Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#211 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Last week, Gillis said he hasn’t “been thinking about, thought of, or considered” trading Schneider.

he never said he was going to trade Hodgson either, just saying

#212 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,915 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

so far the season has shown that Cory wasn't ready to be number 1 with Lui as his backup.  Lui stole the number 1 job back obviously.
I don't care who gets the job, as long merit dictates it.  So far AV is doing what it takes to win.  

MG on the other can afford to keep them both for this yr.  He needs to get significant offers that can upgrade the team, otherwise the team has a better chance winning keeping both.  As for long term argument, I think that is not important since both goalies will be pretty good for many yrs to come.  But the team might not.  The window to win is now.

Edited by Jaimito, 04 February 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

#213 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

he never said he was going to trade Hodgson either, just saying

Well, he never said he wasn't going to trade him either. There's a difference between saying you are not going to trade someone and not saying you are going to trade someone.
Just sayin'.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#214 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Those factors make more teams interested in Schneids, but not necessarily worth more. The Luongo supporters are claiming that Lu is an elite, top 5, world class goalie who will continue to play well into his late 30's. While at the same time, Cory is an unproven goalie who has potential.

Given those details, shouldn't Lu receive more in a trade?

Ok you've finally convinced me, lets traded Lou.

Now.....

Is he still here?

#215 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

so far the season has shown that Cory wasn't ready to be number 1 with Lui as his backup. Lui stole the number 1 job back obviously.
I don't care who gets the job, as long merit dictates it. So far AV is doing what it takes to win.

MG on the other can afford to keep them both for this yr. He needs to get significant offers that can upgrade the team, otherwise the team has a better chance winning keeping both. As for long term argument, I think that is not important since both goalies will be pretty good for many yrs to come. But the team might not. The window to win is now.

I don't see it that way at all. Schneids was put into no win situations, and aside from the first game, he has played very well. Luongo is playing well also, but, to me, he is being played with a purpose beyond wins for the Canucks

#216 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

so far the season has shown that Cory wasn't ready to be number 1 with Lui as his backup.

Sorry, but playing in 4 games doesn't prove this at all...Otherwise for the last however many years it was shown that Luongo wasn't ready to be #1 by how terribly he started every season.

Schneider had 2 bad games...And to be fair, it's not like defense in front of him did much to help.

Edited by Airjasper, 04 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#217 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

In a nutshell, the Canucks are obviously going to entertain offers for both goalies. We can argue about who is more valuable or who will fetch more in a trade all we want, but the fact is both these goalies are valuable commodities to any team in need of top notch goaltending. One is an experienced goalie still in his prime who is probably one of the top goalies of the past decade, while the other one is perhaps the best young goalie in the league whose best years are still to come.

It would be foolish of Gillis just to decide on one and only shop the other. Likely, Canucks brass has chosen one who they would rather go forward with, which common sense dictates would be the younger, cheaper Schneider, but they will certainly listen to offers for both because, quite frankly, both will attract pretty significant returns.

It matters when one of the two doesn't want to be here any longer

#218 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Looks like Alex Smith won his starting job back.

Strombone Jan 12 - Kaepernick looking fantastic proving you could never go wrong in going with the youngster over the old vet..........

Edited by Neversummer, 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#219 Commercial Canuck

Commercial Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

We already have a #1. His name is Luongo. In any other situation, a team with a hot back-up would trade him for assets to put the team over the top.

Instead, we're risking the idea with keeping and installing Schneider as our new #1, and attempting to trade away our established and experienced #1.

I say keep both until the off-season, trade Schneider, and build our d-core and center with some prospects and/or draft picks. I have no doubt in my mind that Luongo can play as an elite goaltender for the next 5-6 years.

Edited by Commercial Canuck, 04 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#220 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Honestly, I'm just excited to have both Luongo and Schneider on the team and am planning on enjoying it while it lasts. This is really like having the goalie equivalent of Crosby and Malkin on the team.

You see that's where you and those that want to keep BOTH goalies are wrong. There is no equivalent between the goalie position and a forward position because a coach has an option to play Crosby and Malkin on the same line, even if he didn't start the game that way, in order to generate some needed shot of offense. Unfortunately AV can't shove Lu and Schneids in next to each other in net if he thinks he needs to shut the barn door.

Would it be nice to have both of them....yes. But the alternative, of getting back a proven playoff performer skater (either offensive or defensive) to add to the team is much more beneficial in practical terms. Especially if you are looking at a limited window of opportunity for the Canucks. We only need one good #1, and a decent backup which I hope would be thrown in with any trade.

