The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comprehensive list of trade destinations for Luongo.

I think realistically some players we should target are Matt Frattin and Dmitry Orlov. Both could help us next year and we could still get more onto of those 2.

With the cap coming down we will likely either have to trade a defenseman or some top 9 forwards go, in which case both Orlov and Frattin could come in handy.

Proposed deals:

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Andrew Ebbett

To Vancouver: Dmitry Orlov, Matt Perreault, Micheal Nuevirth, 1st Round Pick,

(Could maybe add another mid range prospect or a 3rd)

or

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver: Matt Frattin, Matt Finn, 1st

McGuire and co. speculating on Gillis being at the Wash/Pitts game:

• Not likely a casual scouting trip

• Van has two good goalies in play, very complimentary of Luongo's recent play with no negative talk

• Suggesting Wash prospects are a possible option, with Orlov, Kuznetsov and Forsberg mentioned specifically

• Oates under pressure

Okay so aside from Orlov (Who IMO could really help us, brings some of the qualities we lost with Ehrhoff going)

What else could we ask from Washington? We won't get a top guy (E.I Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wilson) But we could ask for secondary prospects.

Personally though I would want a 1st, as Washington doesn't seem to be afraid to trade 1st's, and since Washington got 2 highly sought after prospects in last years 1st round,. maybe they could see it as expendable for the right deal.

Then are we going to want Nuevirth in the deal? Or should we look elsewhere, and is Matt Perreault a consideration as a good depth guy (better than what we currently have) since he wants to go and has been a healthy scratch for them quite alot.

Any feedback?

I'm sorry, but you need to sell me on why NYI would be a viable trading partner. From the Canuck's perspective I can't see Luongo willing to go there, and from the Islanders perspective I can't see how that organization can afford his contract, or for that matter buyout Dipietro.

Just to further my point, here is Dipietro's buyout - It's 16 years with a 1.5m cap hit each year : http://www.capgeek.c...=06&buyout_d=15

In summing up while I like quite a few of your young hopefuls, trading Lu, maybe even as a package (and I don't agree with this move anyway) is probably one of the few chances to get something big, something this team really needs and I don't see any of these "futures" helping us in our SC quest with our window closing.

I feel our team is good but not a SC winning team. We might even struggle due to losing Lu. However where we do struggle is the attritional best of 7 format and it's effect on our relatively "light" players. We need to get bigger, meaner and acquire at least another 2 players who can dish it out as well as take it.

I was pleased when I saw that they were in WSH. I think if they're watching the game, then they're looking at roster players. I think simply by just being in WSH it puts the pressure on other potential trade partners to get a move on. I could see a deal happening quickly. :bigblush:

As everyone is now talking perfect world; here is mine

John Carlson

Michal Neuvirth

Marcus Johansson

for

Luongo and change (Possibly Higgins, if they prefer to get some help on offense)

+ relatively high pick 2nd or 3rd rounder (I'd add Ballard for obvious reasons, but no team would take on 10M+ in a trade like this)

Tough to asses what Washington would need in return, as they have more needs than we can fill. But what we would get would be solid. Plus in Higgins they would get a gifted player that is just not working out 100% in our system.

- Carlson, as I mentioned before, is a top pairing d-man and would be the cornerstone of the deal.

- Johansson can play both center and wing, something we desperately need. He is in many was similar to what they have in Nicklas Bäckström and I doubt they will give him up as easily as he is always up there on the board even without Ovie.

- Neuvirth would be the goalie coming back that Mike Gillis has to get anyways if he pulls off a Luongo -trade. I'd be happy with Holtby just as well, but I think they would hold on to Holtby over Neuvirth in the end. We might even have to pay a little more to get one of them, but boy would either of them make our tandem look good. Both goalies are still strong enough to 'challenge' for the starting role and keep the work ethic and motivation high for CS.

I think we might need to add something to my proposal to make it work, but I don't know what. You decide.

Getting confusing which of the two Luongo threads I'm posting in (the other one is even reasonable at the moment!)...

But Orlov is a pretty good consensus center piece, as would Kuznetsov be, but I'd guess they stick with Forsberg. A secondary prospect like Galiev and of course if they want to move back a goalie (likely Neuvirth) to us or a pick? Harder to speculate on this just yet as I don't jump at any of their roster players (apart from a goalie) that we could also afford. I'd need to knwo more about Johansson myself.

As everyone is now talking perfect world; here is mine

John Carlson

Michal Neuvirth

Marcus Johansson

for

Luongo and change (Possibly Higgins, if they prefer to get some help on offense)

+ relatively high pick 2nd or 3rd rounder (I'd add Ballard for obvious reasons, but no team would take on 10M+ in a trade like this)

Tough to asses what Washington would need in return, as they have more needs than we can fill. But what we would get would be solid. Plus in Higgins they would get a gifted player that is just not working out 100% in our system.

- Carlson, as I mentioned before, is a top pairing d-man and would be the cornerstone of the deal.

- Johansson can play both center and wing, something we desperately need. He is in many was similar to what they have in Nicklas Bäckström and I doubt they will give him up as easily as he is always up there on the board even without Ovie.

- Neuvirth would be the goalie coming back that Mike Gillis has to get anyways if he pulls off a Luongo -trade. I'd be happy with Holtby just as well, but I think they would hold on to Holtby over Neuvirth in the end. We might even have to pay a little more to get one of them, but boy would either of them make our tandem look good. Both goalies are still strong enough to 'challenge' for the starting role and keep the work ethic and motivation high for CS.

I think we might need to add something to my proposal to make it work, but I don't know what. You decide.

The ones that I bolded seem plausible. I don't want to risk getting Kuznetsov back, as he's indicated he wants to stay in the KHL, at least until after the 2014 Olympics. Alzner and Carlsson seem untouchable to me, while Laich has that ugly cap 4.5m hit for what he brings.

I like the optimism, but you're shooting the moon with this one. I think if it was ONE of Carlson/Johansson we would run away with that trade. As per the goalie coming back, that's a big question mark for me, as both are young and I'm not sure either would be ready for the kind of Vancouver pressure on goaltenders. WSH has also invested in these two, when they traded away Varlamov they indicated this was their tandem.

IMO I think Gillis should strongly target a package of Mike Green+. He would be exactly what our powerplay needs right now. Maybe Green, MoJo and Holtby for Luongo and Raymond?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Johansson - Schroeder - Higgins

Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Hamhuis - Green

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Bieksa

Schneider

Holtby

Then when Lack is healthy Holtby can be dealt for some extra depth.

One question and I'll say no more about it: how long will this thread last before the people that make the other thread useless are here, doing the same thing?

The only way this works is to report people getting off topic, or arguing among themselves, or resorting to personally attacking other posters, or trolling, or any of the other things we aren't supposed to do on these boards.

Then they go away, and we use the NEWS thread for actual news, and the DISCUSSION thread to discuss that news and everything that relates to that. Or we could just keep trying to do it all over again once this one goes to pot.

Archived