13 replies to this topic

#1 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Perhaps a deadline day deal if CGY is out (likely).

So here's the idea:

To Vancouver:
Cory Sarich @ 1.75

To Calgary:
Andrew Alberts
Cond. 3rd round pick 2013 -> Turns into a 2nd if Van makes it to the SCF
5th round pick 2014
250,000 of Sarich's cap hit per year

Why?

Vancouver needs depth on the right side more badly than the left. With Alberts gone they still have depth guys in Barker and Vandermeer who can fill the void.

GMMG likes guys who aren't simply rentals, Cory has 1 more year on his contract.

For CGY, if they are out of the playoffs this move helps for a predicted rebuild-on-the-fly. A potential 2nd in a deep draft.

Sarich had 144 hits last year, is 6'4 & 207 pounds. Has experience playing lots of minutes. Has 57 playoff games under his belt, incl. a cup.

If CGY chooses to have a small fire sale, 250,000 won't effect their cap structure too much. Sarich at 1.75 is a good deal for the Canucks.

Sarich isn't necessarily worth a 2nd, hence the 'conditional', if the Canucks make it to the SCF then Sarich is worth a 2nd.

Sarich is +11 over the last three years combined playing for CGY (incl. this year).

He'll also fight when needed..

Thoughts?

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 02 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#2 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Sounds fair to me .. Sarich is a warrior when need be .. I would do it ASAP .. give him time to gel with Ballard .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Not sure about the details.

I would love Sarich on the team though. Wanted him at at the deadline last year.

Like TL7 he would look great with Ballard.
I also think he would look good with Edler too though. He would be the solid presence Alex needs.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Not sure about the details.

I would love Sarich on the team though. Wanted him at at the deadline last year.

Like TL7 he would look great with Ballard.
I also think he would look good with Edler too though. He would be the solid presence Alex needs.

Sounds fair to me .. Sarich is a warrior when need be .. I would do it ASAP .. give him time to gel with Ballard .. B)

Well, exactly. Kassian & Burrows can interchange with the Sedins depending on the level of messing around, same with Sarich, Garrison, Tanev with Edler.. He brings an asset the Canucks supposedly have with Alberts, but he has more experience in high pressure situations and plays the right side. IMO, he's also a better hitter. Throws a better hit. Yep.

#5 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

want me to book u for neurologist? :emot-parrot: cuz trade you gave sucks and sucks

#6 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

want me to book u for neurologist? :emot-parrot: cuz trade you gave sucks and sucks

Geez .. did you learn to speak English from a hooker? ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 01 February 2013 - 12:18 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#7 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure.. Could you explain to me why it sucks & sucks? Maybe afterward I will decide if I need help or not.

#8 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

This is so great, actually. It's not some retarded ass deal, and it's realistic.

Any other right side defensemen in mind?
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#9 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Good trade, makes sense for both teams. Done deal.

#10 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

So here's the idea:

To Vancouver:
Cory Sarich @ 1.75

To Calgary:
Andrew Alberts
Cond. 3rd round pick 2013 -> Turns into a 2nd if Van makes it to the SCF
5th round pick 2014
250,000 of Sarich's cap hit per year

Realistically, Calgary could probably get a better package for Sarich if they decide to go into sell-mode. I'm sure they'd rather have a single 2nd rounder, which they could probably get.

#11 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

This is so great, actually. It's not some retarded ass deal, and it's realistic.

Any other right side defensemen in mind?

Off the top of my head, here's some that COULD be available IMO - and that won't cost over a nut.

R. Martinek - NYI, hasn't played yet this year, 36. 6'0, 206 pounds. Some offensive talent. Reliable when playing, but oft. inj. Tiny cap hit.

Anton Babchuk - IR right now. Another CGY player and UFA at the end of the year. Big shot. 6'5, 200 pounds. Former 1st round pick.

Ian White - 5'10, 190 pounds. UFA at the end of the year. Likely be re-signed by DET unless they're really out of it. Solid playoffs in the past.

Joe Corvo - JR doesn't like to lose guys for nothing, sometimes even if there is a playoff berth potential. Likely Corvo will stay a Cane.. but his contract IS ending this year. 50 playoff games under his belt.

There's probably a lot more, but those are some I can think of.. I think Sarich is the best fit for what the Canucks need out of those guys, though.

#12 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Realistically, Calgary could probably get a better package for Sarich if they decide to go into sell-mode. I'm sure they'd rather have a single 2nd rounder, which they could probably get.

Fair enough. That isn't too far off from what I'm proposing.

A Cond. 2nd + a 5th for Sarich + 250,000.

Alberts is just a cap dump.

But anyway, I'm not going to nitpick. Something in that value range would be a good trade for both teams IMO, do you agree?

#13 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sarich sucks in the regular season, but always a beast in the playoffs. Only downside for Cgy is they haven't made the post season.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#14 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Sarich sucks in the regular season, but always a beast in the playoffs. Only downside for Cgy is they haven't made the post season.

Haha, I don't know if I agree with that statement, but if it rings true, then in theory, Sarich is a perfect deadline day pick up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.