The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Jarome Iginla would probably consider ending his career with the Penguins"

I think that he should sign with Pittsburgh in the summer. With the signings that Calgary made last year, they're not even playoffs contenders IMO, his only chance is in another team. Pens need a winger, Sid needs a good partner, just go there. Perhaps the Penguins' last year draft picks are ready in a couple year, so defense should look better, giving them the whole package.

First of all at the start of the year Iginla has said him self, He loves calgary and would love to finish his career off in calgary but he wants to win and he wants to win a stanley cup. Calgary is at point (if they keep losing) where keeping iginla has no purpose. At the end of the year he is a UFA. He will be getting offers of easily 3-4 years, $6 mil plus. Calgary would have no interest in paying him that. Why keep a short term high salary guy when going deep in the playoffs isn't their short term reality. Calgary is also not going to watch him walk away at the end of the year without getting any assets in return. It's pretty common knowledge here in calgary that if playoffs seem out of the picture by trade deadline iginla will be gone.

On a side note. calgary radio fan 960 has been talking about what his value is and they feel he's worth a; high end prospect, a 1st, and a role player (kassian type mold without as much scoring talent).

That Top 6 is nothing to be scared about. Sure, Crosby and Malkin are top 5 players in the NHL but if they're shut down for a whole series, where will the scoring come from? Teams from the East in my eyes that can shut down not only Crosby, but Malkin at the same time in an entire seven game series are the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers. Otherwise, the Pens would just steamroll over anyone who dares to come in their path.

It will be interesting to see where he goes, if he goes. But with the new cap system, 20 million over 4 years may be more realistic. Last year I could see Iggy worty a prospect, first, and a role player. With so little time left on his contract, he would only fetch that if Calgary let him talk with the other team about a guarantee to resign.

If Iggy is leaving at the end of the year, J-Feast better start a firesale ASAP. Let Baertschi, Backlund & Brodie get tons of ice time. Start experimenting with their other goalie, Kipper is almost done.

Cammo, Tanguay, Kippersoff, Iginla and Sarich could get some nice assets. Even a couple of depth guys like Jackman, although on a re-building team sometimes it's good to have good role players..

Why would they split Crosby and Dupuis up after playing together pretty much Crosby's entire career?

Crosby has stated in the past years that the one player he'd want on his line is Iginla. He has lots of respect for him and really liked playing with him in the Olympics.

Regardless of who just said this now... This is known and since it didn't come from either the Flames or the Pens organizations, this is not new info. Everyone already knows this.

"I heard Daniel Sedin wants to finish his career with Henrik Sedin"

As others have said Button is speculating. That'd be a more fitting title, "Button thinks Iginla would accept a deal in Pittsburgh," as it certainly isn't Iginla saying it or even anyone saying they heard it from Iginla (or a source close to him) directly.

I never said he was GM, I said he was responsible for drafting Iggy and since he was heavily involved in their scouting department you can bet he had a big say in who to pick. Your point about personal friends divulging info you don't want leaked is noted but how else will this awkward separation get started?

The last few years they've been talking about this. Ownership doesn't want to look like they're pushing him out by asking him to waive the NTC and Iggy doesn't want to look like he's jumping ship thus, rightly or wrongly, tarnishing his legacy.

Don't know which team has worse management, Calgary or NYI. Calgary desperately needs a rebuild and should have started a few years ago.

Need to trade Iggy and Kiprusoff for whatever they can get. J-Bo could be a fit in Detroit.

I would love to see Iginla play with Crosby. Crosby with another star player would make his line that much more deadly.

The only way it happens if he asks for a deal or Feaster suggests it to him or he walks away as a UFA , Iginla is highly respected in Calgary and if done the right way i belive they would fully understand that his career is nearing an end and that reality is the flames are not serious contenders and respect that he would like one more serious chance at a cup to end his career but to be honest Iggy is so invested in Calgary and its fans ( Like Linden was in Vancouver ) that he just rides it out in Calgary until the end of his career

If I was a Flames fan....

....sorry, almost choked there.....

..... I'd be ecstatic if Iggy asked for a trade. Get something decent while you can.

Pittsburgh has many excellent D prospects in Maata, Despres, Pouliot, Bortuzzo, Harrington, Morrow, and Dumolin. If Calgary can get one or two of those players plus a first it would be huge for the organizational turnaround.

Archived