The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pathetic Faceoffs

DownUndaCanuck

This deserves it's own thread - the Canucks are, believe it or not, but 2nd last in the NHL at 46.5%. This, from the team that used to absolutely dominate the league in faceoffs with 3 of the best in Malhotra, Kesler and Henrik.

It's no surprise that you win Cups with strength down the middle and depth at center, and the last few Cup winners have all been solid faceoff teams. Now we are no longer the solid skilled, puck possession team we used to be in 2011 and 2012 but how can we be without owning the puck to start shifts?

What's scariest is that our only player above 50% on faceoffs is Malhotra (he's around 70% somehow) - everyone else is mightily struggling. I understand Burrows and Schroeder may not be as good as other full time NHL centers, but they're all in the 30-40% arenas which is unacceptable.

Move players around, throw Higgins into center or practice this more often because being 2nd last in the entire NHL at faceoffs is not going to get us far in the playoffs.

Exactly why I can't understand people who want to just dump Manny when he is used in such an important role.

- Burrows isn't a natural center so I don't know what you expect.

- Schroeder was 50%, not sure what he is after tonight but for the most part he has been fine, for a rookie I am fine with him being anywhere from 40-50+

- Henrik needs to step up a bit, but it looked like he had a solid night tonight, I don't have the stats but he seems better.

- You also failed to mention Lappy.

Overall Kesler takes a ton of this teams faceoffs, obviously we won't be as good without him, so we shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think this is worthy of a thread as there are much more important things to worry about like how AV allowed us to sit back and blow a lead again. And the PP.

Henrik should be winning more I give you that

Burrows hasn't played centre since pee wee hockey or something so he just goes out there and hopes for the best

Schroeder is a rookie with not much size and is doing a pretty good job

this is why Malhotra is on this team, because of face-offs

with Kes back it will definitely help us out in this department, Schroeder will learn, and Henrik will get better as the season goes on

nothing to worry about right now, other than the fact that the Canucks are known to score off set face-off plays

Manny wasn't on last night at all (14%). Lappy was (8/10).

Burr won an important one at a critical point in our zone after Manny was tossed out. It's a work in progress for sure. I don't agree that F/O % isn't relevant/important, but do that the timing/placement of them is equally so. If you lose faceoffs, you don't get possession of the puck (at least immediately)...so that does matter as you're in a defensive vs offensive mode and, therefore, lose a little momentum until you can regain possession.

Really pulling for Manny to get back to his old self. Hope he can/does.

Was hoping the long off-season would help him, but instead Manny has declined even further. This is very unfortunate. However, Lappierre seems to be developing into a decent faceoff option.

Obviously, Kesler being out presents a huge hole on faceoffs.

imo Not being able to win every draw helps us in a way, as it will make this team more aware of what to do when you lose draws. But in the end you still want to win those really important ones.

Exactly why I can't understand people who want to just dump Manny when he is used in such an important role.

- Burrows isn't a natural center so I don't know what you expect.

- Schroeder was 50%, not sure what he is after tonight but for the most part he has been fine, for a rookie I am fine with him being anywhere from 40-50+

- Henrik needs to step up a bit, but it looked like he had a solid night tonight, I don't have the stats but he seems better.

- You also failed to mention Lappy.

Overall Kesler takes a ton of this teams faceoffs, obviously we won't be as good without him, so we shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think this is worthy of a thread as there are much more important things to worry about like how AV allowed us to sit back and blow a lead again. And the PP.

Archived