The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why so many arm chair GMs not be happy with 2 staright Pres. Cups

harpdog

I remember the day when I could get free tickets while Busking in front of GM Place now Rogers . You remember the Messier years right? You the fans never created a frenzy like you are now about who to trade. Well back then we cared just as much and would have been thrilled just to make the playoffs.

Now we have the best regular season team in hockey for 2 straight seasons and still the need to improve becomes greater and with greater anticipation. I just have trouble understanding the lack of positive reinforcement from the fans.

Why would anyone trade Luongo and rely on an unproven starter and a above average AHL goalie when your team has to play 16 and 17 games a month for the next 2 and 1/2 months? The Canucks have one of the best 2 goalie systems with a pattern of using the hot goalie until they go cold..I say lets hear more LOU LOU LOU

Why would you worry when you will get a Selke winner back in a few weeks, fully healthy and ready to make an end of the season run. Keslers season should have ended in Feb. of last year. he should have never been playing but he did. Heart of a lion coming back to lead this team like he did the 4 years before. Yeah baby. And we woun't need a trade to improve the team here either

Why would you worry when you still have another key component of the team coming back.in Booth. The guys kills Chara sized bears. He is fast and we became a faster team with him. speed does kills in hockey.

No team is going to win every game. Winning is a team effort and the team plays a system. Trading players for new players affeccts that system as you saw last year in Kassian.

The Canucks are a super team and compete almost every game. They get along well on and off the season now. This is important. You are not playing for just a team, you are playing for players that are also friends

I feel very confident in the Canucks Gillis has put together and for this arm chair GM, there would have to be offering one super sweet deal for me to disrupt a 2 time president Cup lineup just for change.

Don't mess with the best

Gone are the days of trading a player for a bag of pucks.

Gone are the days of Mike Milbury going off the edge and trading 5 or 6 players. GMs now are very smart with teams of advisers backing them with boatloads of info to use. Trades need luck and occasionally you get lucky at the dead line and get a Jeff Carter. Then you hope a Volpati has some value. These deals are rare. Stand Pat! All will Be good, you will see. Go Canucks.

So goes Gillis so goes I.

Completely agree, we don't need to trade anyone. This is an amazing group of players. The coaches just need to change some strategy while playing and we are golden.

They need to look at the game tapes and see what went wrong against LA and Boston in the playoffs. I've said it before. Puck pressure. This team backs off the puck way too much when the other team has it to get back into position, force the play, force them to make mistakes. That's what LA and Boston did to us.

The main goal of each year is to be competitive enough for a chance to win the Stanley Cup and it doesn't matter if a team squeaks into the playoffs or wins the Presidents Trophy because once the playoffs begin every team has the same chances of winning. the Canucks have won it two straight years and even though the first time they were close last year didn't prove much of an advantage. I would rather see the Canucks win enough games to secure a playoff spot then rest the top players. Who cares about the Presidents trophy when you could be better rested to win the Stanley cup.

Sometimes I wish we would suck for a few years.

I remember being a Canuck fan in Saskatchewan in the dark days, so cold, so alone.

These harsh conditions encourage natural selection.

The douchebagery will be overtaken by the fan that just wants to watch the game with some Doritoes and Pilsner and be thoroughly entertained win or lose.

But I guess these spazz cases come with success, so whatever.

