The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2012/2013 University thread

thatguy17

My term 1 average was a total mess cuz of my 58 in english (terrible teacher who barely teaches or explains anything, just gives the assignments and essays to us to do). And i shouldve done a little better on the math and sciences. Principal let me switch in term 2 so now i'm with a better teacher. Marks in term 2 are def looking better so far :)

Planning to do engineering (science as backup). Applied to UBC, SFU, UA and a few on the east side. My first choice is UBC Engineering and average should be in high 80's to low 90's

As a senior in SFU my advice for people aspiring to get into business, TRY TO GET IN IT RIGHT AWAY. I bet your counselors are telling you if you can't make it you can always transfer to it. However, out of all the people that tried this, they ended up not making it. Most ended up going to Economics which has become another popular major.

One of the reason is that entering University as a freshmen can sometimes become a *shock*. You need to adjust your study habits, there's no more teacher's to hold your hands, yell at you when your not listening in class, punish you when you miss class, It'll be all up to you to get a good grade. Do not for a second think your professor will care for you if you fail, it will be all up to you.

Also one advice, if you still don't know what you want to do... PLEASE do more research. Do not just say "I'll get into University first and decide what I'll do there". Most courses in SFU and UBC have pre-requisites, once you change your mind on something you could be looking at wasting a couple of semesters. Do what you feel is right for you.

Once your in be proud of yourself and most importantly try hard from the get go! It saves a lot of trouble. The jump from Highschool to University is not easy. I had a friend who was a 95% average in Highschool drop out of SFU because he could not change his study habits, he was to used on being in a "system" where the teacher held his hand.

Also it would be beneficial to learn Calculus beforehand, most first year courses require it and I can't tell how many people have failed this in their first semester.

Good luck!

If you have more questions feel free to post here about SFU or UBC. The best answer is usually from the people who are in the system! Looking back at my highschool years, the counselor knew nothing.

I had an 89 average 2 years ago along with some good extra curriculars (2 school sport teams, and over a hundred volunteer hours). I didn't get into UBC Arts at all, and wasn't an early acceptant for SFU.

It's ridiculous what it takes to get into University nowadays.

Don't worry you'll be fine with an 87. Unless they really have changed the regulations that fast... since 2010. Most of my friends got in and most of them had an average lower then yours and in terms of "extra-curricular" activities, we just did the usual... nothing impressive.

Btw what Major did you apply for? I don't know how Jagger there not get accepted. UBC arts is quite easy to get in as long as you have an 80+ percent average.

Don't worry you'll be fine with an 87. Unless they really have changed the regulations that fast... since 2010. Most of my friends got in and most of them had an average lower then yours and in terms of "extra-curricular" activities, we just did the usual... nothing impressive.

Btw what Major did you apply for? I don't know how Jagger there not get accepted. UBC arts is quite easy to get in as long as you have an 80+ percent average.

It is harder to get in now. You can thank inflated high school grades, they're making it way too easy now, and that's coming from a person who graduated high school in 2011. The teachers hold your hand way too tight now, and I'll admit, I took advantage of that (who wouldn't?). And the fact that universities are accepting courses like Law 12 (a complete joke of a course) inflates grades even more.

UBC Science for my year was 91, and now it's 93. I got into Arts with a 91 (or 92? I forget), but I'm pretty sure high 80's is still the minimum. Engineering is usually one of the easiest faculty to get into, but it's the hardest to stay in so keep that in mind. It probably has the heaviest workload out of all the faculties. Business (Sauder) is the hardest to get into, I don't even know want to know what the entrance average for that faculty is now.

If you're planning to do ANYTHING math related, get familiar with first year calculus,, I failed pretty hard this year at first year calculus, but I'm pretty sure I could have done better if I had reviewed some Math 12 material and prepared for some basic calculus. It's one of the courses at UBC where if you don't keep up with the material, you will fail.

Which leads me to my next point. In university, there are no bonus marks, or "catch-up work." If you fail, you fail. Moral of the story? Don't slack off, STUDY. Difference here is that in university, you actually need to study. That last minute crap in high school doesn't work here. Sorry if I'm scaring you guys, but I'm only saying this because I somehow reverted back to my high school habits in the first semester of this year (I'm in second year) and sorta f'ed up.

Lol about inflated grades, my physics teacher offers rewrites of tests to get up to 80% if ur test mark was below 80% (he made it 90% for the last test!) :P And my precalc teacher is giving bonus assignments to boost up marks

Do you know the admission average for engineering? What are my chances with an exact 90% avg + strong personal profile?

It feels like I graduated an eternity ago.. Slowly ploughing through my business undergrad.

I graduated high school with around a 94 and loooots of extra -curricular stuff. I applied to Beedie (SFU), Sauder (UBC), and Gustavson (UVIC) and was accepted to all 3 (those are the names of the business schools). Didn't consider anywhere outside of BC- love it here too much.

For high school grads, specifically hopeful undergrad business students- focus on the extra stuff. If you've above around 85 and have lots of leadership and volunteer stuff, you'll definitely get into the "big 3" in BC (if that's the route you're choosing). Make sure you KILL your supplemental app- you really have to sell yourselves. But honestly, it doesn't really matter where you get your undergrad from as long as you work hard and keep your GPA up. So don't be too heartbroken if you don't get into your #1 school of choice. Just try to put fourth the best application you can because business is so competitive so your supplemental will help differentiate you from the pack.

Enjoy senior year! First semester, first year is a battle. I remember having mental breakdowns 1st week in calc (TAKE CALCULUS IN HIGHSCHOOL IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY) and trying to adjust to living on rez. You get used to it though and the people you meet are way cooler than your high school friends and the experiences you'll have make all the studying worth it. Although in business you meet a lot of keeners who have their whole lives figured out and seem to be involved in everything- ENJOY first year and soak it all in.

I remember how overwhelming I thought grade 12 was... what a joke. University is a lot harder- but honestly, if you work hard you can easily Ace all your classes (in business... I feel bad for all of you science/ engineering kids- say goodbye to your lives if that's the program you're planning on going into). Although the grading in business is EXTREMELY competitive, you can and will get high marks if you put in the time.

Also one advice, if you still don't know what you want to do... PLEASE do more research. Do not just say "I'll get into University first and decide what I'll do there". Most courses in SFU and UBC have pre-requisites, once you change your mind on something you could be looking at wasting a couple of semesters. Do what you feel is right for you.

Archived