172 replies to this topic

#61 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well he did sign a contract that should be fit for a number 1 goalie, and I'd say he's been pretty patient over the years waiting for his spot and this was supposed to be his year as a number 1 finally, so I can see why he would be somewhat pissed off. Lu is just playing too good not to play him though.

This is what i've been wondering since he signed it, if they think he's the new #1 and supposed future of our goaltending then why only a 3 year deal? why not 5 or 6+?

Almost seems like they aren't 100% ready to fully commit to him yet and want to see how the next couple years go, just like Montreal with Subban and only signing him for 2 years

#62 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

All this does is cement the fact that I can't stand the media. Do they really have to ask him this ???? question every ???? time?!

Get a life, holy crap.

RIP LB RR PD

#63 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

lou and cory should start giving identical responses everytime the question is asked. just make a joke of it. "we are taking it one game at a time...theres no i in team" see how many ways they can say it. in different accents and volumes. sometimes wispering and sometimes totally intense.

#64 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Luongo a future hall of famer? Unless he has a few more years where he put up unreal numbers and earns some hardware not likely.

lol are you kidding? Luongo has better numbers than some goalies currently in the HOF, and he's on pace to be 2nd in all-time wins behind Brodeur

#65 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,504 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I hope he's not pissed. That would mean within a few weeks of being the 'starter' he's already let the media and pressure get to him and he's not much of a team player.

Lets get this straight Cody Hodgson demanding Kesler minutes in his rookie year is not being a team player.
Schnieder isnt even demanding anything but he has 100% EARNED the shot unlike Hodgson.

#66 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is what i've been wondering since he signed it, if they think he's the new #1 and supposed future of our goaltending then why only a 3 year deal? why not 5 or 6+?

Almost seems like they aren't 100% ready to fully commit to him yet and want to see how the next couple years go, just like Montreal with Subban and only signing him for 2 years

Yeah, unless they want Cory to keep working and getting better and not being comfortable so he can score an even bigger contract, win win for both sides, and I'm sure they're kind of scared to give him a long contract after all the drama with Lu's.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#67 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

So glad the CDCers are not the GM or Coach of this team. This is a short season, we have two goalies who are both 1a and 1a. Both are paid handsomely and are both are professionals. Both honestly care about the team and both want whats best for the team. Eventually Lui will get dealt and CS will be #1 until then, it is a situation where we have a good problem, two elite goalies and you ride the hot hand.

How can people not see this? Cory is mad, just as mad as Luongo has been given he signed a 10+ year contract but lost is #1 spot.
I Love Lamp...

#68 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I hope he's not pissed. That would mean within a few weeks of being the 'starter' he's already let the media and pressure get to him and he's not much of a team player.

Get a life, he was told he was going to be the starter here that's why he signed the contact. Right now he is not getting the chance and AV is doing his best to fuel the fire.

You think Lou is really want to stay here the fans will boo him off the ice the first flop he has again most want him gone. Pissing off Cory is just short sighted we may end up with two goalie that want out.

#69 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Lets get this straight Cody Hodgson demanding Kesler minutes in his rookie year is not being a team player.
Schnieder isnt even demanding anything but he has 100% EARNED the shot unlike Hodgson.

And? He got it with the first game home opener and he blew it, and he looked mediocre against SJ. He's being outplayed right now so obviously we're going to see Luongo. If he's mad about it he has no one to blame but himself right now. The media here is always been like this. They always ask the same questions, always talk about the same crap. He's seen it as the back up for Luongo this entire time. If he really is pissed, then he really had no idea what he was getting into in the first place.

#70 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

In the same interview Schneids also said he was well aware that this scenario could play out like this so I don't for one second believe that Gillis did not have the same conversation with both Lui and Schneids about the possibility of this happening.

Schneids is just pissed off at himself for not taking advantage of the situation right now. He knows he's the goalie going forward but he's just disappointed and showing his competitive nature while still being the good teammate.

Meanwhile, Lui is loving this from the standpoint that he knows he's playing with house money so no pressure on him...he's just having fun. I remember his prophetic comments during the one week training camp where he made the analogy to his Olympic gold medal performance and how he'd come into that situation as the back-up and that we all know how that ended up. I figured right then and there that Lui was going to be focussed to not give up his starting position that easily.

