The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No pressure = Better play

chrisbanks

I think there may have been some complacency on Lu's part -he really didn't see that he would be pushed out of the #1 spot, at least not in the near future.

I think Lu felt 'slighted' by the management last year, which motivated him to spend the off season working hard at improving his craft. He has obviously upgraded his play in several areas, including the numerous stick dropping and belly flopping incidents. He looks much more solid in the net and seems less likely to make his move before the play is made.

He's a very competitive guy and I don't find it surprising that he is playing better than we have seen him, in some time. Yes, he is playing for himself, but I think it is also important for him to 'redeem' himself as well. I wouldn't doubt that Lu would love to steal the #1 back, ala Tim Thomas.

MG must be thrilled, as this is making it all that more easier to hold out on trade offers. As the season gets older, some teams will become desperate for a #1 goalie. Regardless who the fans think should be traded, it is the Nucks best interest for both goalies to be performing at their best.

It's a win/win for Lu and Cory. By the end of the season, they will both be #1 goalies. Who knows which one will be Vans' #1?

We looked the best so far this season. But We should have ended it way before shoot out. It appeared that they ran out of gas mid way through the second. I guess they arn't in full game shape yet. Nucks will have to be able to sustain that energy for a full 60 mins in order to get to where they need to be. I have not seen defence poke the puck off the other team that many times in all the other games combined. If play all games with that passion and purpose we should be fine. Our next few games are all division rivals and I like to see us take the division lead by the end of it. Go Nux GO

Are we really under the impression that there is no pressure on Luongo?

You guys ever lose a promotion at work and have to fight to get it back? It's nerve racking. I think there is even more pressure on Luongo he's just handling it better. Schneider will follow suit because it looks like both goalies are going to have to fight to prove they deserve to start a game.

My ass it was a team win. Without Luongo, we would've lost. Stupid Canuck mentality that comes up when the team wins and the goalie gets no credit. Who was the first star of the game? Look it up and stop making BS. Stating BS isn't the same as stating facts.

Fact: 1 goal was scored on him so he only got beat once.

Lu played well and seems to be much more relaxed than in the past. Perhpas being the underdog has helped him re-focus and taken some pressure off or maybe it's added pressure. WHo knows.

AS for the team win...I very much agree it was. From the second period on, the team played a conservative trap system with 5 players back behind the red line. They took the speed out of the Chicago attack and eliminated the odd man rushes. The quality chances by Chicago were minimal and Lu was able to see the shots clearly.

Not much fun to watch our guys play like the ole New Jersey devils but it's a good suystem to make your goalie look good and to win games when you can't score.

Archived