The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Counterfeit Jersey Epidemic

MGR4B

What a terrific and typically Canuck thing to do; charge the highest ticket price in the league, ban people from bringing in decent cameras and then run around confiscating "illegal" jerseys that deprive the team of even more revenue. Brilliant! That'll show the fans how much the team regrets the lockout etc. and shows them just how much the team appreciates their being at the game. Next up: ban opposition team jerseys. If the patron refuses to remove his or her, say, Bruins jersey they get kicked out of the game. Maybe throw them down a stairwell or something. If someone is foolish enough to make a homemade jersey they could sue them for copyright infringement, perhaps for the full retail price of an "official" jersey. Think of the potential revenue streams. Sheesh.

Exactly!! Is the OP serious?? Jersey cops...just what we need, not just Jersey Cops but Licensed Jersey Cops. Maybe you should quit your job at the jersey store and get the job you were destined for as a dog catcher or a meter maid or something. After everything the NHL and the NHLPA has put its fans through in the past year I could really not give one sh*t about the fact that the Canucks may or may not be getting there cut of the jersey I just bought.

$129 + tax from Sport Chek. $70 on craigslist for a real second hand one. I love the fit of my real jersey. Fakes look absolutely ridiculous. Canucks do tons of PR and give away lots of t-shirts/scarves/hats. If you want to support your team go to a free event and get one. Don't rock a hideous counterfeit uni. Look at yourself in a picture with a friend who is wearing a legit one. It's atrocious.

Was more of a response to the first quote there. And it does not cost close to $300 for a licensed Canucks jersey. With a name on the back maybe $200, without $110.

If you have no money and can't afford to go to the games or to have a real jersey that's fine, obviously that shouldn't bother anyone. What I have a problem understanding is why people who spend so much money on tickets go and buy counterfeit jerseys for $30. It does nothing for anyone except provide money to an illegal operation and make you look cheap and/or stupid.

I HATE fakes as well, they look so brutal.

For all the fake NHL, NFL, NBA etc jerseys floating around I find it hilarious that these fake Canucks ones look so horrible. Some of them look pretty good, however for whatever reason they cannot replicate the shoulder patches accurately.

If they looked the part I wouldnt have a problem, but they look so cheap and ugly.

lol you've got some pretty messed up views on counter fitting-(policestate crap aside lol), as long as the guy whos buying it knows its a fake there's no problem, people can wear whatever they want. thats the pure capitalist model in a free and prosperous society, competing with the fakes. thats whats best for consumers. when business's lobby governments for laws and enforcement to protect their logos and products, consumers lose(usually via higher prices, fewer options,etc). at the cost of millions to the public in enforcement, so mr. aquilini and the nhl can bring in another million or two. cry me a river. 95% of the louis vutton stuff you see on the streets is fake, anybody care? nope. does louis vutton care? they might have for a while, certainly not now. its just free marketing cause everybodys got one but every once in a while, like that majestic unicorn, someone comes along with a real one and everybody stops, and gawks, like they've just seen god. but thats their model and why they sell at 5000% markup

if you work at a jersey store you should have some idea of the markup invovled on jerseys or all retail really(min50%) and thats after they've bought it from the canucks/nhl who sold it to them at (60%+cost ) who bought it from reebok who did the same thing and ordered them from some factory in china that sold it to them for like $8/unit and made it for $4.

imitation is the highest form of flattery. be happy they've got the colours on. don't be such a good little consumer, make them work for your money dont just blindly hand it to them. we can all spot the fakes and some look pretty bad lol, but its not your call, the guy who bought it made that decision. ive got an authenic game jersey, it was like $300 from the canucks. my dads got a $40 nockoff flying skate luongo jersey, it actually looks pretty good. and who cares if its not authenic it was $40

knock-offs make me mad too. I've seen some good ones and I've seen some really bad ones, but Im not going to hate on a person for wearing it, thats their choice..I just wish the counterfeiters did a better job so it didn't make the buyer look stupid. To me if you buy a really bad looking knockoff you deserve a bit of ridicule

So I guess you tolerate it, if you don't want to support the Canucks thats fine, don't leave and go hustle fake jerseys at the night markets or something.

I guess what your supporting is "if you can't afford it you should steal it".

What happened to if you want something you work hard and save instead of stealing what you want. I hope you pass on your good moral values to those around you.

I hope somebody steals from you, then see how you feel.

I can see both sides. Some people just might not know they have a fake jersey, it might have been a gift, they might not be able to afford a real one.

I have a fake jersey (Didn't know it was when I got it. A friend got a few online, and I got one too) and wore it to my first game, because that was all I had. I just bought a real one the other week for 130 bucks. It's not that much money to me, but to some people it is. The real ones look WAY better, but that doesn't matter to some people.

There's a lot of variables in this.

I have about 150 jerseys in my collection and the criteria is pretty stiff. Ideally I want not just a legit jersey but a GAME WORN one (I have at least a dozen from around the world). Failing that I want a legit one but for truly hard to find stuff I don't care if it's a "fake" or not. However there sure seems to be a lot of people with a bee in their bonnet about "stealing" from multi- billionaires so I will ask this one question that I request an honest answer to: have any of the whiners here ever downloaded music from the internet without paying for it? Who needs the money more, Aquilini or your local struggling musician? (For the record I ALWAYS buy the CD if I like even one song on the album). I'm betting that once again there are dozens of total hypocrites posting here.

I own two jerseys I have an old 93/94 black skate jersey that I got for Christmas when I was kid so I have no idea if its Legit or not. My parents bought it from the local sport shop so I would hope its legit. The other jeresy I bought from the Team outlet store because it was on sale and I am poor. I figured it would be legit because even if the outlet store is an outlet store it is still an official Canucks Team Store. I actually buy a lot of my Canucks stuff from them since like I said I am poor and I feel that its okay to buy from them instead of the Rogers arena store since I know I am not buying fakes.

The whole point of this story is that I think if people are able to make it to the team stores, and want to buy a jersey or a t-shirt or something but buy fakes cause legit stuff is too expensive just buy stuff at the outlet store they have a lot of good deals.

Fake jerseys are a disgrace. Stay in for a weekend or two and save up for a legit Replica/Authentic jersey. I would rather see somebody in a Canucks t shirt than those disgusting excuses for a Canucks jersey. If you know what to look for, you can get a legit Replica or even an Authentic for under $100. Replicas you can come across for around $20 if you're looking in the right places at the right times.

Hell, I just got a Salo game worn for $220 from the Canucks Team Store. The deals are out there.

Archived