The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2012/2013 University thread

thatguy17

I see.. Business is a biotch for business/econ people at SFU but for other faculties, it's probably a different story... Oh well, better than Sauder I guess

Not for criminology, kinesiology, comp sci, and communications... SFU is known for having pretty good programs within those areas

This is where you're ill informed.... meeting a 75% average in some fraternities (at least mine) will notch you a $1000 scholarship. That comes with all the other perks in being a fraternity member.

As long as you choose a fraternity that pays significant attention to school along with social life, you will be just fine. I'm maintaining an 80 average right now in my second year, and hopefully will be getting that higher after this semester.

@ the person who said the rest of the campus will hate us... you clearly don't know anyone in the greek system, most of us are very open to meeting new people. You may just have had a bad experience with one or two, but for the most part, we're open guys.

Business programs, in general, have a lot of math. In fact, your first two years are almost entirely math. If you want to be successful in the econ courses, which are required for your first two yeasr of business, a basic understanding of calculus is also a must.

Biology, physics, and chemistry will not help you in any way in business....well maybe the physics, but only because it involves a lot of math and calculus.

Edit:

Here's the program outline for UBC Commerce:

http://www.sauder.ub...rogram_Overview

Economics is almost entirely graphs and math. Any sort of accounting, finance, economics, calculus, or statistics course is going to be very heavy on math.

Nothing wrong with going to Langara, LeanBeaf!

I went to Langara for my first two years and then transferred to UBC as a "mature student". I then did the final 2 years of My BHK and got my 2 year BEd immediately after. Langara saved me a sh!tload of money and I met some great peeps there, too. It's also way more like High School in that the campus is smaller and the classes are smaller. I had some awesome profs there, too.

Look at a calendar for what you want to do at a University and go to the college that will allow you to do the most before you start paying big dollars for University tuition. You won't regret it, dude!

I just graduated with a BA in Economics at UBC, and it is not really that math intensive. Yes, you need a fully year of calculus but beyond that you'll be fine with a strong grasp of algebra.

Econometrics essentially comes down to maniuplating forumla's for proofs and being able to interpret regression outputs (at least it was with my professor). Advanced microeconomics is the only real course outside of calculus where you will need to apply derivatives and (maybe...just maybe) integration, but even then you won't see any particularly difficult calculus. Afterall they are primarily testing you on the economics not tricky calculus problems. I took six 400 level economics courses and I did not need to apply any calculus knowledge at all. Professors would show you the proof, but it was never required to replicate the proof on an exam.

That being said if you want to go further with economics and really be able to make a career out of it you will need to master calculus.

On a more general note I would strongly recommend one goes through arts. If you are thinking about 'business' you can always do it later. Short of marketing, finance and accounting are fields you can enter with an arts degree. Math is in arts, economics is in arts and as long as you take some basic calculus, statistics, and economics (something you could do while majoring in lets say Asian Studies) you can make a career in 'business'.

It is true that while arts does not directly translate into hard techinical skills, but it teaches you how to think. Being able to critically assess material with your words and writing is greatley transferable in any field. Expanding your mind is, in my opinion, the best thing you can do while at university, and for that I think studying arts is best.

Of course, fields in the sciences and engineering are not really accessible outside of a tradiational bachelor degree, so if you are interested in that I would start there. But if you want to go to medical school I recommend going to the easiest university possible as a lot of institutions do not factor in where you went when evaluating your GPA.

Relating to business:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-HDQFzHfM

If you have an 87 average you should be a lock in. Often kids with 75% get in to sciences and art. If you want to get into business it get's a little sketchy but you should be good. The only University that I know has started accepting although only conditionally is the University of Calgary.

A lot of my friends are in the Greek System. I've even heard them say that it's eating away a lot of their time that should be put toward education. I have nothing against frats, and actually take that part back(the "LOL"). But you can even agree that fraternities will take up the bigger portion of your uni life.

In other news though, you might find this interesting:

http://ubyssey.ca/ne...-sigma-back345/

Archived