172 replies to this topic

#91 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I like how some people on here are jumping on speculation and citing sources that don't exist. If anyone can find a clip of Gillis or AV saying that Cory is to be the starter when he re-signed here I would looooove to hear it. The media made that up. No one in the organization ever said that including the goalies.

And I'm pretty sure Cory is annoyed with the media and their constant attacks on the goalie situation. Not wanting a trade or tired of the organization or that they are playing head games.

The organization has always said they will do what's right for the team and gives them the best chance to win. Both Cory and Loungo are handling it well and Cory knows he will get his shot if he works hard. He has said that so many times already. Same thing with Loungo when he's benched. These guys constantly praise each other and seem to genuinely like each other. They even room together on occasion. People need to stop drumming up unfounded conclusions and making wild speculations. That's why our media writes these stories, it's cause some fans just eat it up so much.

Edited by DooBie604, 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#92 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I hope luo shuts them out tonight! I love both our tenders but I would love to add a little fuel to this FIRE!!

Posted Image

#93 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Todays plan is simple. Lou has to fight to Keith. Nothing to lose.

Hahahaha if he did and totally tuned him in I would trade Schneider tomorrow

#94 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Schneids has the skill and can tap into his potential, although being that it may take a little time. Luongo on the other hand has alot of accomplishments under his belt, the team is as good as it is today because of him and the Sedin twins.. I'm curious as to how our team would actually do with out him on our roster? Would we continue at the same pace, or would our point totals take a dip??

For right now it looks as if the team is playing better with a proven goaltender in net as opposed to a rookie with lots of potential. I do indeed think it is definitely a distraction, no matter how you look at it- but I think they are just show casing Lu right now though (as they did Hodgson) to get a trade out of a needy team. I guess only time will tell, but damn is it ever going slow! lol

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 01 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#95 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this yesterday, but in response to a question regarding why he's going with Lui tonight, AV said something yesterday to the effect that he has the final call on lineup decisions, but that Gillis also provides his input.

A GM providing input into lineup decisions doesn't strike me as something that normally happens, so maybe there is something to the suggestion that Lui is being showcased.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#96 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Well it a good thing for the credibility of the HHOF that shootouts and wins alone aren’t the only reason goalies get into the HHOF.

Take the last twenty years, only 4 goalies have made it into the HHOF. Take a look at their accomplishments and then try to tell me that Luongo belongs in the near future.

1993 Billy Smith

• Vezina ,
  • Conn Smythe.
  • William M Jennings Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
2003 Grant Fuhr
  • Vezina ,
  • 5 Stanley cups
  • 6 All-star appearances
2006 Patrick Roy
  • 3 Vezina ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 5 William M Jennings Trophy
  • 4 Stanley cups
  • 3 Conn Smythe
  • 11 All-star appearances
2011 Ed Belfour
  • 2 Vezina’s ,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 William M Jennings Trophies
  • Stanley cup
  • 6 All-star appearances
Luongo
  • Mark messier leadership award
  • Gold metal
  • 4 All-star appearances
Unless Luongo has a dramatic next 10 years Luongo is not even close to being deserving to make the HHOF.

Just for fun let’s look at 2 goalies who will be future HHOF’s

Dominik Hasek
  • 6 Vezina’s
  • 2 Lester B. Pearson Award
  • 2 Hart Memorial Trophy
  • 3 William M Jennings Trophies
  • 2 Stanley cup
  • 5 All-star appearances
Martin Brodeur,
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • 4 Vezina’s
  • 5 William M Jennings Trophies
  • 3 Stanley cup
  • 10 All-star appearances
  • 2 Gold Metals
And then he has:
-Most career shutout
-Most career wins (only goalie to have over 600 wins)
-Most career saves.

One name Mats Sundin, what does he have won in his career... if he's there Luongo will deserve to be an HHOF

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#97 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

What happens if he does get blown out tonight. I hope we don't, but say we loose 5-1. Not only will people be calling for the head of luongo but will his trade value weaken.

That and AV's leadership skills/decision making skills have to be seriously questioned.
If I'm AV, I stick with Schneider, hell or high water if for no other reason than to justify my decision to start him 3 straight games in the LA series, thus anointing him the heir apparent.
He essentially led MG to water and MG drank by signing Schneider to a starter's contract. Now there is a controversy, whereas there didn't have to be. There are simple steps that can allay controversy/resentment/etc that AV just simply refuses to take. I refuse to believe it's because he's not savvy, so I feel it has to be because he is stubborn.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#98 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Good stats, except Gold Medals have nothing to do with the NHL, and you have All star appearances twice under Roy, and with different numbers. :frantic: I also think All Star Appearances are about as important as buying lunch for your teammates since they are completely arbitrary and don't reflect anything. I mean the entire Montreal first line made the All Star team a couple years back and they sucked. I do agree though that you the HHOF is looking at some great acheivements besides just a good stat pack.

