The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Counterfeit Jersey Epidemic

MGR4B

Who are you guys to decide how people should spend their money and what they can and can't wear to the game? Kick people out of the arena... are you kidding me?!? It's not illegal to wear a counterfeit jersey.

Personally I have two legit jerseys and I have a replica/knock off jersey that was given to me... I quite like the replica. I also own several team hats one of which I bought Friday night at the game, and several t-shirts. Point being that along with my half-season ticket package I've contributed more than enough to the team to have an opinion on this topic and my opinion is that no one cares about your opinion. People can wear whatever they want, deal with it.

Counterfeit jerseys aren't that much cheaper than a Reebok replica ..

You can easily find a premier replica one for $80~$100 online whereas a counterfeit jersey will usually run you $50. Just shell out the dough and buy a real jersey.

lol you've got some pretty messed up views on counter fitting-(policestate crap aside lol), as long as the guy whos buying it knows its a fake there's no problem, people can wear whatever they want. thats the pure capitalist model in a free and prosperous society, competing with the fakes. thats whats best for consumers. when business's lobby governments for laws and enforcement to protect their logos and products, consumers lose(usually via higher prices, fewer options,etc). at the cost of millions to the public in enforcement, so mr. aquilini and the nhl can bring in another million or two. cry me a river. 95% of the louis vutton stuff you see on the streets is fake, anybody care? nope. does louis vutton care? they might have for a while, certainly not now.

I didn't see anyone post about this so I am guessing no one shops at Wal-Mart. I was shopping at Wal-Mart the other day and noticed a stack of Canucks Jerseys for only $30. They looked cheap and were obviously crap quality but I don't think Wal-Mart sells fake Jersey's. I think many people buy these cheaper versions that look fake but are really just NHL approved knock offs.

Edit: Wanted to add some stuff to this as well. I only go to a few games a year, but I often find seats in the $40-$80 range online with a little patience. So people who say Jersey's are the same price as seats are obviously only going to games in the lower bowl.

But I also wanted to comment on the $300-400 for a jersey. If you paid more then $200 for your jersey, then you were the one who was scammed. I direct you to the NHL store link :http://shop.canada.nhl.com/family/index.jsp?s=D-StorePrice-NHLCA&categoryId=10980690&pg=1&x=13&y=17

I was in Phoenix 2 years ago and I went to the Canucks game there. They sold their authentic Jerseys for $75 US. I got both a Shane Doan and a Luongo Jersey for $140 CDN, as the CDN dollar was really high at that point. So if the official Yotes store at their arena sells Jersey's at over 50% cheaper then here, and that wasn't on sale, then the only reason for such expensive Jerseys is price gouging. When you deal with a company that doubles their mark up in their own home town, its hard to be sympathetic to the plight of the fakes.

Don't know why people are getting so worked up on either side of this topic. If a counterfeit looks like crap and someone chooses to wear it, that's their problem. I'm not going to think less of someone if they found a good looking jersey for a hundred bucks less, though.

I bought a replica Raymond jersey for my father from a Blue Line retail outlet, and got an authentic(ish?) Kesler jersey from Rocky Mountain Sports on eBay for about the same price. His is a Premiere, mine is an Edge. Everything on my jersey is double-stitched and straight as an arrow, and the shoulder patches are the heavy, sewn-on variety. The iron-on junk on father's jersey still irks me, but he's happy with it. Mine still cost me half of what one out of the team store would have.

Not trying to endorse counterfeits at all, and I consider reputable vendors like Rocky Mountain to be "legit," but it seems foolish to pay double for exactly the same thing.

Warning: Geeky D&D input:

The Lawful Good in you says... it is illegal to rip off a jersey and make profit on the brand of someone else (which IS a little different than peer sharing (which my lawful self still wouldn't do)). You shouldn't support people who rip-off people... that's naughty!

The Chaotic Good in you says... Its really not right that they charge SO much. I wish i could have a jersey without paying a horrid markup price that really hurts my wallet... Since they make so much money off me in other ways, its probably fair (or karmatic) if i buy a fake.

The Neutral in you says: Whatever floats your boat. i have one of each!

The Lawful Evil in you says: Only classless heathens wear fake jerseys! You useless dogs have no place in these stands. Only those who understand the value of their jersey should be allowed to club meetings (else they be removed... they smell)

The Chaotic Evil in you says: If i see you with a fake jersey ill freakin kill you and burn every thing you own!!!

Hope you get a chuckle from this. *scampers off*

Yes but maybe somebody doesn`t want to buy a ???? T-shirt or a hat. A hat is hardly anything. Maybe they want a jersey, why would you give a frack?

How do you know somebody can afford tickets to a game anyway? Obviously there would be situations where somebody can't afford to go to games or get jerseys you ???? moron, why would you be so pretentious about it? I don't understand why you're assuming they can afford tickets to the game and just for some reason choose to get a fake one. If they have the money and choose a fake one then I can understand a bit of your pretension, but a lot of people genuinely can't afford it, and if there exists a cheaper option (that is harmless, since they wouldn't have been able to get a genuine one) people like you just haven't experienced that lifestyle and are too ???? spoiled and privileged to understand. Get off their back, it literally has nothing to do with you.

I collect jerseys as a hobby... have over 70 Canucks jerseys... and I don't mind if other people wear fake jerseys. Who cares, I'll cheer on the Canucks the way I want, everyone else can do what THEY want.

Do I feel sortof bad for the people who make the real jerseys who are getting slightly screwed? yeah for sure. Do I actually care that much? probably not.

This pretty much sums up this whole thread, different but the same.

Pavel Datsyuk is suing a man who he feels is selling clothing that include his likeness, name, and number without his permission.

Oakland Circuit Judge Martha D. Anderson has already issued a temporary restraining order and there will be a hearing to determine if it should be permanent. "Pavel Datsyuk is more focused right now on playing hockey this season and bringing the Stanley Cup back to Detroit," his attorney, Mahesh Nayak, said. "But this is serious and we have to put a stop to it. This is confusing to his fans and damaging to him personally." Meanwhile, Datsyuk has three goals and 10 points in eight games this season.

Archived