I was one of the reporters in that throng... I definitely remember that quote. He didn't say it with a ton of gravity though; it was more of a joking "we'll we know what happened when I went into the last Olympics as backup" haha. But it did show some confidence. I think we could see a Thomas-esque season from Luongo (pre-bigotry Thomas).

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#71 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

lou and cory should start giving identical responses everytime the question is asked. just make a joke of it. "we are taking it one game at a time...theres no i in team" see how many ways they can say it. in different accents and volumes. sometimes wispering and sometimes totally intense.

see just how much sarcasm is humanly possible by having each of them (and AV) always answer with "Well THERE's a question I've never heard before!"
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#72 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Get a life, he was told he was going to be the starter here that's why he signed the contact. Right now he is not getting the chance and AV is doing his best to fuel the fire.

You think Lou is really want to stay here the fans will boo him off the ice the first flop he has again most want him gone. Pissing off Cory is just short sighted we may end up with two goalie that want out.

you think that Cory will get a different reaction? lol you should have heard the crowd at the opener after that 5th goal went in

Edited by Primus099, 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#73 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

So glad the CDCers are not the GM or Coach of this team. This is a short season, we have two goalies who are both 1a and 1a. Both are paid handsomely and are both are professionals. Both honestly care about the team and both want whats best for the team. Eventually Lui will get dealt and CS will be #1 until then, it is a situation where we have a good problem, two elite goalies and you ride the hot hand.

How can people not see this? Cory is mad, just as mad as Luongo has been given he signed a 10+ year contract but lost is #1 spot.

Lou lost his spot because of 3 years of bad playoffs, not one reg season game at the start of the season..... Little different.

#74 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Sorry, but his contract wasn't really a convincing 'starter' one to begin with. He's not getting the chance because he's been outplayed. He's still played as many games, Luongo is just playing right now since he's been playing better. Same thing happened last year when Schnedier was playing good even when Luongo came back from injury.

I already thought it was funny when Schneider signed and they gave him the option to walk at the end. It's not entirely possible that after Luongo is moved Schneider isn't happy with the media or team and walks at the end of his contract as well. Then it really would be a goalie graveyard.

#75 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sorry, but his contract wasn't really a convincing 'starter' one to begin with. He's not getting the chance because he's been outplayed. He's still played as many games, Luongo is just playing right now since he's been playing better. Same thing happened last year when Schnedier was playing good even when Luongo came back from injury.

I already thought it was funny when Schneider signed and they gave him the option to walk at the end. It's not entirely impossible that after Luongo is moved Schneider isn't happy with the media or team and walks at the end of his contract as well. Then it really would be a goalie graveyard.

Edited by sedated, 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#76 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

you think that Cory will get a different reaction? lol you should have heard the crowd at the opener after that 5th goal went in

Until Cory has 3 years of playoff flops yes I think he will get a different reaction.

Edit, I did hear the crowed and I don't think they were booing Cory.

Edited by Nino, 01 February 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#77 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I am personally annoyed at the media so I would not be shocked if our goalies are mad at the media, I did not hear the interview in question but on the news last night they played a small clip of Schenids being interviewed and asked him about Lu starting tonight, he said he was fine with it but did look really annoyed, but I think it was probably more because the media is being stupid and won't drop it!

Kinda cliiped yours, not out of disespect, but to make my point, btw, I agree with you.

What kinda stupid questions are these? "We were lead to believe you were the starting....." So was he. So was Lou. No doubt, Cory's off a little, but we have the ability to play either at the coaches discretion. What on earth did they expect him to answer? "Actually, I suck, I ripped the Canucks off on their contract because my good stats are an anomaly, I'll never repeat them." or did they expect" Jeez, I hate Lou, this sucks, either trade him, or trade me." Neither one is true, or gonna happen.

The media are idiots sometimes, and seem to be required to find drama, and if there isnt any, create some to fill dead air space. I like to keep up on stuff, but really tire of say TSN playing the same article over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Or, asking the same cheap questions. "Okay Mike (MGGM) do you have a deal with Toronto and who for and for how much? He's never going to answer a question like that before a trade, so why waste time asking it? There is only one possible explanation, it is the most intelligent question a sports reporter is capable of coming up with.
Sig too big.

