The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comprehensive list of trade destinations for Luongo.

------------------------

Before the mods try to lock or delete this, please consider this separate from the Luongo trade thread, as that thread has currently been hijacked by a pissing contest between King of ES and whoever tries to begin a discussion. This thread will instead explore the possible trade destinations and return from those destinations. Based on the originality of this post, I feel it is far from redundant. That being said, if this doesn't generate discussion feel free to delete it.

------------------------

Criteria used for trade destinations:

- Goaltending situation for that team

- GA at this point in the season

- Team record

- Possible return

- Willing to waive NTC?

All things considered, I've narrowed it down to a possible 7 teams for a Luongo trade. The teams are: ANH, EDM, FLA, SJ, TB, TOR, WAS. Please note that the players of interest for each team are projected centrepieces of the deal, each list would have a single player we could acquire, not the entirety of the list.

Let’s begin with the Western Conference:

Western Conference:

Anaheim:

Jonas Hiller hasn't been the same since the concussion he suffered in the 2011 all star game. His SV% has decreased incrementally while his GAA has shot up dramatically. Behind Hiller is rookie goaltender Victor Fasth, who so far has looked good in his 2 NHL games, posting 2 wins. Given the decline of Hiller and the lack of experience of Fasth, I feel Anaheim could be a possible trade destination.

Players of interest:

Rickard Rakell © - 19 y/o, made the team out of camp. 2-way Swedish centre, noticeable at WJHC. 1st round behind Jensen 2011.

Luca Sbisa (D) – 23 y/o defenseman – 24 points (5 g 19 a) for the Ducks last season. 6’2” 205 lbs. 1st rounder 2008.

Emmerson Etem (RW) – 20 y/o, one of few Californian born players in the NHL. He put up 107 points (61 G 46 A) for Medicine Hat last season. 1st rounder 2010.

Perry/Getzlaf as pending FAs, could possibly be moved.

Edmonton:

The only thing this team is missing is a decent goaltender to put them in the playoffs. Scoring is not a problem for the oilers right now, and given their depth of young forwards I think Edmonton as a trade destination could be viable for both teams. Luongo could be willing to waive to go to this young and upcoming team.

Players of interest:

Magnus Paajarvi (F) – The stock on this kid has been a rollercoaster ride since putting up 34 points ( 15 G 19 A) in 2010-11. He’s a big 21 y/o at 6’3” 205. 1st rounder 2009

Teemu Hartikainen (LW) - Made the oilers out of camp. He reminds me of Jussi Jokinen, he hits and is money in the shootout.

Sam Gagner © – his 8 points put him 2nd on the team for scoring. He’s frequently rumoured to be on the trading block, he’s also a consistent 40 point getter. 1st rounder 2007.

Additional players:

Jeff Petry (D) – put up 25 points last year for the Oilers. A big 6’3” right handed D-man this team could use.

San Jose:

Niemi has been solid for SJ in net, though he is far from an elite goaltender. With Luongo the Sharks are not only contenders but favourites. In that respect we would have to demand more out of the trade. I believe Luongo would be willing to waive to go to SJ.

Players of interest:

Tomas Hertl (F) – Taken 17th overall this past year, he’s been competing against men in the Czech league, and putting up points. He’s 6’2” 196 lbs. Known for his offense; he led the Czechs in points at the 2013 WJHC.

Joe Pavelski © – Dominant 2 way centre, and perennial 60 point getter. With the signing of Gomez, while already having Thornton and Couture SJ can afford to deal a centre.

Additional players:

Nick Petrecki (D) – Big (6’3” 225) shut down D-man. 1st rounder in 2007, he just cracked the NHL this year.

Matt Nieto (LW) – Playing in the NCAA right now, taken 2nd round 2011.

Eastern Conference:

Florida:

The Panthers have been dismal in net this season, with a GA of 27. With only 2 wins on the season, the combination of Theodore/Clemmensen can’t last for long. Markstrom is still in the system, though it appears he is not ready for primetime. With Theodore and Clemmensen both approaching retirement, Florida will need goaltending in the interim. The only issue with dealing with Florida is of course the cap space issue, and the need to dump bad contracts in Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc. Florida has a wealth of top prospects and young talent, a trade between these two teams makes the most sense.

Players of interest:

Nick Bjugstad © – Big 6’5” 212 lb centre, currently playing in the NCAA where he led the league in goals (25) last season. 1st rounder 2010.

Vincent Trocheck © – 69 points in 44 games this year in the OHL. He’s a bit undersized at 5’10”.

Alex Petrovic (D) – despite the last name, he’s a good Canadian kid. He’s 6’4” 201 lbs, known for his mean streak and physicality. He’s posted 15 points and 73 PIMs so far in his first AHL season.

