172 replies to this topic

#151 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Ok just hypothetically lets say Cory gets next start on Monday and lets in 4 easy ones. Does AV have a responsibility to Cory to play him again until he improves or does he have a responsibility to the team to give them the best chance they have at winning. Ultimately that is what his decision is going to be based on both long and short term, otherwise this would be a farm team for another NHL team. The media is driving the drama that surrounds this goal tending situation. My opinion has always been play the hot hand, and not to pick individual pride over team

#152 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Ok just hypothetically lets say Cory gets next start on Monday and lets in 4 easy ones. Does AV have a responsibility to Cory to play him again until he improves or does he have a responsibility to the team to give them the best chance they have at winning. Ultimately that is what his decision is going to be based on both long and short term, otherwise this would be a farm team for another NHL team. The media is driving the drama that surrounds this goal tending situation. My opinion has always been play the hot hand, and not to pick individual pride over team

I think he has the responsibility to play the goalie that has the best chance of winning a cup, I'm sick of AV's short sighted win the next game mind set. He needs to have a long term plan and stop flipping his dam coins. The team wants to part ways with Lou because of his PLAYOFF play and that should be more important then winning the next game.

Cory needs to take on the workload when Lou is on the bench, that way we can see if he can do it. Not playing him is only shooting our selfs in the foot as there are two possibilities

One: we trade Lou without taking the time to let Cory play as the #1 and as some have said he can't play as well as the #1. = we made a mistake by not playing Cory more.

Two: we trade Cory because Lou is playing well and then we see Lou post his 5th straight 8.78 save percentage in the playoffs.

We need to play Cory now it's the time to test him out, I could care less who gives us the best chance to win the next game.

#153 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Anger is good. It will lead to a fierce competition between the 2 resulting in both pitching endless shutouts.

Anger leads to the Darkside.
Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to Suffering

Posted Image

#154 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think he has the responsibility to play the goalie that has the best chance of winning a cup, I'm sick of AV's short sighted win the next game mind set. He needs to have a long term plan and stop flipping his dam coins. The team wants to part ways with Lou because of his PLAYOFF play and that should be more important then winning the next game.

Cory needs to take on the workload when Lou is on the bench, that way we can see if he can do it. Not playing him is only shooting our selfs in the foot as there are two possibilities

One: we trade Lou without taking the time to let Cory play as the #1 and as some have said he can't play as well as the #1. = we made a mistake by not playing Cory more.

Two: we trade Cory because Lou is playing well and then we see Lou post his 5th straight 8.78 save percentage in the playoffs.

We need to play Cory now it's the time to test him out, I could care less who gives us the best chance to win the next game.

So ok I get it you are of the belief that it is a bad thing to have two good goalies on the team. And you think that Cory should be given the chance to develop as the number 1 goalie in a shortened season, and that AV's attitude of winning the next game is merely a short sighted goal with no consideration of the over all big playoff picture. So points and position at this point in the season means nothing according to your could care less about who gives us the best chance to win attitude. I am quite happy to see the team go on a 3 or 4 game winning streak and build up some points before AV decides to "give someone a chance" or "test him out". If Schneider's ego is that sensitive then I am sure he will be run out of town as well.

#155 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

At about 3:25 in the interview Gillis talks about who he believes should be the number 1 after signing Cory, makes sense to what's going on right now.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#156 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

You whiners cant seriously believe that what AV and MG are doing here is NOT in the best interest of the team. They have obviously spoken about it and decided to ride the hot hand. Lui gets showcased before he is dealt and we get points. If Schneider was on this run he would be in there.

These are the guys who won us back to back presidents trophies. This is not some wierd personal thing with Cory or Roberto. Just enjoy the points and when the dust settles you can chase CS out of town in favour of Lack and so on...
I Love Lamp...

#157 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

You are wrong. Roberto is better and he should be the starter. Cory should have been traded at the dead line last year. Luongo is better it's really simple.

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#158 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Anyway we all know Lou is going to get killed tonight against Chicago.

Schneider will play the next three.

whoops

guess you missed the memo regarding Luongo's lifetime performance stats vs Chicago.

Edited by oldnews, 02 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#159 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Not sure how people do not know or forget about this... Sorted by all time wins, I will bold the wins, sorry for sloppy charts.

Player Cur. Team 1st NHL Season Last NHL Season GP W L T OT SA GA GAA Saves Sv% SO TOI
1 Martin Brodeur NJD 1991-1992 2012-2013 1,196 659 371 105 60 30,053 2,615 2.23 27,438 .913 120 70,339:09 2 Patrick Roy 1984-1985 2002-2003 1,029 551 315 131 29 28,349 2,546 2.54 25,803 .910 66 60,225:33

3 Ed Belfour 1988-1989 2006-2007 963 484 320 111 44 24,750 2,317 2.50 22,433 .906 76 55,695:55
7 Tony Esposito 1968-1969 1983-1984 886 423 306 151 1,825 2,563 1,602 76 52,585:00
11 Dominik Hasek 1990-1991 2007-2008 735 389 223 82 32 20,220 1,572 2.20 18,648 .922 81 42,836:22
17 Roberto Luongo VAN 1999-2000 2012-2013 731 340 283 33 70 21,771 1,755 2.51 20,016 .919 61 41,913:01

It is possible for Luongo to be #3 all time for wins. You are telling me he is not worth mentioning for hall of fame? If Luo retires or just sucks from here on out then no he is not going to make it in. However, if he puts up even 4 years of 40 wins he is going to be mentioned for hall of fame. If he gets some good hardware in those years, he is in for sure.

sounds like cap dump, table scraps material to me...

