The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why so many arm chair GMs not be happy with 2 staright Pres. Cups

harpdog

Northwest Division Champs, Western Conference Champs, Presidents Trophy...................They're all great accomplishments. The process to achieve such is no easy task. That being said, if your a full tilt patriotic Canadian, the title that holds the greatest weight in all of hockey can only be the Stanley Cup Champions; a title most assuredly the most difficult to reach. The 'Nucks are no different than any other contending team organization. We and they are all wanting to achieve championship glory. That being said.......

Seems the last few NHL seasons, the 'Nuck fanbase demands an off season acquisition of noteworthiness; we usually miss out on those, but on occasion we get our man. Hamhuis is one who is such; Higgins and Lappiere turned out alright. Seems though we end up the Marco Sturms, Jan Bulis, Brad Isbister, type duds.

Also it seems we have player injury issues at the start of seasons which always spark talks of acquiring help. As always though it seems we stand pat till the injured players return, which changes the team dynamic somewhat as it would acquiring a new player. For this season, as with any other past ones, looking forward to key players return in ones organization is key. Can't wait for a healthy Kess and Booth to return to our line up!

For this shortened season, I believe we carry all the elements required to make the playoffs and achieve the holy grail. If we acquire something substantial in trade by whatever route, then all the better, but it has to be a difference maker type of player.

A shortened season, though more intense, will benefit our team. By the time the playoffs arrive, the injured Booth and Kess will be in peak form and the rest of the team will gel as a unit. There are already signs of that. Depth in any position will be covered and we will be in fine shape. I look forward to the playoffs!

34345543.jpg

I think a lot of fans who constantly complain about this team and its players really haven't been fans long enough. If anyone survived through the dark ages (aka the Messier years) and the years surrounding it, those fans in general are a lot more even-keel. It's the fans who have been spoiled by the fact that the Canucks have been top of the table for quite some time now.

As others have noted "real Canadian fans" only care about the cup, but "real fans of hockey" also realize that only one team out of 30 wins it every year and that it requires a combination of a well-built team peaking at the right time and quite a bit of puck luck. There's a reason they call it the hardest trophy to win in pro sports.

And I'm sure that's the goal, but it isn't as easy as you've presented. Going to a game 7 SCF is grueling and, as you may/may not be aware, some of our players sustained and played through injuries. That you cannot prevent - it's part of the game. So look at the big picture, not just the "I won't settle for anything but...". Fans with a sense of entitlement miss of lot of good hockey along the way and, while I agree that the ultimate goal is the cup, don't discount so easily the fact that these guys have managed to stay atop the league. Give credit where it's due or you likely don't deserve to celebrate the cup when we do get it.

It's because those people want the team to win a cup, but they don't understand how to get there. Somehow they thought if we gut the whole teAm everytime we lose in the playoff, we will win a cup in the next season.

It's the same group of people who complain how poor they are in real life and that life isn't fair and how others are earning more money than them while doing nothing.

This team ain't better than it was 2 yrs ago except they have been beat up in the playoffs. They are quite simply not tough enough. Vancouver still is not getting it done with their scouting and drafting. They do need more canucks on the canucks. They can't fight, and are horrible on the shoot outs. Yes they will win games but not like they were doing a few yrs ago. Now it is a knuckle biter all the way every game. If they could trade Edler and Raymond with Luongo it would help.

Eddie Lack is a little more than an above average AHL starter, he's also proven himself in elite Swedish league HockeyAllsvenskan taking starting position from Ed Belfour(even though he was a dinosaur then) and posting a 2.02 GAA and .930 save percentage, He also helped set a team record for the Chicago Wolves with least goals against in a season, along with some impressive playoff stats. He like most other rookie goalies take many years to develop before coming to the NHL(usually around the age of 26).

Nevertheless I agree with your points made, but disagree with the discrediting of a promising young goaltender who is a star in the Canucks rookie pool.

This team ain't better than it was 2 yrs ago except they have been beat up in the playoffs. They are quite simply not tough enough. Vancouver still is not getting it done with their scouting and drafting. They do need more canucks on the canucks. They can't fight, and are horrible on the shoot outs. Yes they will win games but not like they were doing a few yrs ago. Now it is a knuckle biter all the way every game. If they could trade Edler and Raymond with Luongo it would help.

What gives you the impression the I am dumping on Schnieder. If you would have read the posts, I am not dumping on him, I am behind Gillis 100%. and no, I do not think I know better that Gillis, but neither does the thousands that say trade Lou. My many years of coaching all levels of hockey has taught me a few things and one of them is that confidence is a two edge sword. you can cut with it or you can get cut with it. Hockey players are people, not pieces of meat

Just because your new cars tires gets a flat tire just before you get to your destination does not mean you should trade it in for an unproven model.

The whole point of this thread is to stand behind the Canucks, thick or thin. You don't boo a goalie because he has a bad game or two. This is a team sport played as a team to be effective and if the rest of the team plays bad, it doesn't matter who is in.

Yea I may be a new member here but that does not mean squat. You were new here once too! I came here for one reason, not a secret agenda so your statement that its safe to say this is way offside. Its safe to say that you need statements like this to boost your confidence when all it dfoes is reinforce mine. You have only been here since July.

I feel the many Canucks fans would not be happy with a Stanley Cup and the very next year, the same arm chair GMs will start more rumours because they will never be satsfied. That is Vancouver hockey fans.You would had a riot even if you had won.

I really like the idea of watching a game now knowing that my team, The Canucks have a great chance to win every night and if they don't I know they will have a great chance to win the next game night.

The presidents trophy was nice and exciting the first time.. but it means absolutely nothing to me now. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal...the regular season...meh if you want to take solace in the fact you placed first there fine but aside from home ice advantage what has it given you..nothing.

What gives you the impression the I am dumping on Schnieder. If you would have read the posts, I am not dumping on him, I am behind Gillis 100%. and no, I do not think I know better that Gillis, but neither does the thousands that say trade Lou. My many years of coaching all levels of hockey has taught me a few things and one of them is that confidence is a two edge sword. you can cut with it or you can get cut with it. Hockey players are people, not pieces of meat

Just because your new cars tires gets a flat tire just before you get to your destination does not mean you should trade it in for an unproven model.

The whole point of this thread is to stand behind the Canucks, thick or thin. You don't boo a goalie because he has a bad game or two. This is a team sport played as a team to be effective and if the rest of the team plays bad, it doesn't matter who is in.

Yea I may be a new member here but that does not mean squat. You were new here once too! I came here for one reason, not a secret agenda so your statement that its safe to say this is way offside. Its safe to say that you need statements like this to boost your confidence when all it dfoes is reinforce mine. You have only been here since July.

I feel the many Canucks fans would not be happy with a Stanley Cup and the very next year, the same arm chair GMs will start more rumours because they will never be satsfied. That is Vancouver hockey fans.You would had a riot even if you had won.

I really like the idea of watching a game now knowing that my team, The Canucks have a great chance to win every night and if they don't I know they will have a great chance to win the next game night.

Archived