99 replies to this topic

#31 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

My advice? Your grades and what school you end up with doesn't matter NEARLY as much as you think it does. I learned that the hard way...

This is coming from someone who graduated HS with over 90+ average, with early acceptance and entrance scholarship to SFU (which is a joke school btw).

What you learn during school and what you do after finishing really all depends on you.

Edited by Rypien37, 03 February 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#32 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Looking for advice from you uni students..

I'm 99% sure that I'll be going into business because well, let's face it - I'm terrible with math and would probably be useless in sciences and engineering.

I'm for sure completing both bio 11 and 12 so i'm wondering if anyone of you would advise or advise against taking chemistry 11 as well?

Also, is accounting 11/12 just a waste of time?

(i know it's a little bit early to be thinking about this but.. :frantic: )

Edited by Fudd, 04 February 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#33 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

I'm 99% sure that I'll be going into business because well, let's face it - I'm terrible with math and would probably be useless in sciences and engineering.

I'm for sure completing both bio 11 and 12 so i'm wondering if anyone of you would advise or advise against taking chemistry 11 as well?

Also, is accounting 11 just a waste of time?

I took a high school accounting class and it helped me be a bit more comfortable with the terms and techniques when I took financial accounting. Won't teach you everything but not a waste of time if the class actually teaches you something.

Take calculus, even if you are bad at it, as first year calc in uni is brutal if you are unfamiliar with what is going on. Getting some experience, and one on one help from a teacher is worth it compared to learning it in uni where the prof won't give you the time of day

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#34 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

My advice? Your grades and what school you end up with doesn't matter NEARLY as much as you think it does. I learned that the hard way...

This is coming from someone who graduated HS with over 90+ average, with early acceptance and entrance scholarship to SFU (which is a joke school btw).

What you learn during school and what you do after finishing really all depends on you.

After 2 years here I have to agree SFU is a joke and vastly over rated. you are treated as a number to the school, they don't try to help you and no one graduates on time.

These are just some of the reasons I'm transferring after this semester

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#35 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

If you're not that great in math, just go to Arts.

After 2 years here I have to agree SFU is a joke and vastly over rated. you are treated as a number to the school, they don't try to help you and no one graduates on time.

Sadly, I can't transfer out of SFU because there's no other university within Vancouver that offers Communications as an undergrad degree... Plus, SFU has plenty full of beautiful women :)

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#36 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

What faculty are you in? I go to SFU and have a completely different outlook than you.
Posted Image

#37 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Business programs, in general, have a lot of math. In fact, your first two years are almost entirely math. If you want to be successful in the econ courses, which are required for your first two yeasr of business, a basic understanding of calculus is also a must.

Biology, physics, and chemistry will not help you in any way in business....well maybe the physics, but only because it involves a lot of math and calculus.

Edit:

Here's the program outline for UBC Commerce:

http://www.sauder.ub...rogram_Overview

Economics is almost entirely graphs and math. Any sort of accounting, finance, economics, calculus, or statistics course is going to be very heavy on math.

Edited by taxi, 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#38 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

What faculty are you in? I go to SFU and have a completely different outlook than you.

biz/econ

I can see how sfu would have many different effects on people, but it always seems I've been given the short end of the stick here

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#39 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

POPULAR

SFU sucks.
Posted Image

#40 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Business programs, in general, have a lot of math. In fact, your first two years are almost entirely math. If you want to be successful in the econ courses, which are required for your first two yeasr of business, a basic understanding of calculus is also a must.

Biology, physics, and chemistry will not help you in any way in business....well maybe the physics, but only because it involves a lot of math and calculus.

Edit:

Economics is almost entirely graphs and math. Any sort of accounting, finance, economics, calculus, or statistics course is going to be very heavy on math.

Thanks, I guess I overexaggerated a little - I'm alright with it, just not one of those crazy math geeks who can do a hard problem in a split second.

Thanks for the head's up. Looks like I better focus on my math more.

#41 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

biz/econ

I can see how sfu would have many different effects on people, but it always seems I've been given the short end of the stick here

I see.. Business is a biotch for business/econ people at SFU but for other faculties, it's probably a different story... Oh well, better than Sauder I guess

SFU sucks.

Not for criminology, kinesiology, comp sci, and communications... SFU is known for having pretty good programs within those areas

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#42 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

If you have an 87 average you should be a lock in. Often kids with 75% get in to sciences and art. If you want to get into business it get's a little sketchy but you should be good. The only University that I know has started accepting although only conditionally is the University of Calgary.

This is false on many levels. Remember that, at least for UBC, the personal profile will be the determining factor of what gets you in before the other students that also have an 89%.

