83 replies to this topic

#1 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's rare that the Sedins are both without a point in a game. Rare still that it happens consecutively. Daniel and Henrik have both gone three straight games without a point now. If it happens again tonight, it will mark just the fourth time since 2005 that neither Sedin has recorded a point for four straight.

Crazy. Has to be unprecedented among contemporary duos (ie. Thornton-Marleau, Spezza-Alfredsson, Perry-Getzlaf) to be that consistent for that long.

Here are the previous three instances:

*March 1–10, 2012 (STL, BUF, DAL, WPG, MTL; Canucks record: 2-3)

*March 10–15, 2008 (LAK, ANA, PHX, DAL; Canucks record: 2-2)

*April 13–21, 2007 (Playoffs, games 2–6 vs. DAL; Canucks record: 2-3)

Make of that what you will, but as far as I'm concerned, it's phenomenal. Here's to snapping the streak and continuing the usual pace tonight!

Edited by debluvscanucks, 01 February 2013 - 04:25 PM.
Please review the rule about directing traffic to other sites...

#2 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

How do you find those kind of stats like those other 3 instances?
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#3 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

They played pretty great against the Hawks last year. I don't predict a lot of points for them tonight, but I imagine they'll snap the streak

#4 ChocolateMooCow

ChocolateMooCow

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Interesting to note that it always seems to happen at the tail end of the season or playoffs.

This time it's happening near the beginning. Weird.

#5 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

So much pressure on the sedins.

#6 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

One thing that really bugs me about the Sedins is their dumping the puck strategy and lack of shooting. I know they can shoot but I mean, you will not be in NHL if you can't shoot. But it is very frustrating to watch the Sedins standing at a great shooting oppurtunity but decides to pass the puck instead and lose the chance to score. At least go for a rebound.
Posted Image

#7 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Problem is zack is not keeping the play alive, watch him tonight he can't win the puck battle that the twins need for there type of game. Now zack looks good with the twins but the twins don't look good with zack.

#8 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Problem is zack is not keeping the play alive, watch him tonight he can't win the puck battle that the twins need for there type of game. Now zack looks good with the twins but the twins don't look good with zack.

You must be joking. He cycles as well, if not better than Burrows did. He's actually stronger along the boards and can fend off his opponents. We're not noticing them because Zack's been doing most of the scoring... courtesy of their passing. Watch for one or both of them to score tonight. Calling it.

#9 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have to disagree. Zack is creating the space and time the twins need to do their thing. THey just have not been sharp and have turned the puck over frequently.

The idea of having a power forward is to have a guy that will stand in front of the net and draw defenders to him creating space. He is there to screen and to make deflections and knock in rebounds. The Sedin's system of cycle and space has been too inneffective in the tight checking of the playoffs. They need to adjust to a hybrid that allows them to move the puck like they can but also results in more goals form deflections and rebounds.

I noticed Hank shooting more the last game. I think they know what the changes are that are needed but are struggling right now to adjust. If they can get it figured out, they will be far more lethal than in the past.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 01 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#10 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Are you sure it wasn't for longer last year? Idk why but I'm thinking it was 8 games they went without a point last year during feb/march.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#11 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I read this as Sedins look to snap rare steak. Now I'm hungry.
Posted Image

#12 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

You must be joking. He cycles as well, if not better than Burrows did. He's actually stronger along the boards and can fend off his opponents. We're not noticing them because Zack's been doing most of the scoring... courtesy of their passing. Watch for one or both of them to score tonight. Calling it.

Watch the game tonight and pay attention to his play along the boards, not saying its not going to get better but it's not good. He is good at finding the open spaces.

#13 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

They'll have about 4 points combined tonight

Posted Image

#14 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

They've been well below a point-per-game this season and it's a bit concerning. As long as their cycles are producing pressure I'm not too worried, but maybe they have to throw some wrinkles in their game now and change it up a bit - try and score more off rushes.

Our entire offence has struggled so far this season and we won't go far in the playoffs in the twins aren't scoring at at least a 60 point pace, with Kesler at a 50 point pace.
Posted Image

#15 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

How do you find those kind of stats like those other 3 instances?