Drew Shore © – The 6’2” 195lb centre made the Panthers out of camp. He’s known for his 2-way play.

Stephen Weiss © – Though currently injured, Weiss is a top line forward for Florida. He’s hit 60 points 3 times in his career, while posting 57 points last year. He’s set to become an UFA at the end of the shortened season.

Colby Robak (D) – He’s a big boy at 6’3” 194, he’s put up 18 points this year for the SA Rampage, and 39 points while being a +15 last in 73 games last year. He’s known for his WHL dominance with 66 points as a defenseman in 2010.

Quiton Howden (LW) – The pick we would have had in 2010, had we not traded for Ballard. He’s currently playing his 1st AHL season, posting 19 points so far in 41 games. He was called up after Weiss went down with injury.

Tampa Bay:

The Lightning are currently on a bit of a streak, going 6-1 to start the season, and winning 5 straight. They’ve been winning with their typical run and gun offensive style, scoring 37 goals for the most in the league. They of course have a question mark in net, with Anders Lindback having only played 44 games in the NHL. This team could become a legitimate contender with the acquisition of Luongo.

Players of interest:

Slater Koekkoek (D) – The highly touted defenseman went 10th overall at last years draft. He’s a mobile defenseman, putting up 28 points in 40 games in the OHL so far this season. He’s currently captain of the Peterborough Petes.

Brett Connolly (RW) – 6th overall in 2010, the 6’2” 200 lb forward has been a force in the AHL this season. Last season, he played the full season with the lighning , but has since been relegated to the AHL.

Teddy Purcell (F) – Put up 65 points (24 G 41 A) last year, and has 9 points (2 G 7A) so far this year. He’s big at 6’3”, the only negative is of course his new 4.5m contract which kicks in next year.

Toronto:

As usual the Leafs have had horrible goaltending in the tandem of Reimer/Scrivens. They are a team with a lot of younger players, make a trade possible. If Nonis likes his job, then its playoffs or bust, something Luongo could almost guarantee. The question is of course, would Luongo be willing to waive his NTC to go to Toronto?

Players of interest:

Nazem Kadri © – The young centre has looked good so far for the Leafs this season, registering 7 points (3 G 4 A) in 7 games. He was taken 7th overall in 2009, and has been point per game in every league since.

Matt Frattin (RW) – He’s been a stud since being called up from the Marlies. He’s potted 6 points (4 G, 2 A) since rejoining the Leafs.

Cody Franson (D) –A big 6’5” right handed D-man. He’s steady on the backend and able to pot some points. His best season was with the Predators in 2010/11 where he put up 29 points (8 G 21 A) while being a +10.

Tyler Bozak © – Bozak potted 47 points last year, and has been the Leafs top line centre this season. He’s set to become a UFA at the end of this season.

Washington:

The Caps are questionable in net, with Neuvrith and Holtby both lacking experience. The Caps are tied with the Panthers for the worst GA in the league, with 27 in 8 games. If the Capitals have any hope of making the playoffs, they either have to start scoring or figure out their woes in net. Luongo could of curse help with the latter.

Players of interest:

Marcus Johansson © – Mojo for short, potted 46 points (14 G 32 A) last season, but has struggled to find the score sheet this year.

Filip Forsberg (LW/C) – The top ranked European prospect at last year’s draft went 11th overall. He’s playing against men and partial NHLers in the SEL this season, where he has put up 28 points (13 G, 15 A) in 30 games.

Tom Wilson (RW) – He’s a big 6’4” 209lb forward, taken 16th overall in 2012. He’s known for his physicality and mean streak. He’s currently point per game in the OHL.

John Carlsson (D) – 6’3” 212lb right hand D-man. He’s solid on the back end, while contributing offensively with more than 30 points in each of the last 2 seasons.

I don't think Anaheim is in the running at all, they will likely stick with Hiller (Who is capable) Until John Gibson is ready, they can't take on Luongo and hold him down like that. Gibson is too talented.

San Jose isn't in the running right now, Pavelski is like 3rd in scoring or something, he's a big piece of that line, and won't go anywhere, not to mention Niemi has played fine, he might not be elite but he has shown thus-far he is plenty capable of being a starter on that team as they are probably the best team in the league right now.

Also don't think Tampa Bay is either, Lindback has played great for them, they gave up quite a bit to get him (for an unproven guy) and are going to give him a long long look before looking elsewhere and so far he has given them no reason to look else where.

Aside from that I agree everyone else is in the running. Although I do have a few critiques.

- I don't think Edmonton is likely, as I don't think we will trade him there for those pieces and they won't give up anything better really.

