your head, you used them. You know announcers use them, so man up and admit!

As for any insults I may have spewed directly or indirectly at you, as a previous poster showed me, I could also do better!

Please accept my apoligy.....but don't pull finger and won't pull yours! I would how ever accept any respectful opinions on how to change a posting that might work better or at the very least debate it,,,,I have no problem doing that,,,,,,,,sorry to hear about your butt though! LOL Peace man! Lets leave the beers empty on the table!

Throw out all of the stats you want, Luongo still couldn't win a game in Boston, the years before he choked against Chicago. I can get the same results from a backup goalie for 4 million less and way les ego

Throw Kassian on a line with the twins, and he's a beast, it doesn't change the fact that Hodgson wanted out of Vancouver either

I am probably being a little sensitive, but Iam a little disapointed in you Aladeen, you are usually a good writer and don't follow, but maybe I just missed those ones. It was only a simple point.....did you phone 1040 and jump Gillis? Disappointed!!!! Beneath you!

Yeah, every sports writer, columnist, journalist, coach, manager, scout, owner, players, and 99.9% of fans think sampling stats is EXTREMELY effective.

But hey I guess since you post on CDC you are smarter then everyone else in hockey so your way is better.

What are you talking about? You made some bad points deal with it. I have no idea what you mean by phoning 1040 and "jump Gillis" You can't just take games out of stats randomly. I'm sorry there Mr. Sensitive but there is no value to statistics if you manipulate them however you want to suit your point/argument. To create an entire topic to manipulate Cory's stats is not only pointless it has no value. No one questions that Cory isn't a great goalie but his stats are what they are. It will be up to him to improve those stats with solid goaltending.

I don't even know where to start with this.

There's a fine line between erasing an entire game's stats to improve a player's average and using stats as numerical evidence that no games could have been won in Boston.

Actually, it's not even a fine line. It's a crude, thick, easy-to-spot line. Taking out Schneider's first game to improve stats? This is warping the reality and it is completely untrue. However, to disregard the fact that the team was able to score a combined total of 4 goals in the 3 road games is folly. There is no manipulation involved in this. No goalie could gave won a game in that series given that kind of goal support and the garbage D as well.

You seem to live in Calgary, why don't you cheer for them?

Guys; So far were following a very obvious formula arent we?

I dont know that its just playing a "Hot" goalie. I dont think its that the coach/owners/staff expects one to be better than the other...

So far were just playing a goalie until he loses, then we switch netminders. isnt that exactly what everyone wanted?

So just as a point of discussion

If you take the game against Anahiem out of Cory Schneiders stats you will leave him with the following stats:

93 shots...................6 goals total..........................184 minutes approx.

Leaves him with aprrox. 1.98 GAA and a 935 Save percentage............in just over 3 games.

Now don't call me on exact numbers, cause I did it quickly, but it is real close! And just behind Luongo in both categories, and around 5th over all........And yes I know you can't take the first game away, but I did.

Just to be fair, Luoie's stats would improve too! But this wasn't about Luo. Just wondering what the answer was. And Please, if I am wrong, correct it, but I think I am close!

So the glass is half full! Cheers! Gotta love numbers!

So just as a point of discussion

If you take the game against Anahiem out of Cory Schneiders stats you will leave him with the following stats:

93 shots...................6 goals total..........................184 minutes approx.

Leaves him with aprrox. 1.98 GAA and a 935 Save percentage............in just over 3 games.

Now don't call me on exact numbers, cause I did it quickly, but it is real close! And just behind Luongo in both categories, and around 5th over all........And yes I know you can't take the first game away, but I did.

Just to be fair, Luoie's stats would improve too! But this wasn't about Luo. Just wondering what the answer was. And Please, if I am wrong, correct it, but I think I am close!

So the glass is half full! Cheers! Gotta love numbers!

Look at this Schneider enthusiast.

"Oh, let's disregard the Anaheim game and compare his stats with Luongo's! They're nearly identical!"

Fact is, he played that game. And he lost. He played against San Jose. Allowed 4 goals. He is clearly not able to handle the #1 role just yet. Sure, he's consistent and he's a good goalie, but to be able to consistently put up solid numbers is tough to handle, and that is why Luongo will always be the #1 till the day he is no longer a Canuck.

Archived