108 replies to this topic

#61 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

To add: Take a look at what Scott does right after KOing Thornton....looks right back up at the Bruins bench with his fingers up. It may seem very primal, but intimidation plays quite a role in the NHL, especially in tough match ups.

Yep. Sad, but it's the way it goes: check out the Bolduc fight, because they kind of cruised along in front of the Vancouver bench- the looks of nervousness, anxiousness and disgust. The players (safe) on the bench try to move away from what's happening. There's some deep psychological unease going on there.

#62 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Beauty uppercut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJcnDsu4nE

Thornton hasn't played since that fight. Possible concussion. Then Bruins went on to play the worst game of their season so far, giving up 6 goals, plus 1 EN. Bunch of pussies just don't know how to react if all the sudden they realize that they don't have the blank cheque to goon other teams.

I think I just let out a Ric Flair, Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, after watching this video, I seen it earlier on TSN but damn, double damn, that just made my night right there!!! That's almost as satisfying as seeing that d-bag Eager get concussed by Kassian!!!!! Anyone notice how unusually quiet Thornton was sitting in the box there, ususally he is chirping away at the other player in the penalty box!!! Bahahahahahahahhahaha

#63 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Today Thornton will tell everybody he had to fight 7 Sabres at once including Scott.

#64 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

lol at the boston bashing threads. it was two years ago, lets move on.

he definitely looks concussed. not a gigantic loss for the bruins since about half their roster can fight, but you never want to see concussions. good game by the sabres, i think that's the way to beat the bruins; play physical and grind them down. the score isn't indicative of how close the game was, but vanek was just unstoppable.

i still don't think the sabres have enough skill, goaltending, or depth to win the northeast division.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#65 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,217 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

@RenLavoieRDS: Bruins Shawn Thornton will be out for 7 to 10 days. Concussion.

307mg00.jpg

#66 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Who on the Canucks has the stones to take on John Scott?

Why bother when you can skate around him?

Nice to see the Boston announcers turn that into how much of a goon Scott is compared to how good a teammate Thorton is to stand in there and do his job. I'm sure that's exactly what they said in the first rematch after the Lucic/Miller incident where one of the Sabres (who was it, Gaustad?) took on Lucic.

Nope, all class as usual and they clearly applauded Gaustad for his attempt to stand up for his team while diminishing Lucic winning the fight:
http://youtu.be/7dDIquszMTA

We know Scott's doesn't do much more than take up a roster spot, but relying on the Boston sports media to give an objective account of something is like expecting Marchand to not be hypocritical about slewfooting and playing dirty.

Hmmm... Almost sounds like, oh I dunno, an enforcer!

Just so there's no confusion, I don't advocate getting a player like Scott in our lineup (I know you mentioned you aren't suggesting we go trade for him either). I know some here will however.

This won't be a regular occurrence at Sabres/Bruins games. Just as I mentioned with the Bieksa quote earlier, you skate around him and score when he's on the ice, you don't stand up to him every time. The Bruins might try and goad him into take a penalty, but I doubt they pair up with him at the next faceoff to throw down again.

The make up of the Bruins does cater to the toughness, so they have less leeway to back down from something like this. Imagine what people would say if there was a situation similar to the Weise/McQuaid/Thornton incident where Thornton thought he was going with Regher next game and Scott stepped in just as Thornton drops his gloves. Thornton wouldn't hear the end of it if he backed out rather than get beat down again, but we'd sure hear how it was such a dirty move.

If they do fail to win the physical match up with Buffalo this year and continue to lose to them on the scoreboard, it will look really bad for them, but if a skilled team plays their game against any team with a goon then it's not nearly as bad, and great if they win.

lol at the boston bashing threads. it was two years ago, lets move on.

he definitely looks concussed. not a gigantic loss for the bruins since about half their roster can fight, but you never want to see concussions. good game by the sabres, i think that's the way to beat the bruins; play physical and grind them down. the score isn't indicative of how close the game was, but vanek was just unstoppable.

i still don't think the sabres have enough skill, goaltending, or depth to win the northeast division.

I might agree on the depth part - although even then they aren't that bad it's just they're a little younger and less experienced in their depth - but I don't know that I could say they're less skilled or that their goaltending is suspect.

Edited by elvis15, 01 February 2013 - 11:04 AM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#67 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

How the hell does one recover from a concussion in 7-10 days? Boston Bruins magic?

He got killed in this fight.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#68 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

How the hell does one recover from a concussion in 7-10 days? Boston Bruins magic?

He got killed in this fight.

There isn't much brain there that needs repairing ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#69 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

There isn't much brain there that needs repairing ::D

Suddenly Horton's miraculous recovery makes sense as well..

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#70 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Of course he mocks Scott by saying "Scott averages all of 3:25 a game, he has 1 career goal"

Rather than just accepting that Thornton bit off more than he could chew. And stating in a non-bias fashion that neither player has really any skill and are just there to fight and be an intimidating presence.

