The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Grand Theft Auto V

JaGuaR

How come none of us thought about that one yet ^...

It seems so obvious now with the money in the logo.

I love the games but I dont do the stories I just run around causing random chaos. I have owned 3 of them and never once completed a mission.

Wow you're missing out then.

Look at the V in the logo upside down. It looks like a A with a spade in the middle.. ace of spades. Paired with the "money" colouring and design on the V I'd say it's either set in Vegas or gambling will have a big part in the game.

aceofspadesgtav.png

I bought the strat guide and everything for GTA IV. Went through getting all the pigeons only to find out when I was done I was 99/100.... frustration to say the least.

I think R* realized they needed a bit more "fun" in the game when they brought out the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC. Hopefully they keep that flair for entire GTA V.

Oh as the Vegas comment above, don't think it means anything. Look at this old 5 silver dollar bill, the stylized 5 is practically identical.

indian-five-dollar-bill.jpg

Well scratch any Europe ideas:

GTA 5: Does Dan Houser Interview Hold Clues?

Tom Hopkins

Recent Dan Houser quotes hint at GTA 5 ideas.

Published on Oct 25, 2011

Grand Theft Auto 5 became official yesterday, and although details are still scarce, a recent interview with Dan Houser on the GTA franchise could hold a few answers regarding the direction of the game's development.

Speaking in a recent interview with EW, published while the developer was planning it's GTA 5 surprise, Houser talked about the way Rockstar has approached previous GTA titles, while sharing his thoughts on aspects of the franchise, and hinting at what could come next.

Houser says that development begins with a place and a time period, then ideas for a protaganist – then the development team starts work on story and missions, which he describes as “the same thing, hopefully, by the time the game comes out.”

The developer notes that the map, building, character, narrative and gameplay designers all start in unison, but the map needs to be in place as early as possible “because the design guys can’t really do anything till there’s bits of map made to do it in.”

“You can make anything fun, or anything boring,” he added, cryptically. “Particularly in the high-definition era, it may be more about making random things seem fun, and putting a weird variety of things in there. Games aren’t supposed to be reality. They’re supposed to be the reality if reality was what you see on TV, and listen to, and how advertising is. It’s the reality of the media, not the reality of the reality.”

Houser also hints that the game won’t be influenced by any recent acclaimed crime TV series, saying that he didn’t watch much Sopranos, The Wire or Sons of Anarchy. “Everyone steals from everywhere, but you want to be bringing in random and abstract ideas from different sources, rather than something that’s treading over the exact same ground that you’re treading over,” he added.

Houser does enjoy Mad Men though, adding that it faces the same challenges as the GTA makers in making situations, such as office life, “interesting and engaging.”

The Rockstar man adds that “pretty much any era can be made interesting,” but does suggest that GTA 5 will stay in the US, because “Grand Theft Auto is about the Americana, about the American media.”

L.A. appears to be the frontrunner for GTA 5's main city.

Talking about how he’d approach the 2000’s era of GTA III all over again, Houser said: “In that particular period - apart from the stock market collapse that was then obscured by the credit bubble - there was very little pain in the world,” adding: “To mine some of that - what now seems like naiveté - you couldn’t not do that now.”

Is Rockstar planning to parody the global financial crisis with GTA 5’s characters, adverts, radio stations and TV shows? The cash-themed ‘V’ logo certainly fits the suggestion, and the subject ties in with criminal themes too.

“Things you were worried about seem stupid because they didn’t come true. And things you weren’t worried about, you should have been worried about, because they did come true. It’s been a very tumultuous decade,” Houser added. Clearly, he's had a while to think about it.

Non-linearity is key to the game experience Houser concluded, saying that Rockstar puts as much effort as it possibly can into its worlds. “We do as much as we have time for and can think of. We go a little bit crazy on that stuff, and are constantly trying to find new little things that people can discover,” he said.

It certainly doesn't sound like Rockstar's going to reinvent the wheel in GTA 5 - but further parody of the US media, probably during the current era, seems a certainty.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1106466/gta_5_does_dan_houser_interview_hold_clues.html

They're definitely going to upgrade San Andreas or make a whole new Las Vegas.

Just like what they did with the whole new Liberty City.

I don't think Rockstar would start a story in a different city then those famous 3. They're just going to remodel and revamp them for now.

Liberty City

San Andreas

Vice City

They're definitely going to upgrade San Andreas or make a whole new Las Vegas.

Just like what they did with the whole new Liberty City.

I don't think Rockstar would start a story in a different city then those famous 3. They're just going to remodel and revamp them for now.

Liberty City

San Andreas

Vice City

I agree. I think it's easy to expect GTA V to be in San Andreas, and GTA VI could be in Vice City.

Nice. But will it be the size that San Andreas was? Will it include all the areas from SA?

I saw the golden gate bridge in there, or the GTA equivalent of it. So it could be safe to assume that San Fierro is in it. Due to the GTA 5 logo itself, it seems to hint that Las Venturas is in it as well. Just speculation though at this point.

Archived