The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

I know that we want to win now, but I think trading away Schneider would be a risky gamble. He's young, he's talented and he's got a long career ahead of him. Sure, Luongo's hot right now and he's got a good track record, but how much longer can he perform? He's getting older and we need to think more long term. Schneider's not having the start to the season that anyone imagined, but I still believe he's our go-to guy. Luongo's recent excellent performance hasn't changed my mind that Schneider should be the guy to keep.

Luongo reportedly asked to be traded. That's the crux.

And I don't blame him, given the constant scrutiny and criticism he's been subjected to.

Even if Luongo could be convinced to retract his trade request, I don't think it'd be wise to proceed with him. Let's say Schneider is traded for a handsome return. The Canucks have a strong season and win a few playoff rounds before being eliminated. Luongo has some sub-par performances in the final round, so fans and media react by calling for his his head, as is their custom. Now Luongo is again unhappy in Vancouver, but Schneider has already been traded, and Eddie Lack is not ready to takeover. This is a realistic and ugly possibility.

For perhaps the first time during his Canucks tenure, Luongo isn't at the moment under pressure in Vancouver - why criticize a guy who'll likely be traded within a couple weeks?. And it shows. He looks relaxed. He's playing very well.

But if Schneider is traded, the scrutiny on Luongo will be unlike ever before. Assume Schneider will play to his potential, and thrive with regular playing time. The ignorant hordes will be out with pitchforks every time Schneider has a good game. It will be like Hodgson vs. Kassian times a million. It will be an ugly scene, and a Stanley Cup victory is the only thing that could put it to rest.

ya like many have said schneider is for the future luongo can supply what 3-5 more years where schneider can supply 10 years lack and cannata are still relatively rookies in the ahl and only lack seems ready for back up position so we do have some goaltending depth but not enough to trade schneider and ride luongo til he retires or slows down

I don't think it's quite hysterical to think Cory should be the number 1. He's had a very slow rise into the position he is in now and has proven himself at each step. He's just about as prepared to take over as a starter as he could possibly be. There are no guarantees that a player will succeed but it's a pretty reasonable expectation that he will.

Man if Gillis ever traded Schneider wow that would take some serious guts. It's one thing to have a Luongo trade not work out since trading Luongo is what is expected, plus it gets a big contract off the books and Luongo is older. But if a Schneider trade ever backfired I don't know how he could live that down.

If Lack seems ready for a backup position, wouldn't this work in our favour trading Schneider in the off season. Bring in a backup in the Schneider trade, groom Lack behind Luo for the next 2-3 years then make the switch when Luongo REALLY is in the downward slope of his career. :huh:

I really really hope MG is not stupid enough to abandon his plans to move Luongo and keep Schneider as our #1 going forward.

Can you IMAGINE what would happen in this town if Lu, now alone and with all the pressure back on his shoulders, melts down again in the playoffs? And Schneider goes on to be spectacular playing on another team? Maybe even playing for another team in this years playoffs?

That would be the end of Mike Gillis in Vancouver.

What I hope, and assume, is that Lu is being showcased while he's on a role. Not because other GMs need to be educated on Roberto, but just to keep him in the limelight and remind the GMs of his potential. It can't hurt, lets put it that way.

As a supporter of Schneider being our #1, Lu playing so well is the best possible scenario for the team and its fans. Although I think its a mistake to let Cory rust on the bench TOO long. That means it will speed up the bidding war and get the deal done sooner rather than later.

I loved having Lu as our goalie, but its time to move on. He had his last chance starting last years playoffs, despite his backup having better numbers, and he blew it. Letting in 7 goals in 2 games with a .891 SP and 3.59 GA.

I only hope Schneids can continue to reign in his frustrations a little while longer and this doesn't fester into bad blood battle with AV even after Lu is gone. Because we all know who wins with that.

I know that we want to win now, but I think trading away Schneider would be a risky gamble. He's young, he's talented and he's got a long career ahead of him. Sure, Luongo's hot right now and he's got a good track record, but how much longer can he perform? He's getting older and we need to think more long term. Schneider's not having the start to the season that anyone imagined, but I still believe he's our go-to guy. Luongo's recent excellent performance hasn't changed my mind that Schneider should be the guy to keep.

Look if the Canucks truely had doubts about whether Schneider could handle full-time duties or not he'd be playing the majority of games now while we still have Luongo as insurance...thats not the case. Its a risk either way moving either guy... does 5? great regular season games change my confidence in Luongo come playoff time? Nope. I would be shocked to see Schneider moved. Hope this gets resolved soon and we can all move on with 1 ???? starter and none of this hoping the "other" guy fails crap but what the hell am i saying thats not gonna happen around here.

Archived