The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadians make run on TV antennas to watch U.S. Super Bowl ads

dudeone

Canadians make run on TV antennas to watch U.S. Super Bowl ads

By David Brown | Shutdown Corner5 hours ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/canadians-tv-antennas-watch-u-super-bowl-ads-205520993--nfl.html

What do Canadians covet from the U.S. more than anything else?

Is it our socialized medicine? Our unparalleled macrobrews? Our legendary curling industry? They all might be good answers it's really our hilarious Super Bowl commercials that our neighbors to the north desire.

Many of the commercials that everyone talks about on social media and at the water cooler the next day at work in the U.S. aren't shown in Canada because the products they represent aren't marketed in the same way. Different markets, different commercials.

For example: The Volkswagen one with the kid in the Darth Vader costume? Yeah, apparently people in Calgary are just finding out about that.

Canadians could watch the Ravens and 49ers online via unauthorized streaming or check YouTube five minutes later for those commercials uploaded there, like with Volkswagen Vader. But the picture is lousy by comparison on a funky web stream, and who wants to wait for the latest from Spuds McKenzie and soccer-playing Budweiser Clydesdales?

But for people who live near the U.S. border and close enough to our airwaves, there's another way.

The CBC reports:

In Windsor, Ont., right across from Detroit, dealers and installers are getting almost daily — sometimes panicked — requests for the receivers.

“It always a little rushed. They want it done by this Saturday,” said Russ Gray of Gray’s Radio and TV Service.

He’s been in business for 51 years. Wednesday, he was installing a 10-metre (30-foot) TV antenna for a customer in Essex County, southeast of Windsor. The person wanted the job done in time for the big game.

“It always seems to be a last-minute thing. They only start thinking about it three weeks ahead,” Gray said.

Thirty-foot TV antennas! So we're not talking about a set of rabbit ears, apparently. You'd think this would become less and less of a phenomenon every year with Canadians installing 30-foot monstrosities on every other lot of land. A 30-foot tower isn't like a Christmas tree you throw in the mulch pit after every holiday. This is the aluminum kind you fold up and stow in the basement. Or keep planted in the ground.

Toronto can pick up Buffalo's television signals pretty well because of minimum interference by Lake Ontario, but some viewers install "free-to-air satellite" receivers to get a better picture. Man, this is a lot of work just for Super Bowl commercials that — I swear — most people find disappointing once they air.

And all for a country that doesn't even have an NFL team! Well, not yet anyway. First they steal our commercials, the next thing you know they're stealing our Buffalo Bills.

I don't watch the game for the commercials, but CTV is terrible.

The last 4 Sundays I have listened to the Big Bang theory song 1000 times, and did you guys know the show, the motive débuts after te Super Bowl. Only heard that about 100000000000000 times

CTV sucks

oh great, more people going crazy over everything but the actual game.

sometimes i feel like i am in the minority when im only intrested in the game.

i can ignore all the other bs, but the one thing that really annoys me most about it, that has a direct result on the actual game play is the loooooong half time show..

i just dont get it. I love music and concerts as much as anyone else. But if i want to watch some random "artist" i probably dont even like perform their music, i can do that at another time. I just dont see why the half time shows are so popular and people go crazy over it. I just want the game to start already, and i presume alot of players would feel the same way

end rant/

oh great, more people going crazy over everything but the actual game.

sometimes i feel like i am in the minority when im only intrested in the game.

i can ignore all the other bs, but the one thing that really annoys me most about it, that has a direct result on the actual game play is the loooooong half time show..

i just dont get it. I love music and concerts as much as anyone else. But if i want to watch some random "artist" i probably dont even like perform their music, i can do that at another time. I just dont see why the half time shows are so popular and people go crazy over it. I just want the game to start already, and i presume alot of players would feel the same way

end rant/

Yeah, I think most people are retarded if they just want to watch stupid commercials for products they won't even buy. It's about the game to me, biggest stage in the world, and all people care about is the commercials or who plays at halftime. Hell, does anybody remember who won Super Bowl XXXVIII? Probably not, because that was when Janet Jackson had her "wardrobe malfunction."

It's just become more of a spectacle rather than a football game, but I guess the people who watch it for those reason don't really matter, the people that matter know what it's truly about.

Does anyone know if we can watch the American Commercials on one of the HD channels on Shaw? Or all of the channels replaced with Canadian ones?

Its fine for you guys in Toronto but watching with Antennas is really hard in the Vancouver areas because of the hilly terrain. You need to be high up to catch US channnels.

Does anyone know if we can watch the American Commercials on one of the HD channels on Shaw? Or all of the channels replaced with Canadian ones?

Its fine for you guys in Toronto but watching with Antennas is really hard in the Vancouver areas because of the hilly terrain. You need to be high up to catch US channnels.

at the end of the day, the ads themselves have become apart of the spectacle that is the Superbowl. And whether we intend to buy the products or not, we like to be entertained.

for the past decade we have come to expect great ads and messages, where companies spend millions of dollars on advertising just to entertain fans in hopes that some day down the road, the message will affect their purchasing decision.

sports today is so commodified, its hard to have one without the other

I'm with you on this. I don't care for the commercials or the halftime show, but if I can get the US feed, I'll watch it.

I was at a superbowl party last year where they had the sound off for the entire game so people could talk, and they turned the sound on and hushed everyone for the halftime show, before muting it again for the 3rd quarter.

I'm staying home this weekend.

I've been considering an OTA antenna but not for the SB. The only thing keeping me on cable is Canucks games ...and maybe the Food Network. Otherwise I'd be cutting the cord, going OTA an using Netflix more.

The amount of money I spend on cable to watch Canucks games and a few other shows is ridiculous. I'm getting a little pissed just thinking about it :angry:

Archived