Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Alain Vigneault: A Problem

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Alain Vigneault: A Problem (147 member(s) have cast votes)

If the Canucks don't go far into the playoffs this season, will Alain Vigenault get the bum's rush?

1. Yes. He has lost the support of his team and has been woefully irresponsible in airing his dirty laundry. (55 votes [31.98%])

Percentage of vote: 31.98%

2. What? He won the Jack Adams, man! He is AV. He has gotten us to the Stanley Cup Finals! I can't believe you dare question him. (35 votes [20.35%])

Percentage of vote: 20.35%

3. Who's Alain Vigneault? (8 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. I propose letting Rick Bowness get the head coach job and Vigneault become assistant coach. (15 votes [8.72%])

Percentage of vote: 8.72%

5. I could really go for a salad right now (59 votes [34.30%])

Percentage of vote: 34.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Big freakin' deal. Some decisions are made at game time.

Didn't Lou pretty much say that himself when he said to the press he was willing to waive his NTC?

Kesler did need to use his line mates more. We already knew that. Had he used his line mates his production would have been better. The two are rather connected.

You'll have to prove that one to me. The first time anybody from the team said anything about Daniels injury was AV confirming he had a concussion. Prior to that it was the typical "upper body injury".
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...concussion.html

In summary:
Big deal
AV Spoke the truth
AV Spoke the truth
You got it wrong

I'd say AV is doing better than you. In fact, I'd say you're clutching at straws simply to complain about AV for the pure sake of complaining.

Gee a tad touchy there, eh Baggins? And what are you doing in this post but complaining about what I have said.

Anyschways, having a bit more tact as a coach and not publicly airing his dirty laundry is the right thing to do. It makes the team one is coaching trust in them more. Talking to the media about players shortcomings is negative, no matter how your Middle Earth walking, lambas bread eating, ring loving brain tries to deny it.
Posted Image

#62 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

you can't panic every time you go down 1-0 and start mixing up lines just cause you are losing..

I referring more to a couple of different playoff series.

#63 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I referring more to a couple of different playoff series.

And the ones we won? Those ones were by accident?

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#64 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

If AV gets let go. Someone will pick him up ASAP.

#65 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

You seem to be getting flamed generously OP, but you are right on the money with some of your points.

He does say stupid things to the press, like suggesting Kesler wasnt injured last season for example. Theres nothing to be gained by saying such things, he just has this unfortunate knack of alienating players for no good reason.

Concern about the team's play is justified. They were very mediocre in the final half of last season, and they owe their record last year to outstanding goaltending. There is no point in denying that the team was sleepwalking on many nights, and their powerplay was lethargic and predictable.

Although its very early, it hasnt been great that far. Their lack of a decent powerplay and enthusiasm are concening. Their first periods on home ice (especially) continue to be awful.

Unfortunately its too late now. He has been re-upped and I can only hope he knows what he is doing, and finds some way to get this team to play with a lot more passion.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 01 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#66 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

It's sad when salad is the best option you offered....
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#67 mj vic

mj vic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Got a hankering for a nice heap of steaming haggis, to go along with my salad of course.

#68 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

For me it's just not a salad if it doesn't have garbanzos in it.

#69 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

What sauces? Sweet and Sour? BBQ? Honey Mustard?

I like to go off the board. Marinara, Chipotle, Alfredo. You have to keep it varied.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#70 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Gee a tad touchy there, eh Baggins? And what are you doing in this post but complaining about what I have said.

Anyschways, having a bit more tact as a coach and not publicly airing his dirty laundry is the right thing to do. It makes the team one is coaching trust in them more. Talking to the media about players shortcomings is negative, no matter how your Middle Earth walking, lambas bread eating, ring loving brain tries to deny it.

I'm 'touchy' for pointing out the stupidity of your post? Or are you being 'touchy' with this response because I pointed it out?

I see talking to the press about a players shortcomings as a motivator to correct it. AV isn't the first to use the tactic and won't be the last. It often works. I'd rather a coach say it like it is than sugarcoat it with cliches.
Posted Image

#71 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm 'touchy' for pointing out the stupidity of your post? Or are you being 'touchy' with this response because I pointed it out?

Perhaps you should rinse the sand from your nether regions. Are you near a water source?
Posted Image

#72 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Didn't AV also falsely accuse Coho of malingering with his back injury? What a stupid comment that was.

#73 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Best coach we've ever had.

That's not saying much.

#74 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

That's not saying much.

Pat Quinn

#75 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

The ignorance is strong with this one

Use the force

#76 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

AV is not the problem. How about a little support canucks fans. :picard:
Posted Image

#77 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Didn't AV also falsely accuse Coho of malingering with his back injury? What a stupid comment that was.

Perhaps you should go back and review the details of that particular situation? Lord knows it's been discussed enough on this board. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 for the Monday morning quarterback.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#78 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Pat Quinn

... Was a better coach than AV. I agree. Also a better GM than MG.

#79 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

And the ones we won? Those ones were by accident?

Missing the point Trag.. When the system works it's no accident.
One of my petty complaints or criticisms of AV is that he has a tendency to sit on his thumbs and not attempt to change enough when he's obviously taking the wrong approach.

In particular: the LA series last year when he did nothing, in any way to change things up after he was clearly being out matched/ coached... and Blackhawks 3yrs ago when they let the Hawks PK gain the zone and set up with the big Buf right in front of Luongo every damn time. They failed to pressure the puck, they just played their little zone D and got worked,, and that's why we lost the series that year.

Not looking for agreement here because you obviously think Coach V is a perfect french genius; a master of the dump and chase is the only coach we need. There's no question he's done a great job in Van and his record proves it, but every last one of us (normal people) can be better at what we do and so can superheroes like AV.

#80 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

It went like this:

Throughout camp: My back is fine, feels good.
Throughout pre-season: My back is fine not bothering me at all.
Gets reassigned to junior: Oh my back!

A reporter asked AV what he thought about Cody saying his back bothered him and AV responded with, "Kind of sounds like he's making an excuse for a poor pre-season". Now the kids been telling you his back is fine and not bothering him for a month and then the moment he gets cut he's complaining about his back. What would you think? There's really only two options: he wasn't honest about his back for a month or he was using it as an excuse for a poor pre-season showing. Which is better - Liar or making excuses?

I've maintained all along that if he had been honest about his back the real problem would have been found a lot sooner.
Posted Image

#81 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

What's the point of moaning about AV when there isn't a better alternative available. Who would you like? Crawford? Wilson? Iron Mike?
C'mon folks...get behind your team. He's the best option we have.

#82 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Av's problem is he only knows one way, is unadaptable and defend a lead or die method.
But his biggest problem is his love for dump amd change and no attack offence

#83 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

... Was a better coach than AV. I agree. Also a better GM than MG.

Maybe as a coach ok but as a GM Quinn had his share of blunders too. Quinn made some great trades along with the bad. He also had better draft positions then Gillis. He Wasn't always a favorite with the fans and media. Why do you think the call him standing Pat? And thats way before the Salary cap. Gillis's team hasn't missed the playoffs nor has his team finished below .500 so until his team starts doing that for a few years straight then we can compare those stats between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.