NHL.com has game logs for each player for each season since 2000-01. Here's Daniel's for this season: http://www.nhl.com/i...122013&view=log

So combine that with a preference to look up stats for an hour instead of working on an essay that's due tomorrow... that's how I found em lol.

#16 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Like many vets who didn't play professionally during the lockout, the Sedins are out of shape. A short training camp and no pre-season means about 3 weeks of important conditioning was missed. Give them time, they'll pick it up.

EDIT: and they're not the only Canucks who're still not in top shape. I expect Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa Higgins, Burrows and Lapierre to all pick it up in the coming weeks. It's just the Sedins are most easily noticed when they're not playing their best. If they're not on the scoresheet, it means they're not playing well.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 01 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#17 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

well, mid-January to the end of the year last year they were kind of invisible... compared to their quote unquote normal selves.

I would love to see them dominate again, even if just becoming point a game players again - but that is 1.5 years ago now...

I think they are focused on the playoffs now? I don't know, are they wearing down? I think it will just take them 10 games or so to get it together, they should still be point a game players for a few years to come...

#18 hockeyaddict123

hockeyaddict123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hank just needs to shoot the puck a little more, he's shown in the past he can shoot the puck when dank was injured.

#19 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,763 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hank has always needed to shoot more. I think the real problem is that with no real second line there is no 1-2 punch so the Sedins are focused on all game and rubbed out.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#20 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Points for Danny hopefully. Help my pool!

#21 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

lolwat

Is this some kind of bad joke?

RIP LB RR PD

#22 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

There's nothing wrong with the sedins bread and butter (cycling, perimeter, puck possession, etc). The issue is that they don't throw in a consistent skating of the puck to the middle/slot and sniping it in, or setting up plays that involve being at the front of the net. This makes them very predictable, even though they probably have the most fake-ing moves when they cycle the puck.

If they were to add a few more obvious tools, they will become twice as powerful in their bread and butter because no one could predict what the Sedins will do next, even though everyone knows what they're best at.

#23 tigerwilliams for pm

tigerwilliams for pm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

They are thinking to much & being kept to the outside perimeter.

Edited by tigerwilliams for pm, 01 February 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#24 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Sedins performance tonight have been, to say the least, terrible. Here we have a great goalie, great defense but we have 2 forwards who can't produce anything, missing passes, missing shooting oppurtunities. Last season we had major issues with our offense. Stanley Cup finals with Boston we scored a total of 7 goals.

When playing with top teams like Blackhawks, Sharks, Kings, Sedins are pretty much useless as all these teams know how to deal with them. If we want another shot at the playoffs this season, we need to fix our forwards, specifically the Sedins. Shape up, split them up or both gets traded for at least another "Kesler". I am sick of watching their play. They have become way too predictable.

Edited by VancityBeast, 02 February 2013 - 12:00 AM.

Posted Image

#25 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Sedins performance tonight have been, to say the least, terrible. Here we have a great goalie, great defense but we have 2 forwards who can't produce anything, missing passes, missing shooting oppurtunities. Last season we had major issues with our offense. Stanley Cup finals with Boston we scored a total of 7 goals.

When playing with top teams like Blackhawks, Sharks, Kings, Sedins are pretty much useless as all these team know how to deal with them. If we want another shot at the playoffs this season, we need to fix our forwards, specifically the Sedins. Shape up and both gets traded for at least another "Kesler". I am sick of watching their play.

They played well tonight, coming off one of the longest layoffs in their respective careers...

#26 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Working too hard putting together their desk they bought from ikea?
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#27 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

POPULAR

I thought they looked good tonight

Posted Image

#28 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

teams will focus on the sedins until kesler and booth come back and we have a 2nd line again

#29 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

POPULAR

What about Higgins? He has been invisible out there. I have yet to notice him offensively all year.

Edit: I think Schroeder should move up to the 2nd line.

Daniel-Henrik-Kassian
Burrows-Schroeder-Raymond
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Edited by C00KIES, 01 February 2013 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#30 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

POPULAR

henrik had 3 hits , chicago in total had 6

i thought both looked good , didnt henrik knock down keith ? lol
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.