99 replies to this topic

#61 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

That's surprising. I'm in biz and I love it here. I chose it over Sauder. Within my first year I already had the opportunities to meet tons of big corporate professionals and network with some pretty successful people. Profs are fun and engaging and Beedie has so many events across every concentration along with tooons of other things such as case comps etc.

I'm really surprised haha. Guess people have different experiences. Hope it gets better for you!

PS. Beedie won academic school of the year at JDC West (prestigious case competition that schools across Western Canada compete at).

The profs have been good for business, outside of that is it quite hit or miss. Its my experience as a whole, not specifically beadie that's been the issue at SFU

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#62 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yeah there are times where it can kill time spent to studying, but it's pretty much up to the person if they want it to. The social activities are definitely out there... you'll be able to find some place to spend your time everyday in the greek system. Some people let it affect them, others realize they're at University for a reason: to get an education.

It's also not all partying, my resume has expanded immensely from all the philanthropy work we do.

Saw that link from the ubyssey, happy to see it work out for them :)

Yeah that's true. Honestly though, UBC as a whole provides so much opportunity to build that resume within the typical 4 years one stays there. Just curious, which frat are you in?
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#63 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

SFU needs more government funding.. UBC is getting tons and tons of support from the government but other universities like SFU and UVic aren't getting the support they need in order to increase their rankings in the university ranking system.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#64 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Yeah that's true. Honestly though, UBC as a whole provides so much opportunity to build that resume within the typical 4 years one stays there. Just curious, which frat are you in?

UBC definitely does, it's just a matter of which path you want to take to do it... I knew some guys in a fraternity already and knew the type of bond you build being in the greek system. I just felt like a good decision (still feel it's a good decision), but going greek for sure is not for everyone. I'd rather not say what fraternity I'm in :P

#65 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Just got an offer from UVic! Gonna keep this in my back pocket in case I screw up royally and don't get in to SFU or UBC. It feels good to have a safety net!
Posted Image

#66 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

University absolutely SUCKS during midterm season...

$&@*

#67 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

University absolutely SUCKS during midterm season...

$&@*

nothing compared to finals

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#68 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Finals are better. At least you have some time off between classes and the exams to prepare yourself.
Mid-terms are the worst, having 3 the same week at the same time you have 2 papers due for other classes and all the while you're expected to go to lectures and tutorials...Brutal...
Posted Image

#69 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Luckily for me, I haven't experienced having to write midterms and papers during the same week..

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#70 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

No. Finals you don't have class or any other assignments/labs. With midterms, everything happens at the same time.

#71 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

No. Finals you don't have class or any other assignments/labs. With midterms, everything happens at the same time.

This may be true, but on a whole, (at least at UBC) it smells a lot worse at school during Finals from people not going home to shower. bleh.

#72 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

What do UBC and SFU students have in common?

They both applied to UBC!

#73 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Fair enough, but while there may be less on your plate at the time, finals are a much bigger part of your grade and cover the whole class instead of the first few weeks.

Both situations suck though

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#74 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

False. I never applied to UBC because they don't have my faculty. Therefore, UBC sucks.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#75 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

False. I never applied to UBC because they don't have my faculty. Therefore, UBC sucks.

Same here. I'm happy doing my PhD within a department that is ranked highest within its field throughout all of Canada.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#76 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Has anybody heard anything about UBC wanting their self reported marks? They said early Feb after I finished my application.
Posted Image

#77 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Anyone get accepted to BCIT yet? I've been waiting and waiting... Self reported my grades to them right when my first term marks were out, no response.

Bump....
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#78 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Finals are better. At least you have some time off between classes and the exams to prepare yourself.
Mid-terms are the worst, having 3 the same week at the same time you have 2 papers due for other classes and all the while you're expected to go to lectures and tutorials...Brutal...

I had the worst final exam schedule last semester! 4 exams in 4 days and then a 5 day gap before writing my last exam on the last possible day and the last possible time slot before I could leave.

#79 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

I had the worst final exam schedule last semester! 4 exams in 4 days and then a 5 day gap before writing my last exam on the last possible day and the last possible time slot before I could leave.

I think if you have something like 3 finals in 2 days, you can apply to write the third on a different day. They're not trying to intentionally screw you over. Just ask your UGO.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#80 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

weak joke
besides where you do your undergrad hardly matters

#81 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

i would prefer that over the 4 exams in 2 days that I had last semester.... that did not go very well

#82 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think if you have something like 3 finals in 2 days, you can apply to write the third on a different day. They're not trying to intentionally screw you over. Just ask your UGO.

I'm not sure about other schools but at UBC it's 3 in 24 hours. It's also your second exam that gets changed.

rsz_avs.jpg

#83 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm not sure about other schools but at UBC it's 3 in 24 hours. It's also your second exam that gets changed.

Yup, it's also 3 in 24 hours at the University of Ottawa.

#84 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

i had the exams in 24.5 hours technically so I couldnt change it <_<

#85 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I got offered conditional acceptance to SFU a few days ago. Good luck again, everyone
Posted Image

#86 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

This may be the Sauder in me talking, but kiddos in highschool: If you're from Vancouver planning on going to the Eastern side of Canada for school, really think about it carefully. I got accepted to Sauder and the Richard Ivey School of Business at UWO, and I was 95% certain that I was moving to London Ontario. I had some great conversations with some intelligent people, and decided to stay here and attend Sauder.

Fact is, I have already created such a strong connection base here in Vancouver: why let go of this?
In London, I would have to start from scratch and create an entirely new network.

Nowadays, we're all going to get the same education, it's all about who you know that is going to land you that job.

Think about it carefully!
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#87 thelastguy

thelastguy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

An undergrad degree from SFU or UBC is worth about the same. I'm in the business program and chose Beedie over Sauder because they're Co op program is better, and their student endowment management program is larger. In terms of grad programs UBC is definitely better, but the schools in the East are still superior. So if you're planning to stay here it doesn't matter that much.

#88 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

An undergrad degree from SFU or UBC is worth about the same. I'm in the business program and chose Beedie over Sauder because they're Co op program is better, and their student endowment management program is larger. In terms of grad programs UBC is definitely better, but the schools in the East are still superior. So if you're planning to stay here it doesn't matter that much.

I completely agree with this except for engineering. UBC has way more options for it than SFU does. They both offer electrical, computer, fizz and biomedical (it's an electrical/computer option at UBC). SFU also has systems where UBC has civil, mechanical/mechatronics, geological, mining, chemical/biological, materials and integrated. Anyone who is unsure would be further ahead to pick UBC so they can leave all those doors open until the end of first year. On the other hand, if someone is totally sold on something SFU offers then I doubt it makes much of a difference.

rsz_avs.jpg

#89 Durian

Durian

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Has anybody heard anything about UBC wanting their self reported marks? They said early Feb after I finished my application.

I just received an email about this. The self reporting system will open on March 4th

Edited by Balls of Steel, 14 February 2013 - 07:35 PM.

hi wee trad bobbi luuuu 4 ryan clowne. we gett big depht wingelrs who can [****] kasasian up in fite an kill ben marchandt an duncen keiths we will win with gritti forward yes?

ok butt i already kno mark gillis he taek recomiendation from mee al time. i responsibel for his disisihun to draft sedin ok?

Posted Image

#90 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Goodluck to those on applying. I can help anyone with questions in regards to Kwantlen and/or general BC Nursing programs. Honestly, if you guys have an average of 86, you can get into anything. Uni's aren't looking for the 99 average anymore... They look at your extracurricular's, volunteer work, your personality etc...

Grades aren't everything, but don't neglect them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.