The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about Ballard and the buyout

orango

I have always liked Ballard, and feel he has been treated quite poorly here in Vancouver, but I am extremely happy to see him starting to get the praise he deserves.

Unfortunately, with his contract and with the cap coming down, it seems inevitable for him to be one of the buyout options.

My question is: Can a team resign a player that they chose to buyout next season?

The bought out player will not count against the cap, but the player will still be paid their salary. So if we did buy out Ballard, could we not resign him to league minimum? This way we keep Ballard, he still gets paid the amount of his current contract, plus the few extra hundred thousand from the new contract.

If this is allowed, it seems like a win for both the team and Ballard. He gets more money, and we no longer have to deal with his cap hit.

Ballard is finally getting the praise he deserves because he finally deserves some praise.

To answer your question: no you can't turn around and re-sign a player after buying him out. Similar to not being able to trade a player for one year after matching an offer sheet.

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year. I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year.  I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.

Ballard is playing well, but he is hardly the Canucks best defenceman. Take last night's game for example. Ballard played 15.39 minutes. This is the fifth highest time on ice for the Canucks d that game. The fourth highest d-man, Garrison, played 21.51 mins.If Ballard is the best d-man, why is he not put on the ice more by the coaches, who rely on winning games to keep their jobs?Given that Ballard is playing a third pairing role, his $4.2m salary is more than his role is worth. That is why he may be a buyout candidate.

He may not be a top 4D on the Nucks (although right now he is playing like one), but he would be on other teams. The way he is playing, he could garner +++ in a trade. The only problem is....who do you replace him with? If we make a cup run this year, I think I would rather have Ballard around; especially if there is an injury situation.

Ballard is playing well, but he is hardly the Canucks best defenceman. Take last night's game for example. Ballard played 15.39 minutes. This is the fifth highest time on ice for the Canucks d that game. The fourth highest d-man, Garrison, played 21.51 mins.If Ballard is the best d-man, why is he not put on the ice more by the coaches, who rely on winning games to keep their jobs?Given that Ballard is playing a third pairing role, his $4.2m salary is more than his role is worth. That is why he may be a buyout candidate.

Who says we need to buyout Ballard, he's our best D-man right now. We have a goalie to move which will reduce cap almost to next years cap. Then we also have some prospects which will slot into the lineup next year. I could see this thread being valid if he was playing horribly but come on now, give the guy some credit.

Archived