The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Counterfeit Jersey Epidemic

MGR4B

I don't get the argument of "Real jerseys cost up to $300-400! I'd rather buy a fake one!".... especially when there are NHL licensed replica jerseys for like under a hundred bucks, with shops selling previous versions for significantly cheaper.

A Canucks t-shirt for like $10 bucks at Zellers is still way better than that $40 you spent on a very obvious counterfeit jersey.

Counterfeit always look stupid, regardless of what product. A fake LV bag looks stupid, someone re-badging their Civic with Ferrari products looks stupid.... fake Canucks jerseys look stupid as well.

I don't get the argument of "Real jerseys cost up to $300-400! I'd rather buy a fake one!".... especially when there are NHL licensed replica jerseys for like under a hundred bucks, with shops selling previous versions for significantly cheaper.

A Canucks t-shirt for like $10 bucks at Zellers is still way better than that $40 you spent on a very obvious counterfeit jersey.

Counterfeit always look stupid, regardless of what product. A fake LV bag looks stupid, someone re-badging their Civic with Ferrari products looks stupid.... fake Canucks jerseys look stupid as well.

Here's the issue, lots of people simply cannot afford a legit jersey, often costing a few hundred dollars (for a single piece of clothing, that is QUITE high). So when there are cheaper alternatives out there, what's the problem? If a fan is already paying top dollar to get seats to a game in Vancouver when they could be paying 1/10 of that in some smaller American market, then the team is already making so much profit off of them. The only reason anyone is cracking down on these "fake" jerseys at all is that we're in a situation where the government looks out for the interests of multi-million/billion dollar corporations so they dont lose a tiny bit, but then screw over the common man. Im not saying copyright infringement isnt serious, but in business terms, what the NHL teams do is basically a monopoly, which is also illegal. Except that they can afford the lobbyists to get around these things.

people just want to rep the team. they're stoked. they see other people do it and want to fit in. they want colors and a logo. they don't give a rats ass whether or not its licensed. i say good for them. its still beneficial to the team to have people wearing it everywhere. besides, would you be this concerned about an unofficial canucks car flag or lighter?

For what its worth, I have bought a few counterfeit jerseys. (No Canucks tho) Mostly just as decoration. I see it as a bargain price and I'll take advantage of that. They look as close to legit ones as I can see. Official ones has to have something like 500%+ markup. Good for them, I wont pay it.

I would rather fake jerseys than no jerseys.

Some people simply cant blow thier money on that no matter how big a canucks fan fhey are.

Saying that you work at that store means that you probably get the jerseys at a discounted price when you purchase them via some sort of employees discount.

To the people saying they would rather them buy a t shirt than a fake jersey i disagree. Its not fair that just because they cant afford more than 30 dollars then they cant wear a jersey if they please and yes shirts are totally different than jerseys.

And i know i know if you can afford the tickets you should be able to afford the jersey but honestly who are you to speak for them? How do you know that that person hasn't been saving up for those tickets for a long time or found them at a cheap price last minute on say kijiji or ebay? (I always do that with tickets here but im not sure if people do that in vancouver because of the higher demand) still though they could have had to put a few bucks away for a long time and id take spending that money on tickets and a fake over just a real and watching the gamea at home anyday.

I get really angry when people talk about this because not everyone is as fourtunate as you are or if they seem like they are they might have hige debts that they are throwing thier money into, its not your life, its thiers and you dont know what expenses they had.

Instead of chasing the fans why not lower the price of jerseys and chase the counterfeiters. What is the mark up on a genuine jersey anyway?

My problem with all kinds of merchandise being made in Asia/China is it doesn't lead to a better deal ie "I used to make jerseys for $100 and sell them for $150 but now I import them from China for $40 and sell them for $150." It's out and out greed and what's more the quality we get now is NOT AS GOOD. (I'm talking goods across the board)

The real tragedy is that if the retailer wasn't so greedy many of these items could still be made here and people would be in jobs.

That's capitalism I hear some say..........well so what, the counterfeiter is a capitalist too (and a crook) The difference is he is not claiming to be a friend of the fan.

I wonder, if it is so hard for the ordinary fan to tell the difference maybe the NHL should put more of their outrageous mark up into making the difference more obvious.

PS I like to have the genuine article and don't agree with buying forgeries if I can afford the real thing so I got my sister to bring one back from Winnipeg.

I bought a conterfeit jersey online for 39 bux and Ill do it again and again. The real scam is charging loyal fans $200 - $400 for a jersey. Why do we have to pay so much? So the multi millionaire owners and players can make more money? Especially after both sides fought while fans had to wait for them to scrap over our money to watch hockey. It probablu only costs them like 15 bux and the rest is mark up. I love hockey and the Canucks but will watch the games for free on tv and if I buy jerseys, Ill buy them as conterfeits. I cant see or tell the difference and Its good enough for me.

Im not a lawyer but I dont think you can make someone remove their clothing or kick them out of a building for wearing a jersey you didnt sell them.

I dont wear jersey's anymore, when I go to the games I wear a Canuck t-shirt and hat but honeslty I feel sorry for all the suckers that pay $200 for a jersey that cost $20 to make. If someone is smart enough to source out a good deal on a jersey good for them.

Got to love all the tough guys on here calling fans out who buy fake jersey's. Pretty classy calling them douches , cheap and that they should be forced to take off their jerseys.

How about this, why don't you cowards confront the fans that wear those jersey's when you see them at the games and tell them how you feel?

Here's the issue, lots of people simply cannot afford a legit jersey, often costing a few hundred dollars (for a single piece of clothing, that is QUITE high). So when there are cheaper alternatives out there, what's the problem? If a fan is already paying top dollar to get seats to a game in Vancouver when they could be paying 1/10 of that in some smaller American market, then the team is already making so much profit off of them. The only reason anyone is cracking down on these "fake" jerseys at all is that we're in a situation where the government looks out for the interests of multi-million/billion dollar corporations so they dont lose a tiny bit, but then screw over the common man. Im not saying copyright infringement isnt serious, but in business terms, what the NHL teams do is basically a monopoly, which is also illegal. Except that they can afford the lobbyists to get around these things.

people just want to rep the team. they're stoked. they see other people do it and want to fit in. they want colors and a logo. they don't give a rats ass whether or not its licensed. i say good for them. its still beneficial to the team to have people wearing it everywhere. besides, would you be this concerned about an unofficial canucks car flag or lighter?

Archived