- Then from some of the teams I think there are other targets and I think some of your listed targets may not be acquirable.

Aside from that I like the thread as you put alot of work into it. Good job Ossi, I'm hoping they keep it open aswell.

I think it would be very difficult for Mike Gillis to move Luongo to Edmonton. Keeping an elite, number 1 goalie inside your division would be a mistake, especially considering how good the rest of the Oiler team is looking. Also it is very likely when/if the NHL introduces new divisions to compensate for Winnipeg joining the league, Edmonton will for sure still be stuck with us and would be a nasty headache down the road. No doubt Gillis could get some quality pieces back, but I don't see if happening.

EDIT: I think the most likely destination at this point is Washington. McPhee will be under pressure from ownership to win. After a couple of poor playoff performances, Washington might be a little quicker to pull a trigger to help them win now. The current goalie tandem isnt the most expirenced and could use a veteran goalie. Also they have a few young peices the Canucks would be interested in.

I don't think Anaheim is in the running at all, they will likely stick with Hiller (Who is capable) Until John Gibson is ready, they can't take on Luongo and hold him down like that. Gibson is too talented.

San Jose isn't in the running right now, Pavelski is like 3rd in scoring or something, he's a big piece of that line, and won't go anywhere, not to mention Niemi has played fine, he might not be elite but he has shown thus-far he is plenty capable of being a starter on that team as they are probably the best team in the league right now.

Also don't think Tampa Bay is either, Lindback has played great for them, they gave up quite a bit to get him (for an unproven guy) and are going to give him a long long look before looking elsewhere and so far he has given them no reason to look else where.

Aside from that I agree everyone else is in the running. Although I do have a few critiques.

- I don't think Edmonton is likely, as I don't think we will trade him there for those pieces and they won't give up anything better really.

- Then from some of the teams I think there are other targets and I think some of your listed targets may not be acquirable.

Aside from that I like the thread as you put alot of work into it. Good job Ossi, I'm hoping they keep it open aswell.

------------------------

Before the mods try to lock or delete this, please consider this separate from the Luongo trade thread, as that thread has currently been hijacked by a pissing contest between King of ES and whoever tries to begin a discussion. This thread will instead explore the possible trade destinations and return from those destinations. Based on the originality of this post, I feel it is far from redundant. That being said, if this doesn't generate discussion feel free to delete it.

------------------------

Criteria used for trade destinations:

- Goaltending situation for that team

- GA at this point in the season

- Team record

- Possible return

- Willing to waive NTC?

All things considered, I've narrowed it down to a possible 7 teams for a Luongo trade. The teams are: ANH, EDM, FLA, SJ, TB, TOR, WAS. Please note that the players of interest for each team are projected centrepieces of the deal, each list would have a single player we could acquire, not the entirety of the list.

Let’s begin with the Western Conference:

Western Conference:

Anaheim:

Jonas Hiller hasn't been the same since the concussion he suffered in the 2011 all star game. His SV% has decreased incrementally while his GAA has shot up dramatically. Behind Hiller is rookie goaltender Victor Fasth, who so far has looked good in his 2 NHL games, posting 2 wins. Given the decline of Hiller and the lack of experience of Fasth, I feel Anaheim could be a possible trade destination.

Players of interest:

Rickard Rakell © - 19 y/o, made the team out of camp. 2-way Swedish centre, noticeable at WJHC. 1st round behind Jensen 2011.

Luca Sbisa (D) – 23 y/o defenseman – 24 points (5 g 19 a) for the Ducks last season. 6’2” 205 lbs. 1st rounder 2008.

Emmerson Etem (RW) – 20 y/o, one of few Californian born players in the NHL. He put up 107 points (61 G 46 A) for Medicine Hat last season. 1st rounder 2010.

Perry/Getzlaf as pending FAs, could possibly be moved.

Edmonton:

The only thing this team is missing is a decent goaltender to put them in the playoffs. Scoring is not a problem for the oilers right now, and given their depth of young forwards I think Edmonton as a trade destination could be viable for both teams. Luongo could be willing to waive to go to this young and upcoming team.

Players of interest:

Magnus Paajarvi (F) – The stock on this kid has been a rollercoaster ride since putting up 34 points ( 15 G 19 A) in 2010-11. He’s a big 21 y/o at 6’3” 205. 1st rounder 2009

Teemu Hartikainen (LW) - Made the oilers out of camp. He reminds me of Jussi Jokinen, he hits and is money in the shootout.

Sam Gagner © – his 8 points put him 2nd on the team for scoring. He’s frequently rumoured to be on the trading block, he’s also a consistent 40 point getter. 1st rounder 2007.