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#221 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I don't see it that way at all. Schneids was put into no win situations, and aside from the first game, he has played very well. Luongo is playing well also, but, to me, he is being played with a purpose beyond wins for the Canucks

lol how was Schneider put into no win situations?

#222 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well, he never said he wasn't going to trade him either. There's a difference between saying you are not going to trade someone and not saying you are going to trade someone.
Just sayin'.

I don't put much stock into what a GM says publicly cause most of the time they're just feeding the media whatever they want to hear. we won't know what he's thinking until he finally makes a move

#223 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

If we trade Schneider.

It will be like if Montreal traded Price instead of Halak, it is something we will regret. Just watch.

Not at all. Halak and Luongo are universes apart in talent. Schneider might be as good as Price but still very unproven, with a stumble out of the gate. Nothing is for sure right now; a Luongo trade, Schneider's abilities...

Keep them both, trade Schneider at the deadline for a super package of much needed help.

#224 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,484 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Not at all. Halak and Luongo are universes apart in talent. Schneider might be as good as Price but still very unproven, with a stumble out of the gate. Nothing is for sure right now; a Luongo trade, Schneider's abilities...

Keep them both, trade Schneider at the deadline for a super package of much needed help.

Price > the other 3

And what do you expect to get in this "super package" that will help us greatly? It won't happen.

zackass.png

#225 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

In a nutshell, the Canucks are obviously going to entertain offers for both goalies. We can argue about who is more valuable or who will fetch more in a trade all we want, but the fact is both these goalies are valuable commodities to any team in need of top notch goaltending. One is an experienced goalie still in his prime who is probably one of the top goalies of the past decade, while the other one is perhaps the best young goalie in the league whose best years are still to come.

It would be foolish of Gillis just to decide on one and only shop the other. Likely, Canucks brass has chosen one who they would rather go forward with, which common sense dictates would be the younger, cheaper Schneider, but they will certainly listen to offers for both because, quite frankly, both will attract pretty significant returns.

I'll pick guys like Price, Crawford, Rask and Quick over Schneider, maybe even Lindback, only Crawford is older than Schneider and it's by one year, I've named you 5 keepers, they are all #1 on their team, their proof are all made, except Lindback but he is the youngest one of the group.

In 2012, in Sotchi you'll see Price(CAN), Rask(FIN), Quick(USA), Lindback(SWE), Crawford won't be there too much high skill keepers for team Canada, Rask will be there we just don't know if he will be the starter or a backup, mostly depend on if Kiprusoff want to go in Russia or take a break. For the USA, Miller always have his place with them, Quick will be there and if we have a "new" Luongo in Ott they have a "new" Anderson after they train with Allaire, so in my mind if he continu like that he'll be #3. For team Sweden you'll see king Lundqvist, #2 will be Lindback if they don't have someone who they think that will be better than him who play in Europe.

If we was that sure Schneider would become an elite goaltender, never Luongo would have been inked for that long and Mike Gillis wouldn't have been affraid to trade him for picks and prospects, what I'm pretty sure other teams are willing to give.

As a keeper myself, I really like what I see from Schneider, but I'm just not sure he have all what it take to play 60 games per year, other than Hasek and Thomas, can you give me other goalers that became a great #1 at about 30 years old?

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#226 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,484 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

First of all how does anyone know that Luongo provides the best opportunity to win a cup now. Because four games in he's posted some good numbers. Craig Anderson has posted better numbers does that mean he's a better option. Cory Schneider has yet to be giving the opportunity to show he is capable. Again if you remove the first game out of the equation, Cory's numbers don’t look have bad (1.66 GAA). In fact if everyone wants to forget about the past and based their judgement on this year alone, both goalies only have 2 wins, ONLY 2 wins, not enough to even us one round of playoffs and yet people are already considering Luongo the best chance to win. Seriously you don’t make a decision that has long term implications (next ten years) based on less than NHL 10 games.

Secondly, is everyone surprised that Luongo is playing good, He is a world class goalie and has always posted good regular season numbers, why the sudden shock? “Oh no Luongo played a few good games we better keep him for the next ten years and trade away our future”

Thirdly, People can say all they want, "that our window is closing, the team is getting older and we are now in a win NOW attitude". Well if our players are starting decline what makes anyone think Luongo will get it done now when he didn’t get it done when all our players were at the top of their games. In the big games our goalie needs to be bailing us out.

