The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis is a "man of his word"

Burlinbert

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who is the best GM the Canucks have ever had??

-add your answer to the poll

-add your reasons why below

Gillis is a man of his word. The best GM Vancouver has ever had. I remember listening to his first interviews, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=235503

"I don't think this team is close at this particular point," he said. "I think there is a good foundation here.

-has kept the foundation and core together, not an easy task in a salary cap world. Sedins, Kesler, Bieska, Edler, Burrows, Hansen, Schneider are all canuck prospects that might just retire as canucks

"I'm hoping to bring a different perspective in terms of player relations," he said.

-one of the best locker-room/player facilities in all of North America

-annual team family road trips, team family private box, team Chefs and nutritionalist

"I'm hoping to bring different ideas to the draft table and to player development

-spent more money on scouting then any other team in the NHL

-found players like Tanev, Higgins and Lapierre

"I don't plan on targeting ex-clients," said Gillis. "I plan on targeting the best players available."

Went after Backes, Doan, Webber, Schultz, almost had them, atleast hes shown that he tried hard to get them, he's made the Canucks a world class organizational that players are interested and willing to come too, i.e. Sundin, Demitra,

"At the end of the day I am going to be evaluated on results," he said. "I feel acute pressure already to try and get this team to a point where it is competing for the Stanley Cup."

"If these get addressed well, this team won't be far off. A couple of very good decisions, or a couple of really bold decisions, might put this team in a position to win almost immediately."

- he has lived up to his word the Canucks are Stanley Cup favorites every year since Gillis came around

Dont get me wrong, Gillis hasn't been perfect. Hes made 2 detrimental mistakes, looking back in retrospect, the Ballard trade and releasing Willi Mitchell

I don't think MG has made any great moves. Burke got the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Nonis got us Luongo. These were big moves that changed this team for the better.

MG signed a few guys and re-signed. Going after and signing Hamhuis was nothing special because it was a no brainer and was the best d-man available at the time and had offers from many teams.

I don't think MG has made any great moves. Burke got the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Nonis got us Luongo. These were big moves that changed this team for the better.

MG signed a few guys and re-signed. Going after and signing Hamhuis was nothing special because it was a no brainer and was the best d-man available at the time and had offers from many teams.

Gillis got us Hamhuis, Erhoff, lappy, Manny, higgins. signed Torres

Without those guys we do not go to the cup. Erhoff had a special season, was phenomenal against Chicago and Nashville until his shoulder got wrecked. Lappy was the quintessential 3rd line center. Torres took out seabrook and dislocated Thornton's shoulder.

Gillis resigned the sedins to bargain basement contracts

Archived