The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

Price wasn't the established #1 though.

He was the unproven kid with sky high potential, that's Schneider.

Halak was the guy coming off a very hot performance which turned fans in his favor, That's Luongo.

Had they made the same move you want us to do, alot of fans would be regretting it now as Price is easily the better goaltending.

Price wasn't the established #1 though.

He was the unproven kid with sky high potential, that's Schneider.

Halak was the guy coming off a very hot performance which turned fans in his favor, That's Luongo.

Had they made the same move you want us to do, alot of fans would be regretting it now as Price is easily the better goaltending.

We are talking about the most recent turn of fan opinion.

At the time Schneider took over, everyone was on Schneiders side it seemed. Just like everyone in MTL once had all there eggs in Price's basket. Then Luongo played as well as he did yesterday, and things started to change. Halak played aswell as he did in the cup run, and things started to change.

We are talking about the most recent turn of fan opinion.

At the time Schneider took over, everyone was on Schneiders side it seemed. Just like everyone in MTL once had all there eggs in Price's basket. Then Luongo played as well as he did yesterday, and things started to change. Halak played aswell as he did in the cup run, and things started to change.

Then management went with the who they thought would be the best option long term aswell as short term, and Wham. They made the right call.

Circumstances & specifics are a tad different, but it is the same basic picture.

But it is like I said above.

Price was the starter, and then Halak played great and changed fan opinion.

Schneider was apparently the starter, then Luongo played great, and changed fan opinion.

MTL went against that and made the correct call, I am hoping we do the same.

This is exactly why we shouldn't trade Schneider!!!

Luongo played great last week, its 8 games into the season, for all we know Schnieder could jump back in next game, and go on an even longer streak. It is waaayy to early to jump the gun like this.

Personally I think we should hold onto both for the time being, but Luongo is the one that ultimately should go, as Schneider overall is the better and more valuable option for us.

Alright, we seem to have that comparison in a different context, as I said specifics and circumstances are different, but the picture is basically the same, they went with the younger guy with high upside against fan opinion and it turned out to be the correct move.

Either way lets just put that aside anyways.

The perception and basis behind trading Schneider, is to improve our teams chances for this year right? By perceivably adding a star/impact player right?

How realistic is that? That's very unlikely to happen, odds are the deal we get will be a package of futures, they will be of higher quality of those we will get for Roberto, but the basis of moving Schneider (If you have that opinion for the better of the team, not for a personal bias toward Lu) is that it will make our team alot better for a cup run, futures don't do that.

Schneider is the more valuable piece to us aswell, not just to other teams, so if we are accepting futures in return for either goalie, I would just keep Schneider and Luongo for the time being, then trade Luongo for futures in the offseason.

Usually I'd be in a situation to say, trading the young player would be insane but I don't think its the case. In fact, I have to be neutral on this because there are reasons to trade either goalies. I think many people would trade Luongo first, because he'll free up more salary, and he hasn't worked exactly been great in the playoffs, and that perhaps its time for a change. It's all true but....

We've spent how much years with Luongo? and how much has he learned here? We've seen him develop, and he still continues to grow. He's 33. In the past few years, We've actually seen him mature and he's become more mentally tough than we've ever seen him before. A couple years ago in the finals, we saw him act like a child and perhaps, that was needed for him to come to the realization to finally fully not really care what the media says about him. His mental game getting better, hopefully he is less likely to collapse in playoff games and break down in series match ups. Emotions get the most of him, and that's clearly haven't bother since the finals.

With that being said, i do believe goaltenders are better in their mid to late 30's because of their mentality and we've seen several of goaltenders that are late 30's to 40's that do well in the playoffs. Tim Thomas, Dwayne Roloson, just to name a couple. It'll be a whole lot of years before Schneider gets the experience that Luongo has.

I do believe the biggest question is also long - term. So, we think that Schneider is the long term solution, he also becomes a UFA in 2 years. There are many risk. Either he lives up to expectations or bust. If he turns into the goalie we think he will, how much money will he make and why would he stay here? If he's bust, then we're going to spend years finding another goaltender. Remember, Vancouver, before Luongo was a goalie graveyard for decades. With Luongo's long term contract, it's actually a safer route. We've had Luongo for years now, we kind of know what we're getting now.

You can't compare it to the Halak and Price situation since they were both so young. I'd love if the Canucks could get someone close to what Lars Eller is, a big monster two way center with lots of upside.

Usually I'd be in a situation to say, trading the young player would be insane but I don't think its the case. In fact, I have to be neutral on this because there are reasons to trade either goalies. I think many people would trade Luongo first, because he'll free up more salary, and he hasn't worked exactly been great in the playoffs, and that perhaps its time for a change. It's all true but....

We've spent how much years with Luongo? and how much has he learned here? We've seen him develop, and he still continues to grow. He's 33. In the past few years, We've actually seen him mature and he's become more mentally tough than we've ever seen him before. A couple years ago in the finals, we saw him act like a child and perhaps, that was needed for him to come to the realization to finally fully not really care what the media says about him. His mental game getting better, hopefully he is less likely to collapse in playoff games and break down in series match ups. Emotions get the most of him, and that's clearly haven't bother since the finals.

With that being said, i do believe goaltenders are better in their mid to late 30's because of their mentality and we've seen several of goaltenders that are late 30's to 40's that do well in the playoffs. Tim Thomas, Dwayne Roloson, just to name a couple.

I do believe the biggest question is also long - term. So, we think that Schneider is the long term solution, he also becomes a UFA in 2 years. There are many risk. Either he lives up to expectations or bust. If he turns into the goalie we think he will, how much money will he make and why would he stay here? If he's bust, then we're going to spend years finding another goaltender. Remember, Vancouver, before Luongo was a goalie graveyard for decades. With Luongo's long term contract, it's actually a safer route. We've had Luongo for years now, we kind of know what we're getting now.

You can't compare it to the Halak and Price situation since they were both so young. I'd love if the Canucks could get someone close to what Lars Eller is, a big monster two way center with lots of upside.

Why are people arguing so much about one of our team's main strengths? Seriously, we have 2 good goalies, our 'backup' is hot right now and getting us the wins we sorely need. Let's just give it a rest--I think the management will make the right decision when the time comes. There's no clear solution right now, so let's wait it out!

Archived