37 replies to this topic

#1 orango

orango

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have always liked Ballard, and feel he has been treated quite poorly here in Vancouver, but I am extremely happy to see him starting to get the praise he deserves.

Unfortunately, with his contract and with the cap coming down, it seems inevitable for him to be one of the buyout options.

My question is: Can a team resign a player that they chose to buyout next season?

The bought out player will not count against the cap, but the player will still be paid their salary. So if we did buy out Ballard, could we not resign him to league minimum? This way we keep Ballard, he still gets paid the amount of his current contract, plus the few extra hundred thousand from the new contract.

If this is allowed, it seems like a win for both the team and Ballard. He gets more money, and we no longer have to deal with his cap hit.
Posted Image

#2 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

No, a team buying out a player contract cannot resign the player for at least one full year.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#3 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,870 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Ballard is finally getting the praise he deserves because he finally deserves some praise.

To answer your question: no you can't turn around and re-sign a player after buying him out. Similar to not being able to trade a player for one year after matching an offer sheet.
Posted Image

#4 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year. I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.
Posted Image

#5 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year.  I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.

Ballard is playing well, but he is hardly the Canucks best defenceman. Take last night's game for example. Ballard played 15.39 minutes. This is the fifth highest time on ice for the Canucks d that game. The fourth highest d-man, Garrison, played 21.51 mins.If Ballard is the best d-man, why is he not put on the ice more by the coaches, who rely on winning games to keep their jobs?Given that Ballard is playing a third pairing role, his $4.2m salary is more than his role is worth. That is why he may be a buyout candidate.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#6 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Gotta keep Ballard, he's in beast mode.

Posted Image

#7 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ballard is playing well, but he is hardly the Canucks best defenceman. Take last night's game for example. Ballard played 15.39 minutes. This is the fifth highest time on ice for the Canucks d that game. The fourth highest d-man, Garrison, played 21.51 mins.If Ballard is the best d-man, why is he not put on the ice more by the coaches, who rely on winning games to keep their jobs?Given that Ballard is playing a third pairing role, his $4.2m salary is more than his role is worth. That is why he may be a buyout candidate.

He may not be a top 4D on the Nucks (although right now he is playing like one), but he would be on other teams. The way he is playing, he could garner +++ in a trade. The only problem is....who do you replace him with? If we make a cup run this year, I think I would rather have Ballard around; especially if there is an injury situation.

#8 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

He may not be a top 4D on the Nucks (although right now he is playing like one), but he would be on other teams. The way he is playing, he could garner +++ in a trade. The only problem is....who do you replace him with? If we make a cup run this year, I think I would rather have Ballard around; especially if there is an injury situation.

Once again this is only till the end of the season. IF we were to win the Cup, I think that would change matters. IF no, then chances are he will be subject to a buyout. He has been playing better but still for his cap hit I doubt he would be able to justify his paycheck with 5-6 paring.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#9 Manktown

Manktown

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I don't think you're allowed to reacquire the player in any way until the next season, be it by trade, waivers, signing, etc.

#10 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Why the hell would you buy out Ballard.

He's been phenomenal this season.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#11 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

You so funny. Look at the other games where he and Tanev been the top pairing, do they play more then Eddie, Garrison ,Bieksa, or Hamhuis? Not at all
Posted Image

#12 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Without Ballard our d would be so soft. He's the only one who always plays the body and plays gritty every game imo.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 ken kaniff

ken kaniff

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

i dont think it is necessary to buy out ballard. the way he has been playing he can be traded to a team in need of defense(Washington, Philadelphia, Carolina, NYI, etc...). he can be a top 4 d-man on those teams imo.
RIP rick
Sig too big.

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ballard has been playing better then Bieksa so far. Sorry bro. top 4 guy sitting in the bottom pairing. Only a few teams have the luxary of having a top 4 defencemen in the bottom pairing.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#15 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,870 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year. I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's our best d-man but he is playing well. The problem is his cap hit is rather high for a third pair d-man. Just as Malhotra's cap hit is a little high for a fourth line center. Malhotra's contract runs out this year so it isn't a real problem. Ballard on the other hand has two more seasons on his deal. If he keeps playing well I don't think we'll have to buy him out. He should be tradeable.
Posted Image

#16 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Right now I'd rather buyout Bieksa to he honest. Of course, we could probably get something in a trade for Bieksa.