Nowadays, it's easy to be smart in highschool, it's a matter of what you can do to stand out of the crowd that will get you accepted.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#43 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I see.. Business is a biotch for business/econ people at SFU but for other faculties, it's probably a different story... Oh well, better than Sauder I guess

Not for criminology, kinesiology, comp sci, and communications... SFU is known for having pretty good programs within those areas

I just think that SFU accepts too many people into the school, which floods classes.

"Good programs" is also a very vague description that they laud themselves on. "most comprehensive school" ranked by Macleans sounds cool, except it means you get to take a wide variety of courses because the ones you want to take are full.

I was shocked when in my 4th semester, it was the first time I had ever heard a prof say they were going to use a book not written by them because it was a good text and good read, versus a royalty check for every other class

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#44 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

LOL!

Get into UBC. Learn to meet the right people. Start making money in first year.

Don't join the frats, become the person they need.

This is where you're ill informed.... meeting a 75% average in some fraternities (at least mine) will notch you a $1000 scholarship. That comes with all the other perks in being a fraternity member.

As long as you choose a fraternity that pays significant attention to school along with social life, you will be just fine. I'm maintaining an 80 average right now in my second year, and hopefully will be getting that higher after this semester.

@ the person who said the rest of the campus will hate us... you clearly don't know anyone in the greek system, most of us are very open to meeting new people. You may just have had a bad experience with one or two, but for the most part, we're open guys.

#45 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is where you're ill informed.... meeting a 75% average in some fraternities (at least mine) will notch you a $1000 scholarship. That comes with all the other perks in being a fraternity member.

As long as you choose a fraternity that pays significant attention to school along with social life, you will be just fine. I'm maintaining an 80 average right now in my second year, and hopefully will be getting that higher after this semester.

@ the person who said the rest of the campus will hate us... you clearly don't know anyone in the greek system, most of us are very open to meeting new people. You may just have had a bad experience with one or two, but for the most part, we're open guys.

A lot of my friends are in the Greek System. I've even heard them say that it's eating away a lot of their time that should be put toward education. I have nothing against frats, and actually take that part back(the "LOL"). But you can even agree that fraternities will take up the bigger portion of your uni life.

In other news though, you might find this interesting:
http://ubyssey.ca/ne...-sigma-back345/

Edited by MillerGenuineDraft, 04 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#46 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I was in Crim......still sucked.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#47 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Wow you guys are smart, I'm stuck with an 84 average... Hello Langara

Nothing wrong with going to Langara, LeanBeaf!

I went to Langara for my first two years and then transferred to UBC as a "mature student". I then did the final 2 years of My BHK and got my 2 year BEd immediately after. Langara saved me a sh!tload of money and I met some great peeps there, too. It's also way more like High School in that the campus is smaller and the classes are smaller. I had some awesome profs there, too.

Look at a calendar for what you want to do at a University and go to the college that will allow you to do the most before you start paying big dollars for University tuition. You won't regret it, dude!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#48 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I was in Crim......still sucked.

Currently in Crim.....I agree.

Edited by Jägermeister, 04 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image

#49 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Edit:

Just wanted to modify your statement a little. Economics at UBC for the first two years isn't math intensive (unless you take Game Theory which is a course I hated with passion), the courses are more conceptual which is the reason why I'm still taking ECON even though my math is as bad as it can get. However, having said that, take calculus in high school, it will help once you take first year calculus and start enrolling in third year ECON courses. I don't know much about Sauder but I've heard the first couple of years only require basic high school math.

And what's with all the hate on SFU coming from their own students? I thought that was UBC's job :lol:

I have plenty of friends in SFU and they're totally fine with the school. I actually have a couple of friends that got accepted into UBC but went to SFU because of their well known Kinesiology program. Lastly, the college route will save you a lot of money, that's definitely true, just make sure your credits from college will smoothly transfer over.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 04 February 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#50 canucks_for_cup27

canucks_for_cup27

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Nothing wrong with going to Langara, LeanBeaf!

I went to Langara for my first two years and then transferred to UBC as a "mature student". I then did the final 2 years of My BHK and got my 2 year BEd immediately after. Langara saved me a sh!tload of money and I met some great peeps there, too. It's also way more like High School in that the campus is smaller and the classes are smaller. I had some awesome profs there, too.

Look at a calendar for what you want to do at a University and go to the college that will allow you to do the most before you start paying big dollars for University tuition. You won't regret it, dude!

" I wish my life was more like highschool" - Said no 20 year old ever

#51 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Actually I know quite a few people back home who would love to go back to their glory days, as you can guess they don't go to uni

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#52 Khushrenada

Khushrenada

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I just graduated with a BA in Economics at UBC, and it is not really that math intensive. Yes, you need a fully year of calculus but beyond that you'll be fine with a strong grasp of algebra.

