Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Pathetic Faceoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

This deserves it's own thread - the Canucks are, believe it or not, but 2nd last in the NHL at 46.5%. This, from the team that used to absolutely dominate the league in faceoffs with 3 of the best in Malhotra, Kesler and Henrik.

It's no surprise that you win Cups with strength down the middle and depth at center, and the last few Cup winners have all been solid faceoff teams. Now we are no longer the solid skilled, puck possession team we used to be in 2011 and 2012 but how can we be without owning the puck to start shifts?

What's scariest is that our only player above 50% on faceoffs is Malhotra (he's around 70% somehow) - everyone else is mightily struggling. I understand Burrows and Schroeder may not be as good as other full time NHL centers, but they're all in the 30-40% arenas which is unacceptable.

Move players around, throw Higgins into center or practice this more often because being 2nd last in the entire NHL at faceoffs is not going to get us far in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#2 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Our best faceoff guy, is our worst player. Problem.

#3 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

it's ticking me off, i've got henrik on my team and i NEED his faceoff points. he had a total of FIVE! killing me
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#4 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Wheres Kes?!??
Posted Image

#5 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

The only thing pathetic is the power-plays -_-

Posted Image

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Exactly why I can't understand people who want to just dump Manny when he is used in such an important role.

- Burrows isn't a natural center so I don't know what you expect.

- Schroeder was 50%, not sure what he is after tonight but for the most part he has been fine, for a rookie I am fine with him being anywhere from 40-50+

- Henrik needs to step up a bit, but it looked like he had a solid night tonight, I don't have the stats but he seems better.

- You also failed to mention Lappy.

Overall Kesler takes a ton of this teams faceoffs, obviously we won't be as good without him, so we shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think this is worthy of a thread as there are much more important things to worry about like how AV allowed us to sit back and blow a lead again. And the PP.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 01 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

zackass.png

#7 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Wheres Kes?!??

At Tim Hortons - http://canucks.nhl.c...ry.htm?id=32670
Posted Image

#8 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Don't worry, wait two weeks and I'm sure you'll see improvement ;)
Posted Image

#9 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

What's scariest is that our only player above 50% on faceoffs is Malhotra (he's around 70% somehow)

Somehow? Have you even heard of Malhotra, even with 1 eye last year he was pretty good. Kesler is one of the engines that drives this team in all aspects, just realize that and you won't question them any more. If we had Bylsma coaching, may we'd be fine...

#10 MrBuns

MrBuns

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

This hardly deserved it's own thread.

#11 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Henrik should be winning more I give you that
Burrows hasn't played centre since pee wee hockey or something so he just goes out there and hopes for the best
Schroeder is a rookie with not much size and is doing a pretty good job
this is why Malhotra is on this team, because of face-offs

with Kes back it will definitely help us out in this department, Schroeder will learn, and Henrik will get better as the season goes on

nothing to worry about right now, other than the fact that the Canucks are known to score off set face-off plays

Posted Image

#12 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Faceoff % is an over-rated and largely subjective stat. The timing of a faceoff win is far more crucial than the number.

#13 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Wheres Kes?!??

Currently Kesler has lost less face offs this year so far then any previous year. Keep up the good work Kes.

#14 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

The team isn't at its best in a lot of areas. Still working through the long off season. Let's come back to this in a couple of weeks.

Also, it's hardly fair to replace Kes' stats with Burrows. I'm just sayin'.

#15 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

It is always hard to listen to the radio broadcast here in New Zealand to hear of another faceoff loss during the game. BUT how do you teach someone to get better? I am always amazed how some players are so good in this facet of the game.

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#16 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

This is no mystery. We have a 5'8" rookie, a winger, and a guy who is statistically average taking the majority of our faceoffs.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#17 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Manny wasn't on last night at all (14%). Lappy was (8/10).

Burr won an important one at a critical point in our zone after Manny was tossed out. It's a work in progress for sure. I don't agree that F/O % isn't relevant/important, but do that the timing/placement of them is equally so. If you lose faceoffs, you don't get possession of the puck (at least immediately)...so that does matter as you're in a defensive vs offensive mode and, therefore, lose a little momentum until you can regain possession.

Really pulling for Manny to get back to his old self. Hope he can/does.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#18 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,136 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Was hoping the long off-season would help him, but instead Manny has declined even further. This is very unfortunate. However, Lappierre seems to be developing into a decent faceoff option.

Obviously, Kesler being out presents a huge hole on faceoffs.

imo Not being able to win every draw helps us in a way, as it will make this team more aware of what to do when you lose draws. But in the end you still want to win those really important ones.
Posted Image

#19 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Exactly why I can't understand people who want to just dump Manny when he is used in such an important role.

- Burrows isn't a natural center so I don't know what you expect.

- Schroeder was 50%, not sure what he is after tonight but for the most part he has been fine, for a rookie I am fine with him being anywhere from 40-50+

- Henrik needs to step up a bit, but it looked like he had a solid night tonight, I don't have the stats but he seems better.

- You also failed to mention Lappy.

Overall Kesler takes a ton of this teams faceoffs, obviously we won't be as good without him, so we shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think this is worthy of a thread as there are much more important things to worry about like how AV allowed us to sit back and blow a lead again. And the PP.

Plus the new rules change things since you can't swipe the puck with your hand till a third person touches the puck

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.