The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Counterfeit Jersey Epidemic

MGR4B

One of the problems is that there are so many different levels of licensed jerseys. Authentic Pro, Authentic Retail, Semi-Pro, NHLPA Pro, Semi-Pro Press. The easiest way to avoid buying a fake is to buy one from a local store.

Fake Canucks jerseys are one of the easiest to spot, whoever makes these jerseys have trouble with lettering and since VANCOUVER is on the front it's usually the first thing you'll notice. On the rink jersey's I have yet to see a fake where they used the new rink logo instead of the old as someone in this thread already mentioned.

One of the problems is that there are so many different levels of licensed jerseys. Authentic Pro, Authentic Retail, Semi-Pro, NHLPA Pro, Semi-Pro Press. The easiest way to avoid buying a fake is to buy one from a local store.

Fake Canucks jerseys are one of the easiest to spot, whoever makes these jerseys have trouble with lettering and since VANCOUVER is on the front it's usually the first thing you'll notice. On the rink jersey's I have yet to see a fake where they used the new rink logo instead of the old as someone in this thread already mentioned.

I think the solution could be to offer a grace period of 30 days where you can turn in your fake jersey for some sort of discount on a replacement and licensed jersey. After the 30 days anyone found wearing a counterfeit jersey inside of Rogers Arena will be asked to remove the jersey or be removed from the arena. After all it is illegal that these are being made, I'm not a legal expert by any means but you'd think they would be legally able to at least confiscate the item in question.

I don't think anyone buys a jersey not knowing it's fake because its pretty obviouse: The logos on the shoulders are made out of thread, the lettering is moree bubbly looking, the stiching fatter, etc. I don't think it's illegal either is it? I mean they make it out of diffrent colours of blue and green, and the reebok logo isnt the exact same so it's not copyright or im sure Reebok would have sued by now. However I do disagree with fakes.

As long as jerseys are ridiculously expensive, therefore far too expensive for most people to buy, then the knock-off market will thrive. Pure and simple. There is a small percentage of Canucks fans who make it their financial priority to have the authentic gear. If that works for them, then that's great. However for the vast majority of Canucks fans, tickets and authentic gear will never be in their financial reality. Canucks fans with families to feed, mortgages to pay, car loans, etc., etc., will never have the extra cash to buy tickets or real gear. So when you start criticizing people for buying the knock-offs, remember that many of them simply can't afford the real thing. I'm not supporting knock-off gear, but I understand why people buy it. It's insane to pay $150+ for a sports jersey. Never will I pay that kind of money for a jersey - even if I had it. I've got much better things to do with my money. I watch the games at home on TV, wearing my authentic Canucks t-shirt (bought on sale).

What a terrific and typically Canuck thing to do; charge the highest ticket price in the league, ban people from bringing in decent cameras and then run around confiscating "illegal" jerseys that deprive the team of even more revenue. Brilliant! That'll show the fans how much the team regrets the lockout etc. and shows them just how much the team appreciates their being at the game. Next up: ban opposition team jerseys. If the patron refuses to remove his or her, say, Bruins jersey they get kicked out of the game. Maybe throw them down a stairwell or something. If someone is foolish enough to make a homemade jersey they could sue them for copyright infringement, perhaps for the full retail price of an "official" jersey. Think of the potential revenue streams. Sheesh.

As long as jerseys are ridiculously expensive, therefore far too expensive for most people to buy, then the knock-off market will thrive. Pure and simple. There is a small percentage of Canucks fans who make it their financial priority to have the authentic gear. If that works for them, then that's great. However for the vast majority of Canucks fans, tickets and authentic gear will never be in their financial reality. Canucks fans with families to feed, mortgages to pay, car loans, etc., etc., will never have the extra cash to buy tickets or real gear. So when you start criticizing people for buying the knock-offs, remember that many of them simply can't afford the real thing. I'm not supporting knock-off gear, but I understand why people buy it. It's insane to pay $150+ for a sports jersey. Never will I pay that kind of money for a jersey - even if I had it. I've got much better things to do with my money. I watch the games at home on TV, wearing my authentic Canucks t-shirt (bought on sale).

I hate to say it but it has a lot to due with our unknowledgeable fan base... they are fair weather fans. They know everything about hockey but have never played it. They know how to fix all the problems, run Bieksa out of town, oh he's actually good, gunnaz go get me a Bikeser jersay yah... Luongo sux trade himz for "player of the month" oh he's good maybe we should keep him now. They buy crap jerseys don't know the ins and outs of hockey and constantly yell "shoot the puck" when they have no clue as to whats going on. Off topic bu Henrik Sedin isn't paid 6 mill a year to shoot the puck. When those fans yell shoot I yell pass and they look at me all weird, it's funny.

okay, rant over

Archived