Econometrics essentially comes down to maniuplating forumla's for proofs and being able to interpret regression outputs (at least it was with my professor). Advanced microeconomics is the only real course outside of calculus where you will need to apply derivatives and (maybe...just maybe) integration, but even then you won't see any particularly difficult calculus. Afterall they are primarily testing you on the economics not tricky calculus problems. I took six 400 level economics courses and I did not need to apply any calculus knowledge at all. Professors would show you the proof, but it was never required to replicate the proof on an exam.

That being said if you want to go further with economics and really be able to make a career out of it you will need to master calculus.

On a more general note I would strongly recommend one goes through arts. If you are thinking about 'business' you can always do it later. Short of marketing, finance and accounting are fields you can enter with an arts degree. Math is in arts, economics is in arts and as long as you take some basic calculus, statistics, and economics (something you could do while majoring in lets say Asian Studies) you can make a career in 'business'.

It is true that while arts does not directly translate into hard techinical skills, but it teaches you how to think. Being able to critically assess material with your words and writing is greatley transferable in any field. Expanding your mind is, in my opinion, the best thing you can do while at university, and for that I think studying arts is best.

Of course, fields in the sciences and engineering are not really accessible outside of a tradiational bachelor degree, so if you are interested in that I would start there. But if you want to go to medical school I recommend going to the easiest university possible as a lot of institutions do not factor in where you went when evaluating your GPA.

Relating to business:

[img][img][IMG]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7159/cdcsignaturesanandacrap.th.jpg[/IMG][/img][/img]

#53 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Actually I know quite a few people back home who would love to go back to their glory days, as you can guess they don't go to uni

Sorry, boys. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough for you.

My reference to "... more like High School..." was referring to class size, campus size, and professor involvement in my education at Langara, not my "glory days". Either you are trying to be funny or you are just completely ignorant douchebags.

I was just trying to share my educational experiences with a kid who was asking for different routes to go.

By the way, my "glory days" are right now... Teaching High School Science, Math and Music with my best friend in a "Music Academy" within a school with a population of 1000+. Great career, great wife, great life. Hope you have it as good at 45.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#54 Resiliency

Resiliency

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Anyone have any advice for someone going into Engineering? Trying to decide between Waterloo and UBC (IF accepted to both).

Posted Image

#55 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Anyone have any advice for someone going into Engineering? Trying to decide between Waterloo and UBC (IF accepted to both).

Does Waterloo just have you apply to engineering or did you have to pick a particular kind?

rsz_avs.jpg

#56 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have a friend who was in Waterloo, not in Engineering, and honestly, he felt like an idiot in that university. Here, he was one of the smartest person in our class, if not, one of the smartest, and when he went out east, Waterloo made him look like nothing.. Then again that was computer science so I have no say about Engineering.. He transferred back here to UBC but he's taking a semester off so yea

I think UBC Engineering is just as tough and competitive but its still as tough. Got another friend doing UBC Engineering and he has so much schoolwork it's almost unbearable.. And he just finished a course last semester where his final exam was worth 100% of his grade.

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 04 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#57 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Anyone get accepted to BCIT yet? I've been waiting and waiting... Self reported my grades to them right when my first term marks were out, no response.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#58 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

If you have an 87 average you should be a lock in. Often kids with 75% get in to sciences and art. If you want to get into business it get's a little sketchy but you should be good. The only University that I know has started accepting although only conditionally is the University of Calgary.

Just out of curiosity, are you in the process of applying right now? Where did you hear this?

I graduated HS in 2009 and that number is low even for my graduating year. Anything less than 85% back then and I would have been concerned about getting into UBC Science.

Then again, I know the whole application process has been revamped post-scrapping of provincial exams, so maybe the information you're getting is about right.

#59 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

biz/econ

That's surprising. I'm in biz and I love it here. I chose it over Sauder. Within my first year I already had the opportunities to meet tons of big corporate professionals and network with some pretty successful people. Profs are fun and engaging and Beedie has so many events across every concentration along with tooons of other things such as case comps etc.

I'm really surprised haha. Guess people have different experiences. Hope it gets better for you!

PS. Beedie won academic school of the year at JDC West (prestigious case competition that schools across Western Canada compete at).
Posted Image

#60 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

A lot of my friends are in the Greek System. I've even heard them say that it's eating away a lot of their time that should be put toward education. I have nothing against frats, and actually take that part back(the "LOL"). But you can even agree that fraternities will take up the bigger portion of your uni life.

In other news though, you might find this interesting:
http://ubyssey.ca/ne...-sigma-back345/

Yeah there are times where it can kill time spent to studying, but it's pretty much up to the person if they want it to. The social activities are definitely out there... you'll be able to find some place to spend your time everyday in the greek system. Some people let it affect them, others realize they're at University for a reason: to get an education.

It's also not all partying, my resume has expanded immensely from all the philanthropy work we do.

Saw that link from the ubyssey, happy to see it work out for them :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.