The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Desperately seeking whipping boy

oldnews

[Enter] Paradox.

You silence him, then continue to state you have the equal right to voice your opinion that he does...

Also: completely sick of seeing people cry about post count. With all the POSTING you've done on these boards, you should know by now how irritating it is to see people mention it, am I right?

Someone who's POSTED as much as you should know better than to lord yourself over others and attempt to speak for the masses, especially when those masses are CDC, the most inbred group of people not named the Boston Bruins.

Now, to add some actual content to this post... the team plays great when they play, but they collectively stop playing 33% of any given game. IMO, that's on the coach's shoulders.

This is where our opinions split on the topic. He created a thread to talk about which whipping boy (whether sarcastic or not) would be nominated next. I just replied in his thread. It's not against the board rules to voice my opinion, but it is to create a thread where one already exists, or where he's making fun of other posters - or serious about actually needing a new whipping boy!

He's welcome to put his opinion in the other threads that are around if he can keep it in the guidelines. I'm here in his thread talking about his topic rather than going and complaining about it by making a thread of my own to make fun of this one.

If you don't feel I'm doing that, or if you feel I'm breaking a board rule, I'd happily hear about it. I'd also be happy to hear someone say they think this thread is a good idea - which I still haven't heard yet.

You are correct in saying I mentioned his post count. However, it wasn't the typical "we need a minimum post count before people can create threads" argument. Instead I noted he'd been posting for so long I was surprised he'd create such a negative thread regardless of what I think of the common denominator on CDC.

But I guess that'll be my whipping boy for this thread, not a player, coach or GM, but the fans who turn this forum from being something fun to something useless and negative.

You don't think I know that? My first post calls him out for mocking the bandwagon fans:

I guess I could expand it to include the people who are negative all the time as well, but when has a thread that is negative about a specific group of people who post in CDC ever been ok? The OP knows that, and I called him out for doing it, not for actually thinking this threads was to create a whipping boy (although I certainly allowed for the possibility).

Then I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

I guess it's all just a bit tiring; both the annoying threads from people you and oldnews (and I) are against, but also the ones where people reply by creating a new thread thinking it will change anything (particularly if they're a mocking thread versus at least trying to be helpful).

It'd be much easier to brush off if it wasn't someone who should know better and I'd think would at least try to avoid falling into the same low level as those he's mocking.

You've made yourself clear elvis.

You're above the trolling. You're above the sarcasm in response to the trolling. You're above my point that there aren't any appropriate whipping boys or that the impulse to always find one is tedious.

You're above this thread... and many, many others... where you nevertheless descend into the mere dust of the arena to show us how above them you are, and that we should all be like you, and behave here as you see fit.

Honestly, the amount of energy you expend attempting to control and appropriate threads endlessly makes me wonder whether you in fact find it tiring and tedious. Another paradox perhaps. Is there another issue entirely? You appear to be exercising some kind of proprietary delusion. You've clearly developed an axe to grind where I am concerned because I have called your obsessive judgement, as you've called my sarcasm. You enter so many threads to ostensibly make it better, by essentially judging other people's participation. With all due respect, I find it as offensive as trolling, and as arrogant as my sarcasm anyday. If you are so aloof to this, why are you continuing to engage in this futile, cyclical behaviour that you are so quick to claim you are 'above'? How many posts ago was it now that you played the "ignore" option card? You are certainly free to do so, in fact I wish you would, and yet you continue to 'lower' yourself to this level...

I think it is clear we are all hockey fans and Canucks fans here and a Canucks chat board brings every type of fan.

Whether old or young hockey is our common denominator.

All the rest is entertainment with opinions and emotions for all to read and comment upon.

As for Elvis,he should do his thing because he is correct in the strictest sense of the bog rules.I ignore what he says,but he has every right to say it.

Mostly,we come here for fun and to poke fun.With going on fifty years without a cup it is pretty obvious that to take the Canucks too seriously is not very good for your health.

^ +1 for that.

I'm not trying to be the no fun police and I can understand this might be a good way to let off steam, but it isn't really appropriate. Some of those others threads aren't either, so I get the sentiment, but I also see the same replies there so why does this need it's own thread?

Certainly I can't change the world and I don't think oldnews expected to either, just my opinion (and some board rules thrown in) so I can appreciate people don't mind me voicing it whatever my own hang ups about being too anal or coming off as mini-modding. I always try to be informative, so I hope I don't come across as that but I know how I perceive a fair number of oldnews' comments of late, so I'm open to another side at least.

Archived