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cory-Schneider-Jan-31.mp3

Schneider sounds extremely reasonable there - and I find it entirely appropriate that there is a slight tone of 'hey you're a bunch of annoying bottom feeders' in his voice. I mean really, should he be subject to these automatons? If I were the Canucks I'd simply lock the media out. Cory feel free to dismiss idiocy relative to the thoughtlessness they express. "That's not very nice - do you have to go on twitter to find out if you're starting"... Pathetic attempts to bait him into talking s#!t about his coach.
I realize he is extremely composed and respectful, but the odd "next", or "I've answered that tedious question already" wouldn't hurt.
He's not feeling sorry for himself, nor angry with his team nor should he. He's a professional athlete making millions of dollars who starts when he's the best goaltender at the time. It's called a meritocracy and AV always operates this way - players earn their minutes on an ongoing basis. No controversy, nothing to whine about. Top notch responses to a bunch of ingrates. It's not up to AV and Gillis to patronize him or take a weak deal in order to make Schneider happier in the short term. These are just pathetic sidetracks.

Edited by oldnews, 02 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#160 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

The absolute best case scenario for the team is that both of these goaltenders play well, particularly Luongo. That actually makes Gillis' job much easier, and AV's more difficult in a very good way. Things couldn't be playing out any better, and Schneider's time will come soon enough - he's not simple enough to think that Luongo is a disposable asset.

#161 Coffin

Coffin

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Anger is good. It will lead to a fierce competition between the 2 resulting in both pitching endless shutouts.

Wrong! Anger leads to hate! Hate leads to suffering!

#162 Coffin

Coffin

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

DAMN! I see I was already beaten to that joke. I see how it is Harbinger.

#163 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

The media is a circus

Posted Image

#164 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Don't get why he feels so entitled, he's a goalie with 50 games under his belt compared to a future hall of famer

hahaha futrure Hall O Famer
right after Ohlund , Edler, Naslund, and all the other Canuck Cup winners

#165 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

So ok I get it you are of the belief that it is a bad thing to have two good goalies on the team. And you think that Cory should be given the chance to develop as the number 1 goalie in a shortened season, and that AV's attitude of winning the next game is merely a short sighted goal with no consideration of the over all big playoff picture. So points and position at this point in the season means nothing according to your could care less about who gives us the best chance to win attitude. I am quite happy to see the team go on a 3 or 4 game winning streak and build up some points before AV decides to "give someone a chance" or "test him out". If Schneider's ego is that sensitive then I am sure he will be run out of town as well.

Hey Grump, what does the "Shortened season" have to do with anything?
The Canucks are in a weak division, points & position mean next to nothing.
Where was the Stanley Cup winner placed last year? Oh ya 8th. Your point?
You are correct though, if Schnieder's ego is that sensitive he will get eaten alive in the VancouverGoalie Graveyard,
But we will maybe never know if Schnieder has or if Luongo has grown the fortitude needed to win in the playoffs.
Until the playoffs start, and end

#166 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Anyway we all know Lou is going to get killed tonight against Chicago.

Schneider will play the next three.

You were saying?

The stupidity and lack of faith in our players that this city's fans exhibit is incredible.

#167 Deeds

Deeds

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

After listening to the interview it seems to me he might be pissed at the same question asked over and over in 20 different ways more than being pissed off that he has not gotten the starts.

#168 dubldigit

dubldigit

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Flawed on so many levels. You don't have that win the next game mentality, you don't make the playoffs. Win the next game with whoever is playing the best, make the playoffs, assess situation go from there....

I could not imagine what would happen to the Canucks if AV were to coach like some suggest on here... This team would be down the dumper faster than Armstongs career achievements...

#169 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Flawed on so many levels. You don't have that win the next game mentality, you don't make the playoffs. Win the next game with whoever is playing the best, make the playoffs, assess situation go from there....

I could not imagine what would happen to the Canucks if AV were to coach like some suggest on here... This team would be down the dumper faster than Armstongs career achievements...

Because the approach you are suggesting has worked for us so far?

I'm not saying we shouldn't win the next game but a ballance has to be applied. I'm saying a longer view with focus on the playoffs and not the PT has to be applied.

Lou is not the goalie we want playing for us in the playoffs so Cory should be assessed with a workload now.

Edited by Nino, 02 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#170 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

At about 3:25 in the interview Gillis talks about who he believes should be the number 1 after signing Cory, makes sense to what's going on right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap26iJ0H-tk

"everyone's coming to camp competing for their jobs" so basically he's saying the #1 position was up for grabs, and Luongo just grabbed it back

#171 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Play or not, he is getting paid. Why mad? Even if he does not play a single game for the next 3 years, he will still get pay...MAD?

#172 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Anger leads to the Darkside.
Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to Suffering

Or "gooooooood, your anger has made you powerful"

#173 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Luongo a future hall of famer? Unless he has a few more years where he put up unreal numbers and earns some hardware not likely.

I wouldnt go as far as saying luongo has been playing to good. Luongo has better stats this year but has also played teams that have been struggling to score, Luongo hasn't stood on his head, he hasn't stole us a game, he's just play ok. Cory besided the first game has done exactly the same. hasn't stood on his head, he hasn't stole us a game, he's just play ok. The only reason luongo is getting the start is simply because of his SO. just like when cory played back to back games after ANH. If canucks would have won 4-2 or even lost 1-0 schneider would have been in net

OUR team is struggling to score. And would you say Chicago is struggling to score? And you're a blind Lu hater, so don't call other people blind homers. In every game Luongo has played, he was one of the biggest factors that we were even close to winning, if not the only reason. And I disagree, Schneider temporarily lost his job after letting in 4 or more goals in half of his starts. Luongo hasn't even had a single game where he allowed more than 2.

I think it's time for you to face it: Luongo is one of the very few reasons that we're above .500 right now. Schneider is one of the many reasons that we are not on top of the division at this point.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 02 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.