The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Blackhawks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

GUYZ, TRADE SNYDER OKAY. U STUPIDS DON'T NO HOKEY.

First off, unfortunately, this team got progressively worse as the game went on. The PP.. I've stressed several times now: defensemen hugging the blue line is not a good thing. Move down, get involved in the play. Basic hockey. There twins had the puck in the corners, down behind the net and along the goal line and you could only see three Canucks on the screen.

Secondly, the Sedins NEED to step it up. They are 98th and something absurd like 130th in NHL scoring. NOT good enough, sorry. The decline of the twins? Perhaps.

Third, I've been a critic of Volpatti for being just a plug. But I wasn't aware he was leading the team in hits. Good for him. It would be nice if he could chip it in the net once in a while now.

Lastly, this team only has two regulation wins in 8 games. If games were not ended by a gimmick, the Canucks record could be ghastly right now.

GUYZ, TRADE SNYDER OKAY. U STUPIDS DON'T NO HOKEY.

First off, unfortunately, this team got progressively worse as the game went on. The PP.. I've stressed several times now: defensemen hugging the blue line is not a good thing. Move down, get involved in the play. Basic hockey. There twins had the puck in the corners, down behind the net and along the goal line and you could only see three Canucks on the screen.

Secondly, the Sedins NEED to step it up. They are 98th and something absurd like 130th in NHL scoring. NOT good enough, sorry. The decline of the twins? Perhaps.

Third, I've been a critic of Volpatti for being just a plug. But I wasn't aware he was leading the team in hits. Good for him. It would be nice if he could chip it in the net once in a while now.

Lastly, this team only has two regulation wins in 8 games. If games were not ended by a gimmick, the Canucks record could be ghastly right now.

Wasn't exactly a great game, but there were obviously positives. Not going to go into any great detail but the goaltending was obviously spectacular. Luongo played like the top 5 netminder that he is and won the game for the team. No question. Also, I think the defense was pretty solid. The Hawks are a high octane, talented team and maybe they weren't at their absolute best tonight but I still think the defense needs to be given credit for a job well done against the Blackhawks' top two lines.

Offense and the PP? Ugh... I'm worried. Officially worried. The Sedins look like they've lost a step. You can usually tell when they're just in a slump but this time around I get the feeling that the problem, in a nutshell, is that their game isn't working anymore. The league reads them better now and the problem is that they're pretty one-dimensional; they've really got no other tricks. When they don't have the lane to thread a pass through, they kind of just play catch with the puck and waste time.

This team has no offensive leaders. They're grinding out wins with goals from random sources the way teams like the Predators, Kings and Coyotes do. Kesler and Booth's return will be a boost for the team, surely, but it's hard to tell at this point how much of an impact they themselves will make upon their return and how their presence in the lineup will impact the rest of the team. Will they take pressure off the Sedins by drawing other teams' checking lines and defense pairings to them? Will Schroeder or Raymond get a chance with Kesler, thus creating the potential for more offense from either of them? There are some possibilities, but at the end of the day I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking ahead to the team's next crop of young talent at this point (Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, and whoever we draft this summer).

Good win, but this team doesn't look like a contender yet. It needs Kesler and Booth back and needs to improve in a lot of areas still.

Archived