Additional players:

Jeff Petry (D) – put up 25 points last year for the Oilers. A big 6’3” right handed D-man this team could use.

San Jose:

Niemi has been solid for SJ in net, though he is far from an elite goaltender. With Luongo the Sharks are not only contenders but favourites. In that respect we would have to demand more out of the trade. I believe Luongo would be willing to waive to go to SJ.

Players of interest:

Tomas Hertl (F) – Taken 17th overall this past year, he’s been competing against men in the Czech league, and putting up points. He’s 6’2” 196 lbs. Known for his offense; he led the Czechs in points at the 2013 WJHC.

Joe Pavelski © – Dominant 2 way centre, and perennial 60 point getter. With the signing of Gomez, while already having Thornton and Couture SJ can afford to deal a centre.

Additional players:

Nick Petrecki (D) – Big (6’3” 225) shut down D-man. 1st rounder in 2007, he just cracked the NHL this year.

Matt Nieto (LW) – Playing in the NCAA right now, taken 2nd round 2011.

Eastern Conference:

Florida:

The Panthers have been dismal in net this season, with a GA of 27. With only 2 wins on the season, the combination of Theodore/Clemmensen can’t last for long. Markstrom is still in the system, though it appears he is not ready for primetime. With Theodore and Clemmensen both approaching retirement, Florida will need goaltending in the interim. The only issue with dealing with Florida is of course the cap space issue, and the need to dump bad contracts in Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc. Florida has a wealth of top prospects and young talent, a trade between these two teams makes the most sense.

Players of interest:

Nick Bjugstad © – Big 6’5” 212 lb centre, currently playing in the NCAA where he led the league in goals (25) last season. 1st rounder 2010.

Vincent Trocheck © – 69 points in 44 games this year in the OHL. He’s a bit undersized at 5’10”.

Alex Petrovic (D) – despite the last name, he’s a good Canadian kid. He’s 6’4” 201 lbs, known for his mean streak and physicality. He’s posted 15 points and 73 PIMs so far in his first AHL season.

Drew Shore © – The 6’2” 195lb centre made the Panthers out of camp. He’s known for his 2-way play.

Stephen Weiss © – Though currently injured, Weiss is a top line forward for Florida. He’s hit 60 points 3 times in his career, while posting 57 points last year. He’s set to become an UFA at the end of the shortened season.

Colby Robak (D) – He’s a big boy at 6’3” 194, he’s put up 18 points this year for the SA Rampage, and 39 points while being a +15 last in 73 games last year. He’s known for his WHL dominance with 66 points as a defenseman in 2010.

Quiton Howden (LW) – The pick we would have had in 2010, had we not traded for Ballard. He’s currently playing his 1st AHL season, posting 19 points so far in 41 games. He was called up after Weiss went down with injury.

Tampa Bay:

The Lightning are currently on a bit of a streak, going 6-1 to start the season, and winning 5 straight. They’ve been winning with their typical run and gun offensive style, scoring 37 goals for the most in the league. They of course have a question mark in net, with Anders Lindback having only played 44 games in the NHL. This team could become a legitimate contender with the acquisition of Luongo.

Players of interest:

Slater Koekkoek (D) – The highly touted defenseman went 10th overall at last years draft. He’s a mobile defenseman, putting up 28 points in 40 games in the OHL so far this season. He’s currently captain of the Peterborough Petes.

Brett Connolly (RW) – 6th overall in 2010, the 6’2” 200 lb forward has been a force in the AHL this season. Last season, he played the full season with the lighning , but has since been relegated to the AHL.

Teddy Purcell (F) – Put up 65 points (24 G 41 A) last year, and has 9 points (2 G 7A) so far this year. He’s big at 6’3”, the only negative is of course his new 4.5m contract which kicks in next year.

Toronto:

As usual the Leafs have had horrible goaltending in the tandem of Reimer/Scrivens. They are a team with a lot of younger players, make a trade possible. If Nonis likes his job, then its playoffs or bust, something Luongo could almost guarantee. The question is of course, would Luongo be willing to waive his NTC to go to Toronto?

Players of interest:

Nazem Kadri © – The young centre has looked good so far for the Leafs this season, registering 7 points (3 G 4 A) in 7 games. He was taken 7th overall in 2009, and has been point per game in every league since.

Matt Frattin (RW) – He’s been a stud since being called up from the Marlies. He’s potted 6 points (4 G, 2 A) since rejoining the Leafs.

Cody Franson (D) –A big 6’5” right handed D-man. He’s steady on the backend and able to pot some points. His best season was with the Predators in 2010/11 where he put up 29 points (8 G 21 A) while being a +10.

