The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watching nucks games of opposing teams broadcast feeds

Popinjay

How many of you guys have experience with this? I'm a big nucks fan from Vancouver Island, but live in Boston (yea I know right)....Anyways, I used to buy NHL gamecenter or whatever it's called and watch all the games streaming online using the canucks feed. This year however, I wanted to try out NHL Center Ice. First of all, it's a bit absurd that half the games are not even in HD, but what I wanted to inquire about was the interesting dynamic of watching these games on the non Canuck broadcast feeds. I've had to watch a couple now where the Canucks feed was not available and some are pretty horrible.

I'm not talking just about biased commenting, because they are all guilty of that to a certain extent, but I mean like straight up slander and just the broadcast as a whole.

The Chicago feed last night was really actually quite good. You could tell there was a lot of hockey knowledge and they seemed to have a lot of respect for the Canucks and even praised Lu as well as some other players a lot. Even Burr got a little bit of love although they did call him disrespectful when he shot the puck in to the open net after the whistle - which I can agree with. During the intermission though there was a segment where fans texted or tweeted in (I cannot recall) who they hate the most on the Canucks and why. It could be just me, but it seemed a bit over the top and unnecessary.

LA also wasn't too bad. I don't recall too much of anything, positive or negative from the guys.

Anahiem was God Awful. These guys were just terrible all around hockey knowledge and spreading Canucks hate every chance they got talking about how everybody hates this team, etc etc. Just propagating hate every chance they got. It's easy to see how there can be so much Canucks hate (whether justified or not) when announcers like this just slander at will.

I can't even watch Bruins broadcasts here on NESN no matter who they are playing, let alone if it's the Canucks. Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley are the worst I have seen, in my opinion. I get so worked up listening to them.

It'll be interesting as the season progresses to listen to a few more of these broadcasts. I have heard the Wild and Penguins are pretty bad, but we will see (for the Wild anyway).

Ehh when I had Center Ice last season I would frequently watch the opposing teams' feeds because I couldn't get the Canadian feeds in HD. It wasn't that bad, to be honest. If you're hypersensitive then it may be a problem, but for me it was worth it to watch in HD.

But when it was two Canadian teams (like Canucks vs. the Leafs or Flames) I would always watch the Canucks feed because neither would be in HD.

Now I have the Gamecenter live app for my phone and Xbox, and I can watch any feed I want in HD, Canadian or not, so I always watch the Canucks' broadcast.

Like I said, if you let stuff get to you it's a bigger deal than if you don't. I remember watching a SJS feed last season and a commercial for an upcoming SJS-Ducks game came on and it said something like "watch your San Jose Sharks take on the annoying Corey Perry and the Ducks on Saturday!" Which was really funny. If it had said "watch your SJS take on the annoying Alex Burrows and the Canucks" I wouldn't have minded. But that's just me.

Ehh when I had Center Ice last season I would frequently watch the opposing teams' feeds because I couldn't get the Canadian feeds in HD. It wasn't that bad, to be honest. If you're hypersensitive then it may be a problem, but for me it was worth it to watch in HD.

But when it was two Canadian teams (like Canucks vs. the Leafs or Flames) I would always watch the Canucks feed because neither would be in HD.

Now I have the Gamecenter live app for my phone and Xbox, and I can watch any feed I want in HD, Canadian or not, so I always watch the Canucks' broadcast.

Like I said, if you let stuff get to you it's a bigger deal than if you don't. I remember watching a SJS feed last season and a commercial for an upcoming SJS-Ducks game came on and it said something like "watch your San Jose Sharks take on the annoying Corey Perry and the Ducks on Saturday!" Which was really funny. If it had said "watch your SJS take on the annoying Alex Burrows and the Canucks" I wouldn't have minded. But that's just me.

real good thread OP, nothing brings together uneducated masses like a united hate-on for group designated as "the enemy" for no apparent reason. That is the US for you. They like to hate-it is what gets them up in the morning. I lived in the US for many years and in broad strokes, they are lovely, warm people but I feel my post has some truth to it.

According to the league, the league makes all HD signals available to the cable/satellite partners to use. Because Dish Network refused to broadcast the Canadian signals in HD, after subscribing for 14 years, I dropped them and went over to Game Center.

A solution for you is easy. Sync the other team's HD feed with the Team 1040. You may need to pause for about 34 seconds to make it work.

The only problem I have with Game Center is the refresh rate of the HD signal.

Gamecenter Live as streamed through my Xbox was really crappy at first; it would start buffering randomly. They've since updated it, and while it still buffers from time to time, it's not nearly as bad. I just wish there was an option to select video quality like on Youtube, so that way I could choose to watch it at like 720p and not have it randomly cut out to buffer.

It is a lot better now than it was when the season started, however. I really like the Gamecenter Live because I can watch the games anywhere I want to on my phone, and I can also get the radio broadcasts on my phone when I'm at work. And since I'm living in the US, having the Canucks feed in HD is awesome!

One thing, technically I live in the Phoenix Coyotes market, and those games were the only blackouts when I had Center Ice. But with Gamecenter Live, Not only are the Coyotes games blacked out, but the Avalanche games are too, which is a real drag because I get Fox Sports Arizona, but I don't get Altitude Network (Avs network) with my cable package. It's not that big of a deal, but one of my good friends is an Avs fan, and how can we watch the Canucks whoop the Avs if it's blacked out?!

That is why I bought Game Center Live because i don't feel like watching the away broadcasts. When I watched the Kings game on Center Ice because I was too lazy to watch it on my computer they kept showing the Stoll goal many times. :sadno:

There's a few really good teams out there, the L.A Kings and Sharks colour commentators are two of the more knowledgeable guys in the business and understand the game quite well.

Then there are the real homers in the league like Pittsburgh and Boston's commentators who are dreadful for anyone not a Penguins or Bruins fan.

Have you ever watched a Sportsnet Pacific broadcast with superhomers Garrett and Shorthouse? So bad and over the top that it's quite amusing at times. I suspect that all "local" broadcasts are similary oriented towards whatever fanbase they are serving.

Archived