Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Comprehensive list of trade destinations for Luongo.

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

If Bob Mackenzie says Washington isn't interested in Luongo, they aren't. And in one of his tweets I'm pretty sure George McPhee himself said he can't take on Lu's contract.

so then they are going after Schneider :) just teasing.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#122 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Luongo for Ovechkin?

Ovechkin is struggling. The Caps have 2 wins. They need a change

Throw in Raymond and a pick, and maybe wash will look at it

Posted Image

#123 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I disagree, I don't think Ballard is getting easier minutes, I think they were playing just as important minutes, and handling them alot better than Bieksa was.

The reasoning is, now that Edler can play the right side with Hamhuis, we don't need him on the top pair, and Tanev and Ballard are perfectly capable of playing top 4 minutes. Bieksa would yield us far more in return aswell.

This is if Bieksa continues to be inconsistent and Ballard and Tanev continue to play lights out, then we can get a nice return and move forward with a top 4 built around:

Hamhuis - Edler
Ballard - Tanev
Garrison - ?

But if we trade Luongo and don't take cap back, like say we get young players like Johansson for example, we can then let 2 of Raymond/Higgins/Lappierre go, hold onto our 5 big money Dmen and slot the younger guys in, I have looked on it on cap geek and if we don't take money or much money back for Lu, there is a way we can keep all of our very important players.

Here's the shorthand of a post I made in the "Ballard has been screwed by AV" thread:

Here's the icetime so far this year (1-6):
Edler 23:39
Hamhuis 22:46
Garrison 22:20
Bieksa 22:04
Ballard 17:24
Tanev 16:47
Here's the quality of competition they've been facing:
Garrison +1.9
Edler +1.6
Bieksa +1.4
Hamhuis +1.0
Ballard -0.3
Tanev -0.6

The top 4 is getting the tough minutes, while Ballard and Tanev are getting the easy minutes. It's only so easy to spread that around, so the top 4 still gets more time, but the 3rd pairing is getting opportunities like when they got put on the PP. So long as they don't drop the ball when they get chances, they'll keep getting chances.

He's gotten nearly 2 minutes more than he was getting last year, but the quality of competition is still pretty low. That's by design just like when Hodgson was getting showcased prior to the trade last year. Not saying they're doing this to trade him, but it's certainly helping that he and Tanev get easier minutes that the other pairings.

You can also see Bieksa's getting tougher minutes but has about a minute less TOI per game. He's still going to help us more offensively and at least be similar (but more likely better) defensively so I'd much rather keep him that Ballard, especially since he's our top RH shot.

It'd be nice to maximize some return that way and allow us to get better without selling off in other areas, but I don't think it makes as much sense as the alternative, at least without a significant replacement. Edler's been so so on the right in the past as well as this year and Tanev hasn't found his offensive game to be given a top 4 spot yet.

Our biggest return without major changes to our roster still comes from a goalie trade.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#124 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Here's the shorthand of a post I made in the "Ballard has been screwed by AV" thread:

He's gotten nearly 2 minutes more than he was getting last year, but the quality of competition is still pretty low. That's by design just like when Hodgson was getting showcased prior to the trade last year. Not saying they're doing this to trade him, but it's certainly helping that he and Tanev get easier minutes that the other pairings.

You can also see Bieksa's getting tougher minutes but has about a minute less TOI per game. He's still going to help us more offensively and at least be similar (but more likely better) defensively so I'd much rather keep him that Ballard, especially since he's our top RH shot.

It'd be nice to maximize some return that way and allow us to get better without selling off in other areas, but I don't think it makes as much sense as the alternative, at least without a significant replacement. Edler's been so so on the right in the past as well as this year and Tanev hasn't found his offensive game to be given a top 4 spot yet.

Our biggest return without major changes to our roster still comes from a goalie trade.

How did you come up with that stat to tell quality of competition?

Here's the thing with Bieksa, sometimes he is better than Ballard, alot of the times he isn't. He is crazy inconsistent. He has had 1 solid consistent season, the rest haven't been. Ballard has been playing better than him, I don't think quality of competition (if that stat is correct) is really a factor in anything, Bieksa is just making more bad plays, Ballard is making better plays. Lines have been rolled and the game moves fast, both have played against good opposition, after all this is the NHL. Bieksa has been getting better, but my point is, if Ballard continues to play like this and Bieksa can't establish consistency and goes back to his inconsistent ways. it is something we should really consider, as Bieksa has been playing less consistent and is worth alot more.

And Tanev doesn't need to bring a ton of offense to play in the top 4, I would rather have simple, all-round reliable guys than risky offensive guys anyways. (not saying Bieksa is strictly offensive) and there are alot of defense first players in the top 4 around the league, so I'm not too worried about that.

zackass.png

#125 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

We'll agree to disagree on Ballard vs Bieksa before we derail this from the Luongo discussion, but the second set of numbers is Corsi QoC, from the player stats at BehindTheNet.ca. I don't remember if you're familiar with advanced stat or not, so it's basically a rating of the Corsi of the opposition they face on the ice, and lower means less effective possession players. Here's the link to the results I posted, sorted by Corsi On-Ice but Corsi QoC is also available.

Edited by elvis15, 04 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.