Edited by C00KIES, 02 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#17 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I hope we trade bieksa, buyout booth.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#18 klosetotheheart

klosetotheheart

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hopefully, with our Luongo moneys, we can keep Ballard.

#19 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

We have 3 pairings who can play 20 minutes, so why mess with that
Posted Image

#20 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

He's doing good. Gotta love his hip checks

#21 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I don't think we will be buying out Ballard, or anyone for that matter.
I don't think many teams will be buying out players, unless it was situations like Gomez or Redden.

Do it right away or dont bother.

What motivation could a player like Ballard have to play his best. If he knows that by playing 80% he will get bought out, and be able to resign with another team, overall making a bunch more money. Wouldn't you? Especially when you consider he probably doesn't like how the Canucks have treated him so far.

Think about Luongo. If he wanted he could have sucked as much as he wanted to start this season, so nobody would want to trade for him. The he collects his massive buyout. Sign a 1 year million dollar contract with some random team next year, all of a sudden starts playing like a top 10 goalie in the league again, BAM a new hefty contract.

#22 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

We have 3 pairings who can play 20 minutes, so why mess with that

But Weber can play 30 minutes a game!!!?!! Why did MG Fail. Derp.

I agree, all 6 defensemen being capable to be on the ice at almost any time is very essential. Much more valuable than one pairing that plays 25-30, another playing 17, and the third barely playing at all.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#23 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

You so funny. Look at the other games where he and Tanev been the top pairing, do they play more then Eddie, Garrison ,Bieksa, or Hamhuis? Not at all

I have looked. Ballard/Tanev have not been the top pairing in any games this year. They have played well, and been excellent in their role, but they have not played more minutes than either other pair in any game.They have been excellent at keeping the other teams bottom six off the scoreboard. They haven't produced much on offense, having only 1 assist between the two of them. They are an excellent third pairing. They are not the Canucks top pairing.

#24 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Once again this is only till the end of the season. IF we were to win the Cup, I think that would change matters. IF no, then chances are he will be subject to a buyout. He has been playing better but still for his cap hit I doubt he would be able to justify his paycheck with 5-6 paring.

Once again, he would be a top 4D on other teams. The recent UFA contracts point out how overpaid decent D man are now. Honestly, I don't see Ballard getting bought out. If Nucks don't want him, he will be traded to a team that's desperate for D.

#25 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ballard has been outstanding.

If he continues this I would look at trading someone else if we had too, we would probably get more in return aswell (Bieksa or Garrison)

zackass.png

#26 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

As many people have pointed out, there is no need to buy out Ballard.

i) If the Canucks feel the need to get rid of Ballard, he is certainly tradeable. He would play top 4 D on a lot of teams and his cap hit of 4.2 million is fine for top 4 -- a bit on the high side but there would be takers and the Canucks would get something in return.

ii) There is no real need to get rid of Ballard. The Canucks have 14 players signed for next year for about 60 million. The other players on the 23 man roster will be young guys or other low cost players, but the Canucks will still need to lose one significant salary of a player currently signed to stay under next year's cap of about 64 million. Ballard is one option. Louongo is one option (and it is very unlikely that both Schneider and Luongo will be here next year), and Booth is an option. Right now I would keep Ballard over Booth.

iii) I am not ruling out trading two large cap hits -- such as Luongo and Ballard, but it is not strictly necessary.

#27 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Could be because he is on the 3rd line and it would look a bit silly elevating him past Garrison or Edler time wise.

I think we are blessed with such a talented 3rd line pairing and in the playoffs they also showed up better than some further up the line. If we got an injury he and/or Tanev are great players to fill in temporarily.
Kevin.jpg

#28 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don`t understand why everyone wants to buy out Booth.... He had some great moments last year, expecially right before his injury and after he came back. I have been saying all along he will be an important part of this team when he comes back.

No videos in sig please. 

#29 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I don`t understand why everyone wants to buy out Booth.... He had some great moments last year, expecially right before his injury and after he came back. I have been saying all along he will be an important part of this team when he comes back.

because I hope we get something back for luongo that can help us win now... which means that we'll probably take back some salary. And considering we're significantly over the cap right now, we need to free up money somehow.

Booth has never been worth $4.25m since he signed his concussion. Higgins and Raymond aren't much worse, and I'd rather keep our defensive depth as its a strength of ours, espescially without 2 #1 goalies. Trading Bieksa removes our biggest defensive liability, and he has tremendous trade value around the league.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#30 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

:picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.