The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

I have nothing against Cory Schneider and believe he isn't far away from elite goaltender status.

But he is still very unproven in comparison to Roberto Luongo.

With Luongo we get critical (and often overlooked) playoff experience and what no doubt is a much more mature goaltender than in years past.

He just might be our best option this spring.

Yes you could say I'm too into the current Luongo love-in. But we're we not all a little hysterical in anointing Cory Schneider our undisputed #1?

Yes he signed a 3 year deal under the presumption he'd be here, starting. But Roberto Luongo the man who has backstopped this team the past 6 seasons, signed a 12 year deal ALSO in good faith assuming he'd be here the rest of his career.

I know, the decision was made for on ice reasons only. But so is this one. Strictly business.

Do the Canucks not have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? If it makes the team better, it would be simply insane not to.

ya like many have said schneider is for the future luongo can supply what 3-5 more years where schneider can supply 10 years lack and cannata are still relatively rookies in the ahl and only lack seems ready for back up position so we do have some goaltending depth but not enough to trade schneider and ride luongo til he retires or slows down

If we trade Luongo, we end up with a goalie who is struggling right now and won't put it together in the playoffs for another couple of seasons. No goalie goes and wins a Cup with 1 playoff win under his belt. Quick had a few bad playoffs before he put it all together last season to win a Cup. Thomas had years of failures before he finally worked it out and won a Cup.

The only 2 goalies in NHL history to win Cups without much playoff history are Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. So basically Schneider has to be an all-time NHL top-3 goaltender to win a Cup this season or next.

Quite frankly I don't like those odds, and don't want to bet the entire Canucks season on the chance that Schneider is a top-3 goalie in the history of the NHL, because it's most likely untrue.

Instead we should be going with the goalie who's been through the losses, gained invaluable playoff experience over time and only now looks like he's finally putting it all together with a great season. Luongo is in his prime NOW, you never trade an all-time top-10 goalie in his prime and go with a young rookie over them. MG traded Hodgson and stuck with the Sedins and Kesler when they were in their prime, so likewise we should stick to Luongo.

Show loyalty in a goalie who has shown this loyalty Gillis or it will cost this organization in more ways than one.

Is Halak seriously being compared to Luongo... Lol

To the discussion above:

Luongo was the starter for six years, and he has played over 700 games. Had a mediocre playoff run and Schneider comes in for relief and takes the starting role. Price was the starter for 3 years, had a mediocre playoff run, Halak comes in and takes charge of the starting role.

Now is it easier to see the similarities? If the Canadiens hadn't traded Halak and kept both, it would have been similar to what our situation currently is.

Not hating on Schneider, I think he is a great goalie, but with Luongo we know what we're getting, an Elite and possibly future Hall of Fame goalie.

With Schneider, for all we know, he could become the next Steve Mason.

And no, I'm not judging this off a few games, Lu since day 1.

To all those who think we will only get prospect trading Schneider, there is one thing you should think about.

Everybody healty our top 6 would be

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Now you look for a team that need a #1 goalie, but who isn't ready to win now, so they could be interested in Schneider because they could keep him for a lot of year.

Trade Schneider with Booth for a playoff proven scorer, the other team solve their problem in net, they aren't loosing too much on offense and we get what we need to make another Cup run. I think that's a win win situation for both team, of course that's maybe with the new guy we could get a conditionnal draft pick depending on how far we go in the playoffs.

We only need to find a partner to dance with.

Maybe peoples here won't like that but I would even consider to trade with a division rival(Calgary) and talk about Cammalleri, Kiprusoff is 35 or 36 i think, become an UFA after the next season, so a young goalie could be good for them and they aren't ready for a Cup run so they could trade Kiprusoff to a team who is ready for that. On our side we get Cammalleri who scored 16 goals in 26 games with the Habs in playoffs, of course he's bad on the defensive side but he would play with Kesler and Burrows so I don't care.

I believe that MG will always consider the option of trading ANY Canuck's player if it improves the team. If he isn't willing to do this, then he should not be running an NHL franchise.

If a deal comes along that makes sense and it involves Schneider, then move him. Same for Lu... Or Kes... Or Prab freakin' Rai.

I think that the damage already my be done, though, in the relationship between Luongo, the club and the "fans" of Vancouver. A deal seems inevitable, to me, based on the treatment of a potential HOF keeper in this fickle, hockey-crazy market.

When your two star players (the Sedins) don't show up in the playoffs, why is it Luongo gets all the blame? Isn't it possible that the entire culture of this team has been built around the Sedins, and their passive style of aggression/play isn't suited to the playoffs?

If we trade Luongo, we end up with a goalie who is struggling right now and won't put it together in the playoffs for another couple of seasons. No goalie goes and wins a Cup with 1 playoff win under his belt. Quick had a few bad playoffs before he put it all together last season to win a Cup. Thomas had years of failures before he finally worked it out and won a Cup.

The only 2 goalies in NHL history to win Cups without much playoff history are Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. So basically Schneider has to be an all-time NHL top-3 goaltender to win a Cup this season or next.

Quite frankly I don't like those odds, and don't want to bet the entire Canucks season on the chance that Schneider is a top-3 goalie in the history of the NHL, because it's most likely untrue.

Instead we should be going with the goalie who's been through the losses, gained invaluable playoff experience over time and only now looks like he's finally putting it all together with a great season. Luongo is in his prime NOW, you never trade an all-time top-10 goalie in his prime and go with a young rookie over them. MG traded Hodgson and stuck with the Sedins and Kesler when they were in their prime, so likewise we should stick to Luongo.

Show loyalty in a goalie who has shown this loyalty Gillis or it will cost this organization in more ways than one.

the thing is people forget louie and the core of this team are all roughly the same age so when louie starts to decline so will the twins and the other core members of this club que the complete rebuild. if we trade lou now and we have to wait for cory well how does that fit with the older guys.i have been all for keeping lou since he was signed longterm by the ownership. honor your commitments. cory should have been moved at last years deadline. cory doesn't have a ntc either so MG could send him anywhere not just for leaf garbage or panther scrapes

I don't see them doing this...the writing's been on the wall for awhile now. As much as it pains me to think of it, I just think it's a matter of the right deal coming along before Lu's gone. Wish it wasn't so, but think it is. He has something to say in this matter and I feel that he's already resigned to this and is letting us know, now, what we'll be missing.

People are already turning on Schneids, which isn't fair. Just because Lu's playing great doesn't diminish his ability. He's not playing atm, therefore, not given opportunity to "prove" himself. We'll be ok either way. My heartstrings are tugging for Lu, as I've always seen/valued his humorous side. When people called him smug/arrogant, I caught on that he has a bit of a snickering side that enjoys punking people. He's a great sport and some are just now catching on to that. Plus, as a fellow poker player I always dreamed I'd get the chance to sit at a table with him someplace. Unrealistic, but damn if I wasn't going to try to PS my way there....

Archived