On topic I had the opportunity to listen to the interview. He's not so much pissed as just annoyed with the same questions. It is really sad that the media can still be successful by repeating idiotic situations such as this. Even more sad is the fact that us the people obviously eat it right up.

It's called HOCKEY Hall of Fame, not NHL Hall of Fame, so yes the gold medal have something to do, NHL All-Star teams count has well, it's just about a few years fans can vote for a starting lineup, so it still matter.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#99 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Man, what is with this city and loving the backup? Its ridiculous how often that is the case. Everyone wants Schneider to be the starter, so he finally gets it. Not even 10 games in and everyone loves our backup goalie again. The same guy that everyone wanted Schneider to replace. This isn't new either. This goes back to before Cloutier and Auld. If your a backup in this city, chances are you'll be liked.

#100 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

This is what i've been wondering since he signed it, if they think he's the new #1 and supposed future of our goaltending then why only a 3 year deal? why not 5 or 6+?

Almost seems like they aren't 100% ready to fully commit to him yet and want to see how the next couple years go, just like Montreal with Subban and only signing him for 2 years

That seems like it has to do with not making the same mistake he made with Lou. A nice, safe, reasonable number to start out with. Not too hot, not too cold - just right. It's easy to want to lock him up for a long time, but I think the lesson from signing Lou to 12 years might be a little fresh.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#101 DING

DING

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Guys, Schneids is still being as calm and professional as ever. You only hear anger if you're looking for it, and there is none.

Even when asked about how rude AV is for only telling the starter who the starter is, he doesn't bite.

The ones that think there's anger are just as bad as the reporters pulling for it.

Frankly, I'm amazed he's not upset. The guy's attitude is like 1-percentile. Impenetrable. Ridiculously mature.

Edited by DING, 01 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#102 supersocco

supersocco

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Media just trying to justify their jobs and make a story.

#103 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Lou didn't play any better in the LA game then Cory did in the SJ game and Lou didn't win the LA game to top it off so the avalanche game should have been Cory's. it's hard not to look good playing vs. Colorado so it was more or less set up that the golie that played the avalanche would play Chicago.

I think Lou should get the start vs. Chicago because he just played a good game but Cory would have played well vs. the avalanche as well.
I still think this is just showcasing Lou and in time we will see but if its not then AV is making a mess of things and pissing off Cory.

Lets think about why Lou is being traded.... Playoff flops.... We all know Lou plays well in the regular season. If its not showcasing AV is making a huge mistake pissing off Cory. Cory has a right to be pissed as well he signed with the Canucks when he didn't have to because Lou had asked for a trade and MG said he would trade him.

So because he signed a contract with the nucks, he has a right to pissed the company he works for wants to try different things? I thought signing a contract means he gets paid by the nucks and needs to do what the company wants him to do just like Lu did.

The contract does not entitle him to be the starter, just like it does not entitle Lu to be the starter. For crying out loud people, this is a business first (didn't people learn this during the LOCK OUTS in the past?) and spectator sport second or third.

Edited by VMR, 01 February 2013 - 03:25 PM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#104 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

If he's pissed about Lu playing, that's one thing.

If he's pissed about the media and all the stupid questions they ask, each and every day? That's another.

#105 Canucksftw0205

Canucksftw0205

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Both goalies are great, although I guess I do have a bit of a preference for Schneider. I feel a bit bad for Schneider and just hope this won't affect his confidence/performance. To me, he's our #1, but it makes sense to go with Luongo for now. It's a shortened season, so we definitely don't have as much leeway in terms of losses. Loungo's on a hot streak right now and we're facing a tough oppononent tonight, so it's logical to me to put Luongo in net against the Blackhawks.
Respect your Edler! Posted Image

#106 Wolfey

Wolfey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Luongo remains patient and quite for over a season now and Schneider gets upset publically after being benched for a few games. He's not entitled to the job. No goaltender is. If someone is out playing you then you should've played better. Tough and he'll have to deal with it.
Posted Image

#107 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I doubt Cory feels entitled to anything, dont you guys know who youre talking about?
Cory busted his rump in a back up position for a really long time. Hes always been all smiles. A respectable person and a supportive team mate.

HIM AND LU ARE FRIENDS and have both openly admitted it. I dont understand why everyone thinks hes whining about anything except maybe stupid interview questions.

On that note, im not sure why he accepted the interview. He should have known that it was all that they wanted to talk about.These goalies could really help themselves by just dodging the press for a while. How hard can it be?

I wish both goalies luck and will bet they put Cory In once Lu loses.

Unless we get a backup goalie back, we will need to keep Lu until lack feels better anyway, so lets do what we need to do to get points in this shortened season.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 01 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#108 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Guys, Schneids is still being as calm and professional as ever. You only hear anger if you're looking for it, and there is none.

