The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

For now my opinion would be to keep them both and settle this in the off season and no longer. This in an unnecessary distraction that Canucks management has put on this team. Seeing the support and respect between both goalies will only hold for so long.

The season is short and we need wins! I would personally ride the hot goalie for that reason. I'm a big Schneider fan for the fact of his great play and attitude. It reminds me of the rekindling feeling I had when becoming a huge Kirk McLean fan since he got traded here from the Devils. I also enjoy the great play of Luongo, especially when he plays like a beast as he has shown us in recent games and in seasons past. I wasn't big on Luongo mainly due to his sparse attitude (though the pressure he's indured from fans and media was not fare due to the team play in front of him), but now he's a different man in that department with his no pressure/humorous attitude. For that, I'm throwing out my LU chants as well in support! I (WE) want this TEAM to WIN...PERIOD! Cory is getting paid well now and should settle into the mind set of being ready to play when he gets called on as the rolls will reverse throughout the season. As we all know, he's been on the bench for 4 or so games in recent seasons, gets called on in releif and plays like a beast himself. I remember his six game start he got last season for being the hot goalie in November where he met the Colorado Avalanche twice in that span and got two shutouts against them.

It's a short season and the team needs to show this different approach of urgency. Our window of opportunity is getting ever so small as many of you have indicated and we need to be smart. If one of our goalies go down due to injury...we still have a solid chance with the other. Remember a few years back when Auld took over in the playoffs when Lui went down...OUCH!

I don't see them doing this...the writing's been on the wall for awhile now. As much as it pains me to think of it, I just think it's a matter of the right deal coming along before Lu's gone. Wish it wasn't so, but think it is. He has something to say in this matter and I feel that he's already resigned to this and is letting us know, now, what we'll be missing.

People are already turning on Schneids, which isn't fair. Just because Lu's playing great doesn't diminish his ability. He's not playing atm, therefore, not given opportunity to "prove" himself. We'll be ok either way. My heartstrings are tugging for Lu, as I've always seen/valued his humorous side. When people called him smug/arrogant, I caught on that he has a bit of a snickering side that enjoys punking people. He's a great sport and some are just now catching on to that. Plus, as a fellow poker player I always dreamed I'd get the chance to sit at a table with him someplace. Unrealistic, but damn if I wasn't going to try to PS my way there....

Lu haters are making way too many assumptions. Assuming Schneids will be anywhere near as good as Lu, and assuming Lack can be as good Schneids is pure fantasy. At this point, like it or not, Schneids and Lack have just as much chance of fading off into obscurity as any other goalie before them. There is only one #1, his name is Luongo.

Anyhow, I doubt MG moves either one of them before Lack is back from injury.

Also, Lu is Canadian and wants badly to redeem himself and win the cup. Schneids is a ginger yankee without a ntc. Just saying.

Lu haters are making way too many assumptions. Assuming Schneids will be anywhere near as good as Lu, and assuming Lack can be as good Schneids is pure fantasy. At this point, like it or not, Schneids and Lack have just as much chance of fading off into obscurity as any other goalie before them. There is only one #1, his name is Luongo.

Anyhow, I doubt MG moves either one of them before Lack is back from injury.

Also, Lu is Canadian and wants badly to redeem himself and win the cup. Schneids is a ginger yankee without a ntc. Just saying.

Alright, we seem to have that comparison in a different context, as I said specifics and circumstances are different, but the picture is basically the same, they went with the younger guy with high upside against fan opinion and it turned out to be the correct move.

Either way lets just put that aside anyways.

The perception and basis behind trading Schneider, is to improve our teams chances for this year right? By perceivably adding a star/impact player right?

How realistic is that? That's very unlikely to happen, odds are the deal we get will be a package of futures, they will be of higher quality of those we will get for Roberto, but the basis of moving Schneider (If you have that opinion for the better of the team, not for a personal bias toward Lu) is that it will make our team alot better for a cup run, futures don't do that.

Schneider is the more valuable piece to us aswell, not just to other teams, so if we are accepting futures in return for either goalie, I would just keep Schneider and Luongo for the time being, then trade Luongo for futures in the offseason.

Good post, you provide good insight from both sides of the coin. These bolded parts are things that stand out to me however.

The contract he signed was a bridge deal, if say Luongo goes, then Schneider plays like everyone thinks he will, then I think he will sign here, the deal was meant for us to see what he could really do on his own, without us making a long term commitment Although I don't have any question in my mind that if we chose him and he preforms, that he will reciprocate that loyalty and choose us.

And if he busts, I just want to point out that we won't have to look far, as we do have a few promising goalies in the system Lack and Cannata. :P

The Canucks would consider moving any player if brought the team the right return they are looking for. GM Mike Gillis has mentioned he is happy with his team's goaltenders, will wait on any deal until the right return is there or he will not make a move.

Luongo can let in 6 goals next time and as fans here are over the top in terms of being reactionary lol....the fans will sing the praises of Schneider.

Teams evaluate players over a pro-longed period of time, based on scouting, experience, and potential....Luongo playing well to start the season or Schneider earning a shutout don't make other teams suddenly want or not want an asset. Luongo is the more valuable asset in terms of netminders based on his body of work and his resume.

Canucks don't have to make any move...simply put they don't. To accomodate Luongo as Schneider develops they will explore their options in a possible move.

I agree with Don Cherry, CS is unproven whereas Lou has shown how great he is. Seems strange that Lou started to go downhill when his goalie coach was changed for him. Now after 7 weeks with his old coach he is top notch again. I say stay with Lou

Archived