The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider Interview

Erik Karlsson

Well it a good thing for the credibility of the HHOF that shootouts and wins alone aren’t the only reason goalies get into the HHOF.

Take the last twenty years, only 4 goalies have made it into the HHOF. Take a look at their accomplishments and then try to tell me that Luongo belongs in the near future.

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,

• Conn Smythe.

• William M Jennings Trophy

• 4 Stanley cups

2003 Grant Fuhr

• Vezina ,

• 5 Stanley cups

• 6 All-star appearances

2006 Patrick Roy

• 3 Vezina ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 5 William M Jennings Trophy

• 4 Stanley cups

• 6 All-star appearances

• 3 Conn Smythe

• 11 All-star appearances

2011 Ed Belfour

• 2 Vezina’s ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 William M Jennings Trophies

• Stanley cup

• 6 All-star appearances

Luongo

• Mark messier leadership award

• Gold metal

• 4 All-star appearances

Unless Luongo has a dramatic next 10 years Luongo is not even close to being deserving to make the HHOF.

Just for fun let’s look at 2 goalies who will be future HHOF’s

Dominik Hasek

• 6 Vezina’s

• 2 Lester B. Pearson Award

• 2 Hart Memorial Trophy

• 3 William M Jennings Trophies

• 2 Stanley cup

• 5 All-star appearances

Martin Brodeur,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 Vezina’s

• 5 William M Jennings Trophies

• 3 Stanley cup

• 10 All-star appearances

• 2 Gold Metals

And then he has:

-Most career shutout

-Most career wins (only goalie to have over 600 wins)

-Most career saves.

Well he did sign a contract that should be fit for a number 1 goalie, and I'd say he's been pretty patient over the years waiting for his spot and this was supposed to be his year as a number 1 finally, so I can see why he would be somewhat pissed off. Lu is just playing too good not to play him though.

crap I think I'm a blind Lou lover to sucks to be me got to admit though luo looks incredible right now its almost like you know he won't be scored on easily its going to take a real quality chance to get the puck past him maybe the hockey gods are blind Lou lovers to lmfao :towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

Honestly, it does sound like Schneider is slightly put off by what's going on but AV and MG are clearly putting him and Lou through the grinder on purpose. So far Schneider has had no pressure on him and has flourished as a result and Lou has dealt with that in as classy a way possible. Now it's Schneid's turn to feel the heat and respond, both on the ice and to the media. If he does, the organization has a new franchise goalie. If not, the crowds at RA are already cheering Loooooooooouuuuuuuuu

Well it a good thing for the credibility of the HHOF that shootouts and wins alone aren’t the only reason goalies get into the HHOF.

Take the last twenty years, only 4 goalies have made it into the HHOF. Take a look at their accomplishments and then try to tell me that Luongo belongs in the near future.

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,

• Conn Smythe.

• 4 Stanley cups

2003 Grant Fuhr

• Vezina ,

• 5 Stanley cups

• 6 All-star appearances

2006 Patrick Roy

• 3 Vezina ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 Stanley cups

• 3 Conn Smythe

2011 Ed Belfour

• 2 Vezina’s ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• Stanley cup

• 6 All-star appearances

Luongo

• Gold metal

• 4 All-star appearances

Unless Luongo has a dramatic next 10 years Luongo is not even close to being deserving to make the HHOF.

Dominik Hasek

• 6 Vezina’s

• 2 Hart Memorial Trophy

• 2 Stanley cup

• 5 All-star appearances

Martin Brodeur,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 Vezina’s

• 3 Stanley cup

• 2 Gold Metals

And then he has:

-Most career shutout

-Most career saves.

I was one of the reporters in that throng... I definitely remember that quote. He didn't say it with a ton of gravity though; it was more of a joking "we'll we know what happened when I went into the last Olympics as backup" haha. But it did show some confidence. I think we could see a Thomas-esque season from Luongo (pre-bigotry Thomas).

I like how some people on here are jumping on speculation and citing sources that don't exist. If anyone can find a clip of Gillis or AV saying that Cory is to be the starter when he re-signed here I would looooove to hear it. The media made that up. No one in the organization ever said that including the goalies.

And I'm pretty sure Cory is annoyed with the media and their constant attacks on the goalie situation. Not wanting a trade or tired of the organization or that they are playing head games.

The organization has always said they will do what's right for the team and gives them the best chance to win. Both Cory and Loungo are handling it well and Cory knows he will get his shot if he works hard. He has said that so many times already. Same thing with Loungo when he's benched. These guys constantly praise each other and seem to genuinely like each other. They even room together on occasion. People need to stop drumming up unfounded conclusions and making wild speculations. That's why our media writes these stories, it's cause some fans just eat it up so much.

Schneids has the skill and can tap into his potential, although being that it may take a little time. Luongo on the other hand has alot of accomplishments under his belt, the team is as good as it is today because of him and the Sedin twins.. I'm curious as to how our team would actually do with out him on our roster? Would we continue at the same pace, or would our point totals take a dip??

For right now it looks as if the team is playing better with a proven goaltender in net as opposed to a rookie with lots of potential. I do indeed think it is definitely a distraction, no matter how you look at it- but I think they are just show casing Lu right now though (as they did Hodgson) to get a trade out of a needy team. I guess only time will tell, but damn is it ever going slow! lol

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this yesterday, but in response to a question regarding why he's going with Lui tonight, AV said something yesterday to the effect that he has the final call on lineup decisions, but that Gillis also provides his input.

A GM providing input into lineup decisions doesn't strike me as something that normally happens, so maybe there is something to the suggestion that Lui is being showcased.

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,

• Conn Smythe.

• 4 Stanley cups

2003 Grant Fuhr

• Vezina ,

• 5 Stanley cups

• 6 All-star appearances

2006 Patrick Roy

• 3 Vezina ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 Stanley cups

• 3 Conn Smythe

2011 Ed Belfour

• 2 Vezina’s ,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• Stanley cup

• 6 All-star appearances

Luongo

• Gold metal

• 4 All-star appearances

Dominik Hasek

• 6 Vezina’s

• 2 Hart Memorial Trophy

• 2 Stanley cup

• 5 All-star appearances

Martin Brodeur,

• Calder Memorial Trophy

• 4 Vezina’s

• 3 Stanley cup

• 2 Gold Metals

And then he has:

-Most career shutout

-Most career saves.

Good stats, except Gold Medals have nothing to do with the NHL, and you have All star appearances twice under Roy, and with different numbers. :frantic: I also think All Star Appearances are about as important as buying lunch for your teammates since they are completely arbitrary and don't reflect anything. I mean the entire Montreal first line made the All Star team a couple years back and they sucked. I do agree though that you the HHOF is looking at some great acheivements besides just a good stat pack.

On topic I had the opportunity to listen to the interview. He's not so much pissed as just annoyed with the same questions. It is really sad that the media can still be successful by repeating idiotic situations such as this. Even more sad is the fact that us the people obviously eat it right up.

Man, what is with this city and loving the backup? Its ridiculous how often that is the case. Everyone wants Schneider to be the starter, so he finally gets it. Not even 10 games in and everyone loves our backup goalie again. The same guy that everyone wanted Schneider to replace. This isn't new either. This goes back to before Cloutier and Auld. If your a backup in this city, chances are you'll be liked.

This is what i've been wondering since he signed it, if they think he's the new #1 and supposed future of our goaltending then why only a 3 year deal? why not 5 or 6+?

Almost seems like they aren't 100% ready to fully commit to him yet and want to see how the next couple years go, just like Montreal with Subban and only signing him for 2 years

Archived