#78 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Wow what a horrible interview no wonder Schenids sounds so annoyed. I wish the stupid media would just drop this they should stop being so stupid and just let the boys play.

m8itzp.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#79 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

He has the second most shutouts and wins career wise among active players...should be in the top 3 all time when his career finishes...does that mean every goalie below him shouldn't be a hall of famer?

Well it a good thing for the credibility of the HHOF that shootouts and wins alone aren’t the only reason goalies get into the HHOF.

Take the last twenty years, only 4 goalies have made it into the HHOF. Take a look at their accomplishments and then try to tell me that Luongo belongs in the near future.

1993 Billy Smith
  • Vezina ,
  • Conn Smythe.
  • William M Jennings Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
2003 Grant Fuhr
  • Vezina ,
  • 5 Stanley cups
  • 6 All-star appearances
2006 Patrick Roy
  • 3 Vezina ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 5 William M Jennings Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
  • 3 Conn Smythe
  • 11 All-star appearances
2011 Ed Belfour
  • 2 Vezina’s ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 William M Jennings Trophies
  • Stanley cup
  • 6 All-star appearances

Luongo
  • Mark messier leadership award
  • Gold metal
  • 4 All-star appearances

Unless Luongo has a dramatic next 10 years Luongo is not even close to being deserving to make the HHOF.

Just for fun let’s look at 2 goalies who will be future HHOF’s

Dominik Hasek
  • 6 Vezina’s
  • 2 Lester B. Pearson Award
  • 2 Hart Memorial Trophy
  • 3 William M Jennings Trophies
  • 2 Stanley cup
  • 5 All-star appearances
Martin Brodeur,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Vezina’s
  • 5 William M Jennings Trophies
  • 3 Stanley cup
  • 10 All-star appearances
  • 2 Gold Metals
And then he has:
-Most career shutout
-Most career wins (only goalie to have over 600 wins)
-Most career saves.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 01 February 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#80 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Cause you're a blind Lou lover and make a stupid comment regarding such everytime a goalie is mentioned. There is a tonne of media reports on the situation. Don't know how you missed it.

crap I think I'm a blind Lou lover to sucks to be me got to admit though luo looks incredible right now its almost like you know he won't be scored on easily its going to take a real quality chance to get the puck past him maybe the hockey gods are blind Lou lovers to lmfao :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

#81 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well it a good thing for the credibility of the HHOF that shootouts and wins alone aren’t the only reason goalies get into the HHOF.

Take the last twenty years, only 4 goalies have made it into the HHOF. Take a look at their accomplishments and then try to tell me that Luongo belongs in the near future.

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,
  • Conn Smythe.
  • 4 Stanley cups
2003 Grant Fuhr
  • Vezina ,
  • 5 Stanley cups
  • 6 All-star appearances
2006 Patrick Roy
  • 3 Vezina ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
  • 6 All-star appearances
  • 3 Conn Smythe
2011 Ed Belfour
  • 2 Vezina’s ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • Stanley cup
  • 6 All-star appearances
Luongo
  • Gold metal
  • 4 All-star appearances
Unless Luongo has a dramatic next 10 years Luongo is not even close to being deserving to make the HHOF.

Dominik Hasek
  • 6 Vezina’s
  • 2 Hart Memorial Trophy
  • 2 Stanley cup
  • 5 All-star appearances
Martin Brodeur,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Vezina’s
  • 3 Stanley cup
  • 2 Gold Metals
And then he has:
-Most career shutout
-Most career saves.

Good stats, except Gold Medals have nothing to do with the NHL, and you have All star appearances twice under Roy, and with different numbers. :frantic: I also think All Star Appearances are about as important as buying lunch for your teammates since they are completely arbitrary and don't reflect anything. I mean the entire Montreal first line made the All Star team a couple years back and they sucked. I do agree though that you the HHOF is looking at some great acheivements besides just a good stat pack.

On topic I had the opportunity to listen to the interview. He's not so much pissed as just annoyed with the same questions. It is really sad that the media can still be successful by repeating idiotic situations such as this. Even more sad is the fact that us the people obviously eat it right up.

