The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins look to snap rare streak

bure's triple deke

It's rare that the Sedins are both without a point in a game. Rare still that it happens consecutively. Daniel and Henrik have both gone three straight games without a point now. If it happens again tonight, it will mark just the fourth time since 2005 that neither Sedin has recorded a point for four straight.

Crazy. Has to be unprecedented among contemporary duos (ie. Thornton-Marleau, Spezza-Alfredsson, Perry-Getzlaf) to be that consistent for that long.

Here are the previous three instances:

*March 1–10, 2012 (STL, BUF, DAL, WPG, MTL; Canucks record: 2-3)

*March 10–15, 2008 (LAK, ANA, PHX, DAL; Canucks record: 2-2)

*April 13–21, 2007 (Playoffs, games 2–6 vs. DAL; Canucks record: 2-3)

Make of that what you will, but as far as I'm concerned, it's phenomenal. Here's to snapping the streak and continuing the usual pace tonight!

One thing that really bugs me about the Sedins is their dumping the puck strategy and lack of shooting. I know they can shoot but I mean, you will not be in NHL if you can't shoot. But it is very frustrating to watch the Sedins standing at a great shooting oppurtunity but decides to pass the puck instead and lose the chance to score. At least go for a rebound.

You must be joking. He cycles as well, if not better than Burrows did. He's actually stronger along the boards and can fend off his opponents. We're not noticing them because Zack's been doing most of the scoring... courtesy of their passing. Watch for one or both of them to score tonight. Calling it.

They've been well below a point-per-game this season and it's a bit concerning. As long as their cycles are producing pressure I'm not too worried, but maybe they have to throw some wrinkles in their game now and change it up a bit - try and score more off rushes.

Our entire offence has struggled so far this season and we won't go far in the playoffs in the twins aren't scoring at at least a 60 point pace, with Kesler at a 50 point pace.

Like many vets who didn't play professionally during the lockout, the Sedins are out of shape. A short training camp and no pre-season means about 3 weeks of important conditioning was missed. Give them time, they'll pick it up.

EDIT: and they're not the only Canucks who're still not in top shape. I expect Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa Higgins, Burrows and Lapierre to all pick it up in the coming weeks. It's just the Sedins are most easily noticed when they're not playing their best. If they're not on the scoresheet, it means they're not playing well.

well, mid-January to the end of the year last year they were kind of invisible... compared to their quote unquote normal selves.

I would love to see them dominate again, even if just becoming point a game players again - but that is 1.5 years ago now...

I think they are focused on the playoffs now? I don't know, are they wearing down? I think it will just take them 10 games or so to get it together, they should still be point a game players for a few years to come...

Archived