Even when asked about how rude AV is for only telling the starter who the starter is, he doesn't bite.

The ones that think there's anger are just as bad as the reporters pulling for it.

Frankly, I'm amazed he's not upset. The guy's attitude is like 1-percentile. Impenetrable. Ridiculously mature.

He is upset. If you have any training in HR you would see by his body language and how he said what he said that he's P'd. He is a good soldier and saying the right things but he is not okay with the situation.

I agree he is incredibly mature and relatively calm, all things considered, but this is not what he signed on for and is not tenable in the long run.

None of us know what is going on in the dressing room but Linden - who has been in that room - was clear that it is a distraction for the other players and needs to be resolved. AV can't have his cake and eat it too. One of these guys has to go. Cory sees that and is likely regretting he didin't test RFA last summer.

#109 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Schnieder started 6 in a row last season, they were just riding the hot hands

Posted Image

#110 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,653 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I don't get it

Because we lacked good goal tending in the 80s, we should be happy with our joke of a situation right now?

You don't view our goalie situation as a problem, especially with how (in)consistently the team in FRONT of the goalie is playing?

The situation isn't really the joke. The way the fans and media here are viewing it is.

As long as the goaltending performs well, and it will, then there is no problem with the goaltending.

Jeez, Luongo finally starts hot and people still find all sorts of irrelevant crap to whine about. Anyway, i don't blame the media for making something out of nothing. Easy stories are easy.
Posted Image

#111 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Schnieder started 6 in a row last season, they were just riding the hot hands

Wasn't that due to Lu's injury?

Cory isn't injured nor has he played bad in his last 3 games.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 01 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#112 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

good hopefully they trade schnieds.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#113 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

What happens if he does get blown out tonight. I hope we don't, but say we loose 5-1. Not only will people be calling for the head of luongo but will his trade value weaken.

oddly enough, Lu getting blown out by Chicago would help his trade value by proving his consistency.

#114 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I doubt Cory feels entitled to anything, dont you guys know who youre talking about?
Cory busted his rump in a back up position for a really long time. Hes always been all smiles. A respectable person and a supportive team mate.

HIM AND LU ARE FRIENDS and have both openly admitted it. I dont understand why everyone thinks hes whining about anything except maybe stupid interview questions.

On that note, im not sure why he accepted the interview. He should have known that it was all that they wanted to talk about.These goalies could really help themselves by just dodging the press for a while. How hard can it be?

I wish both goalies luck and will bet they put Cory In once Lu loses.

Unless we get a backup goalie back, we will need to keep Lu until lack feels better anyway, so lets do what we need to do to get points in this shortened season.

You said I'm sure Cory will start when Lou loses, well he lost to LA and was given the gimme game vs. Colorado after. That set up this mess because we all know he would beat Colorado and how do you not give him the start after playing well. AV has to be showcasing Lou or he's just trying to mess with the team.

#115 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

So because he signed a contract with the nucks, he has a right to pissed the company he works for wants to try different things? I thought signing a contract means he gets paid by the nucks and needs to do what the company wants him to do just like Lu did.

The contract does not entitle him to be the starter, just like it does not entitle Lu to be the starter. For crying out loud people, this is a business first (didn't people learn this during the LOCK OUTS in the past?) and spectator sport second or third.

If your going to hilight things I said give me the respect to highlight the compleat sentence.

#116 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

In the same interview Schneids also said he was well aware that this scenario could play out like this so I don't for one second believe that Gillis did not have the same conversation with both Lui and Schneids about the possibility of this happening.

Schneids is just pissed off at himself for not taking advantage of the situation right now. He knows he's the goalie going forward but he's just disappointed and showing his competitive nature while still being the good teammate.

Meanwhile, Lui is loving this from the standpoint that he knows he's playing with house money so no pressure on him...he's just having fun. I remember his prophetic comments during the one week training camp where he made the analogy to his Olympic gold medal performance and how he'd come into that situation as the back-up and that we all know how that ended up. I figured right then and there that Lui was going to be focussed to not give up his starting position that easily.

That's what I was really excited about at the beginning of the season. I suspected that Luongo would take over and hopefully take us to the Cup Finals again.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#117 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Don't get why he feels so entitled, he's a goalie with 50 games under his belt compared to a future hall of famer

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:

#118 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Don't know why he's getting pissed about it publicly - just causes a rift on the team.

Also, he's getting paid the same amount whether he plays or not.
It's still the beginning of the season - does he want to end up like COHO?

What happened to "doing whatever's best for the team"...oh wait...I think Luongo said that....

:picard:

#119 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Media is a bunch of crap starters

#120 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Anger is good. It will lead to a fierce competition between the 2 resulting in both pitching endless shutouts.

Or it could lead to both goalies wanting out of Vancouver, and Joe Cannata backing up Eddie Lack................
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.