Edited by Dogbyte, 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#82 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

If i got asked the same questions every time anyone talked to me, i'd be annoyed as well

#83 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well he did sign a contract that should be fit for a number 1 goalie, and I'd say he's been pretty patient over the years waiting for his spot and this was supposed to be his year as a number 1 finally, so I can see why he would be somewhat pissed off. Lu is just playing too good not to play him though.

he signed to contract while luongo was still here.. maybe he feels he has waited long enough... and if he feels that entitled i would rather he gets traded...playing in the nhl is a privilege not a right..

i still think mg made a mistake signing a 60 game back up to that big a contract.. ya he came in a played good in his 20 games a season.. but he has never had the pressure of being a number one.. and so far this season he has buckled..

besides he gets paid 3.5mil for one of the best seats in the house... his time will come...

he is probably sick of being asked about it.. every one know the media can be a@@es especially in van...

Edited by vwnuck, 01 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#84 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

crap I think I'm a blind Lou lover to sucks to be me got to admit though luo looks incredible right now its almost like you know he won't be scored on easily its going to take a real quality chance to get the puck past him maybe the hockey gods are blind Lou lovers to lmfao :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

Ha ha. I love Lou too, just not at the expense of everyone else. He has been playing very well, like the Lou of old. Can't wait for the game.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#85 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Honestly, it does sound like Schneider is slightly put off by what's going on but AV and MG are clearly putting him and Lou through the grinder on purpose. So far Schneider has had no pressure on him and has flourished as a result and Lou has dealt with that in as classy a way possible. Now it's Schneid's turn to feel the heat and respond, both on the ice and to the media. If he does, the organization has a new franchise goalie. If not, the crowds at RA are already cheering Loooooooooouuuuuuuuu

#86 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,906 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,
  • Conn Smythe.
  • 4 Stanley cups
2003 Grant Fuhr
  • Vezina ,
  • 5 Stanley cups
  • 6 All-star appearances
2006 Patrick Roy
  • 3 Vezina ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
  • 3 Conn Smythe
2011 Ed Belfour
  • 2 Vezina’s ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • Stanley cup
  • 6 All-star appearances
Luongo
  • Gold metal
  • 4 All-star appearances

Dominik Hasek
  • 6 Vezina’s
  • 2 Hart Memorial Trophy
  • 2 Stanley cup
  • 5 All-star appearances
Martin Brodeur,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Vezina’s
  • 3 Stanley cup
  • 2 Gold Metals
And then he has:
-Most career shutout
-Most career saves.

There you go, only has to win 1 Stanley Cup in the next 10 years and he should be in.

I didn't say he was a Hall of Famer now and a tleast I didn't "LOL'd" like you did to suggest he wouldn't be.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#87 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Listening to that interview makes me feel that he's pissed off at the media and the questions...

I don't think he's pissed off at the decisions but more about not starting in general.

#88 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I was one of the reporters in that throng... I definitely remember that quote. He didn't say it with a ton of gravity though; it was more of a joking "we'll we know what happened when I went into the last Olympics as backup" haha. But it did show some confidence. I think we could see a Thomas-esque season from Luongo (pre-bigotry Thomas).

You have to think though that while he may have said it half-jokingly, deep down he has a lot of pride and this was going to be a challenge he would take on.

And yeah, people seem to forget the Thomas/Rask scenario that really played out over 3 seasons. There are a lot of similarities. Didn't seem to negatively affect the Bruins as they went on to win the cup...plus in the end both goalies made out ok.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#89 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

There you go, only has to win 1 Stanley Cup in the next 10 years and he should be in.

I didn't say he was a Hall of Famer now and a tleast I didn't "LOL'd" like you did to suggest he wouldn't be.

No i'm pretty sure I said unless he earns some hardware he's not likely getting in.

Luongo a future hall of famer? Unless he has a few more years where he put up unreal numbers and earns some hardware not likely.

yep thats exactly what I said.

#90 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,906 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

No i'm pretty sure I said unless he earns some hardware he's not likely getting in.

yep thats exactly what I said.

Ooops...sorry about that - got you mixed up with someone else reply about "Lallu."

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.