The main goal of each year is to be competitive enough for a chance to win the Stanley Cup and it doesn't matter if a team squeaks into the playoffs or wins the Presidents Trophy because once the playoffs begin every team has the same chances of winning. the Canucks have won it two straight years and even though the first time they were close last year didn't prove much of an advantage. I would rather see the Canucks win enough games to secure a playoff spot then rest the top players. Who cares about the Presidents trophy when you could be better rested to win the Stanley cup.

canuck fans are fickle as hell

on top of that they have expectations that are way to high , year round

there's 30 teams in the league , if you cant enjoy watching a team dominate year round unless they win a cup

your not canucks fan , you are not even a hockey fan

I simply watch the game and my team for the sheer enjoyment of going through all the wins and losses with them, if I wanted to only feel the gratification of winning a cup? Well then I'd just hop on the bandwagon and watch whoever is winning in the finals. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a cup come to Vancouver- but it's not the most important part of the equation.. If your itty bitty heart can't take it, then go watch tennis. :mellow:

Who cares about the President's Trophy, it's the Stanley Cup or nothing. I've been watching the Canucks for almost 25 years and still no cup, just figure it out already and stop with the futility. You may be happy with the great regular seasons but they mean nothing to me, because everyone in a hockey conversation will always say "Yeah, Yeah but have they won the cup". So what are you supposed to say in return.....nothing, because their right.

Sometimes I wish we would suck for a few years.

I remember being a Canuck fan in Saskatchewan in the dark days, so cold, so alone.

These harsh conditions encourage natural selection.

The douchebagery will be overtaken by the fan that just wants to watch the game with some Doritoes and Pilsner and be thoroughly entertained win or lose.

But I guess these spazz cases come with success, so whatever.

who cares about having 2 goalies schnieder is good enough to be our starter and luongo could bring us back the last couple peices we need to push us over the top... sitting on the bench opening the door for the defencemen come playoff time dosent help the team as much as 2 other players that could be logging 10-15 minutes of ice time each and making a difference in the game . the sad thing is there was talk of frattin and bozak for luongo and gillis turning it down wanting more in return (keep in mind frattin hadnt done anything in the nhl yet , but that didnt stop gillis for trading for kassian) .... that trade would look fantastic right now.. those 2 guys on our second and 3rd line would win us a cup , big bodies with skill deep in our roster. teams that go far in the playoffs are the teams with the best 3rd and 4th lines.. last year when we playe detroit right befor the deadline it was clear redwings and nucks were the best teams in the league and it was becasue they both had the best 3rd lines in the league redwings 3rd line went down with injuries and we blew ours up at the deadline with the cody trade and both teams tanked in the playoffs. go back at look at the rosters of the final 4 last year and you will then see the depth it takes to compete for the cup .. id rather have 2nd and 3rd liners threwout my 4 lines then have 2 first lines and a drop off to 2 4th lines like the canucks have had lately .... and last thing i will say what scares me is the play of kessler. hes terrible as a second line centre he has no play making abilities that a 2nd line centre should hes great in his own end but offensivly the second line dosent do much with him playing centre aswell as first line PP and first line PK its like hes got no gas left for his regular shift .. ( based on last year of course) it would almost be best if when he comes back maybe he takes the draws on the 2nd line as hes better than burrows but after the draw switch to the wing and let burrows take centre. just my thoughts

What has Schneider really done. He hasn't done diddly in the playoffs yet. Luongo has been carrying him for the last 2 years. Your best defensive player in Kesler is injured. I am just saying that the Team as it is with a couple of minor trade dead line addtions that do not change the line up and you have 3 of the best lines in hockey. Your 4th line is a PP defence and shut down line. Adding another 3rd or 4th line player make the canucks lose some one like Higgins or Booth and they are plus players that are not a defensive liability.

Canucks fans have so little faith. This team has been building for the Cup for 4 years now and all of a sudden you want to tear it apart because of some injuries and bad luck> Fickle is a mild word.

Forget last year or the year before, this is now or as a smart guy in this forum said "If you are only cheering for the cup, then your are not a fan but a bandwagoner."

True fans cheer for their team win lose or shoot out.

It's time for a cup here man I've followed for over 30 years don't care about regular season present trophy crap just get to the play offs then take over just like la kings did last year this team I think is more then capable plus luongo looks so awesome this year if we can get kes and booth back we should have it made pending no one else gets injured hope the hockey gods are with us this year go canucks go :towel:

Archived