Oh well.

Edwards is a hypocrite, true - the guy rabidly taunts opposition players when the Bruins get the upper hand.
But to suggest that Thornton is just there to fight is reductive - as much as I dislike the B's, he's actually a decent hockey player - scored 10 goals, was a +8 and threw a hell of a lot of hits (more hits than pm) in limited minutes en route to their Cup a couple years ago. I see Thornton in a class with Chris Neil - a tough guy who intimidates but can reasonably skate and play the game - not just a pylon there to punch people.

Edited by oldnews, 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#71 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yep. Sad, but it's the way it goes: check out the Bolduc fight, because they kind of cruised along in front of the Vancouver bench- the looks of nervousness, anxiousness and disgust. The players (safe) on the bench try to move away from what's happening. There's some deep psychological unease going on there.

To this day I still don't understand... In a team of Rypien, Bieksa, O'Brien, Hordichuk (well... He was busy with Boogaard), and Glass, the one guy to go with Scott was 185 pound Bolduc.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#72 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

This incident, and the timeout Ruff took with 13 seconds left in the game, are a pre-cursor to when Boston visits Buffalo next .. Lucic and Charra were NOT their usual douche-bag selves last night after Thorton ate his mouthguard ..

I wonder if Charra and Lucic will find a reason to miss that next Sabers home game? .. bullies to the core .. :lol:

(You Lucic bum-boys can relax .. I am having you on .. Milan is all man .. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Tearloch7, 01 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#73 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Must be tough to tell if Thornton has a concussion, given his baseline reading must be so significantly low to begin with.

That said, Thornton is probably the best fourth line guy in the entire league, and I would love to have him on this team.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#74 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Must be tough to tell if Thornton has a concussion, given his baseline reading must be so significantly low to begin with.

That said, Thornton is probably the best fourth line guy in the entire league, and I would love to have him on this team.

As much as I hate myself for saying.... I kinda do too...

I miss Torres...

To tell you the truth, the only players I wouldn't want from Boston are Lucic and Marchand.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 01 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#75 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Edwards is a hypocrite, true - the guy rabidly taunts opposition players when the Bruins get the upper hand.
But to suggest that Thornton is just there to fight is reductive - as much as I dislike the B's, he's actually a decent hockey player - scored 10 goals, was a +8 and threw a hell of a lot of hits (more hits than pm) in limited minutes en route to their Cup a couple years ago. I see Thornton in a class with Chris Neil - a tough guy who intimidates but can reasonably skate and play the game - not just a pylon there to punch people.

He's no Chris Neil but he is far better than Scott.

zackass.png

#76 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Too bad Scott didn't go all Gino Odjick and take on an entire line ::D

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#77 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

As much as I hate myself for saying.... I kinda do too...

I miss Torres...

To tell you the truth, the only players I wouldn't want from Boston are Lucic and Marchand.

Milan Lucic > Shawn Thornton. I'd take Lucic on my team over Thornton any day of the week.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#78 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Milan Lucic > Shawn Thornton. I'd take Lucic on my team over Thornton any day of the week.

Yeah, but I don't like Lucic.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#79 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Nor I .. he is an over-grown bully .. but he could give Scott a good fight unless he wets himself first ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#80 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I know but if Lucic was in our lineup...........

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#81 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

And this is why you need enforcers on your team.

If you have 1 great one, your whole team gets motivated.

The game was 0-0 and then your enforcer absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY destroys one of the best fighters in the game today and knocks him out of the game.

If I would have been on that Sabre bench, I would have played with more passion that's for sure. I'd be pumped the f%$# up.

#82 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Scott looked disinterested while handing out that vicious beating.

Edited by Industrious1, 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#83 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

"oh, thornton lost an edge and it's all over"
Posted Image

#84 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Would've been even better if that was Marchand he beat up.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#85 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Good.

Thornton sucks. He shouldn't be in the NHL because the doesn't have the skill technically or mentally. The only reason he is is because he can beat people up.
Posted Image

#86 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

could Buffalo waive him so we could borrow him for a few games then we waive back to them lol.

#87 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Kevin Bieksa quote On John Scott: “If a 6-foot-8 guy who can’t skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal.”

Maybe Thornton should have taken this piece of advice, it would have saved Him an injury. His fight after all did nothing to help his team.

#88 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,517 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Good.

Thornton sucks. He shouldn't be in the NHL because the doesn't have the skill technically or mentally. The only reason he is is because he can beat people up.

Thornton is perfectly capable of holding down a roster spot on all 30 teams, he has talent and the ability to back it up.

MessiSig.jpg

Credit to: MrNHLFanatic

#89 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtl8cSqVwX0

The Hoff is standing there enjoying every second of that beating.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#90 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thornton is perfectly capable of holding down a roster spot on all 30 teams, he has talent and the ability to back it up.

Very much debatable
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.