Tyler Bozak © – Bozak potted 47 points last year, and has been the Leafs top line centre this season. He’s set to become a UFA at the end of this season.

Washington:

The Caps are questionable in net, with Neuvrith and Holtby both lacking experience. The Caps are tied with the Panthers for the worst GA in the league, with 27 in 8 games. If the Capitals have any hope of making the playoffs, they either have to start scoring or figure out their woes in net. Luongo could of curse help with the latter.

Players of interest:

Marcus Johansson © – Mojo for short, potted 46 points (14 G 32 A) last season, but has struggled to find the score sheet this year.

Filip Forsberg (LW/C) – The top ranked European prospect at last year’s draft went 11th overall. He’s playing against men and partial NHLers in the SEL this season, where he has put up 28 points (13 G, 15 A) in 30 games.

Tom Wilson (RW) – He’s a big 6’4” 209lb forward, taken 16th overall in 2012. He’s known for his physicality and mean streak. He’s currently point per game in the OHL.

John Carlsson (D) – 6’3” 212lb right hand D-man. He’s solid on the back end, while contributing offensively with more than 30 points in each of the last 2 seasons.

One team I could see being a darkhorse candidate (IF Luongo would ever agree to go there) is the NY Islanders. Their goaltending situation has been cloudy for years and Nabokov is getting old. They dont have any real blue chip goaltending prospects on the way and Rick Dipietro could be bought out this summer.

Garth Snow and Charles Wang have made some real head scratcher and unexpected decisions over the years and I wouldnt surprise me one bit if they make a play to reaquire Luo.

They have plenty of young prospects in place for the future who will only get better.

Tons of assets to trade too:

Nino Niederreiter (LW/RW) - Has already requested a trade. Is a young big power forward

Josh Bailey © - Former high draft pick hasnt turned out as expected. Drafted before Hodgson.

Kyle Okposo (LW/RW) - Fairly young power forward. Has had moderate success in NHL already. ONce projected to be the next Jarome Iginla. Solid physical player would fit in well on our 2nd line.

Matt Martin - (W) - Very solid 3rd or 4th line banger. Has led league in hits before. Has some offensive ability for a bottom 6 forward.

Travis Hamonic (D) - This ones a stretch. I doubt he'd be available but a big, young, physical D-man who would look great on our team for years.

I would add New Jersey in there as MG said it's a team that nobody thinks were talking to.

Brodeur and Hedberg are both 40 years old and UFA this summer, I could see both of them retiring. That leaves a huge hole to fill.

Lamoriello has shown he's not afraid of long term contracts (Kovy+Zajac).

Henrique or Larsson would be players we'd be intrested in.

Thanks.

I tried to make the list as big as possible, to keep the optimism going for the # of teams we could deal with. You're right though, there is probably only 3 that could really deal with us, in terms of our needs, contracts and cap dollars. Those of course being, Toronto, Florida and Washington. I like some of the other potential returns more though, and if TB goes on a skid I could see them willing to trade some of their very deep offensive unit.

I agree that Philly is likely content with their goaltending for now. But that could change. If they have a disappointing season, and Bryzgalov is anything but great, I think they will consider buying him out. At which point Luongo becomes appealing.

Philly has a bunch of attractive pieces, including both emerging stars and established players. Voracek, Hartnell, Brayden Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier and Read are guys that would make the Canucks better. They also have a good group of defensemen, but I don't think they'd wanna trade one unless Pronger returns.

One team I could see being a darkhorse candidate (IF Luongo would ever agree to go there) is the NY Islanders. Their goaltending situation has been cloudy for years and Nabokov is getting old. They dont have any real blue chip goaltending prospects on the way and Rick Dipietro could be bought out this summer.

Garth Snow and Charles Wang have made some real head scratcher and unexpected decisions over the years and I wouldnt surprise me one bit if they make a play to reaquire Luo.

They have plenty of young prospects in place for the future who will only get better.

Tons of assets to trade too:

Nino Niederreiter (LW/RW) - Has already requested a trade. Is a young big power forward

Josh Bailey © - Former high draft pick hasnt turned out as expected. Drafted before Hodgson.

Kyle Okposo (LW/RW) - Fairly young power forward. Has had moderate success in NHL already. ONce projected to be the next Jarome Iginla. Solid physical player would fit in well on our 2nd line.

Matt Martin - (W) - Very solid 3rd or 4th line banger. Has led league in hits before. Has some offensive ability for a bottom 6 forward.

Travis Hamonic (D) - This ones a stretch. I doubt he'd be available but a big, young, physical D-man who would look great on our team for years.

Archived