The fact of the matter is that this team doesn’t need to go make or break this year and mortgage our future. Trading Luongo is our best option for this team to be a contender for years to come. Consider the Calgary flames. It’s been over 4 years now where Calgary has considered the option of trading Iginla. They’ve held onto him year after year believing that with him the team could make playoffs and make another run for the cup like they did in 04. They’ve held onto him and his value has dropped and dropped. Now Calgary is nowhere near a cup run and haven’t made the playoffs since 09 and will not get near the value they could have, imagine what they could have got for him 4 years ago. Now the difference between us and Calgary is we have someone to replace our star, we don’t have to go into rebuild mode, and we have a goalie right now that can take over the number one position. We’ve been very fortunate to have a number of great seasons, which in turn hurt us In the drafting (drafting 24th-29th) If we can trade Luongo for some youth (role player, prospect, pick) we can remain a cup competitive team long after the twins slow down. It’s what makes sense. Luongo is the right option to trade, and he will likely go somewhere and still be a great goalie.

Wish I had a few more pluses I could give you, have been trying to stress the exact same points since this situation arose.

No one should be surprised Lu is playing great, he has always done it, It doesn't change anything Schneider is still our guy moving forward and is the better option.

I don't buy the "Luongo has matured" argument for the playoffs either, I have no reason to believe Luongo won't have another up and down post season.

zackass.png

#227 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

so far the season has shown that Cory wasn't ready to be number 1 with Lui as his backup. Lui stole the number 1 job back obviously.
I don't care who gets the job, as long merit dictates it. So far AV is doing what it takes to win.

MG on the other can afford to keep them both for this yr. He needs to get significant offers that can upgrade the team, otherwise the team has a better chance winning keeping both. As for long term argument, I think that is not important since both goalies will be pretty good for many yrs to come. But the team might not. The window to win is now.

1 bad game??? That's enough for you to show Cory isn't ready for the number 1 role.. WTF.....

#228 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

You see that's where you and those that want to keep BOTH goalies are wrong. There is no equivalent between the goalie position and a forward position because a coach has an option to play Crosby and Malkin on the same line, even if he didn't start the game that way, in order to generate some needed shot of offense. Unfortunately AV can't shove Lu and Schneids in next to each other in net if he thinks he needs to shut the barn door.

Would it be nice to have both of them....yes. But the alternative, of getting back a proven playoff performer skater (either offensive or defensive) to add to the team is much more beneficial in practical terms. Especially if you are looking at a limited window of opportunity for the Canucks. We only need one good #1, and a decent backup which I hope would be thrown in with any trade.

I wasn't suggesting that both should stay long term. I'm well aware that that's not an option. I specifically said that I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

#229 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'll pick guys like Price, Crawford, Rask and Quick over Schneider, maybe even Lindback, only Crawford is older than Schneider and it's by one year, I've named you 5 keepers, they are all #1 on their team, their proof are all made, except Lindback but he is the youngest one of the group.

In 2012, in Sotchi you'll see Price(CAN), Rask(FIN), Quick(USA), Lindback(SWE), Crawford won't be there too much high skill keepers for team Canada, Rask will be there we just don't know if he will be the starter or a backup, mostly depend on if Kiprusoff want to go in Russia or take a break. For the USA, Miller always have his place with them, Quick will be there and if we have a "new" Luongo in Ott they have a "new" Anderson after they train with Allaire, so in my mind if he continu like that he'll be #3. For team Sweden you'll see king Lundqvist, #2 will be Lindback if they don't have someone who they think that will be better than him who play in Europe.

If we was that sure Schneider would become an elite goaltender, never Luongo would have been inked for that long and Mike Gillis wouldn't have been affraid to trade him for picks and prospects, what I'm pretty sure other teams are willing to give.

As a keeper myself, I really like what I see from Schneider, but I'm just not sure he have all what it take to play 60 games per year, other than Hasek and Thomas, can you give me other goalers that became a great #1 at about 30 years old?

Wow at this post. Just wow. Lol.

You'd take Anders Lindback over Schneider? Really?

#230 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Cory is 26 a long way from 30, especially in hockey. Lou's contract was that long to be cap friendly, had nothing to do with how they thought Cory would turn out. None of the goalies you listed had an all-star goalie (Rask only)in their way to the number one position. None of the young goalies listed would be starters in Van, until mybe this year, just like Cory.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 04 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#231 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Do people actually think Luongo will keep playing at this level if Schneider is traded and the entire pressure falls on him again? He's playing with ZERO pressure right now, of course he's going to play loose. But we know how he can get when the pressure gets to him and he lets one weak goal in.

In 68 games Schneider has a 38-17-4 record with a 2.24 GGA and .928 S%. I've seen goalies with lessor numbers and lessor games played handed starting duties. Schneider has earned his dues in the AHL for four seasons, a backup for 2 in the NHL, it is now his time.

Also, this talk about playing the hot hand is bull****, Luongo got a start immediately after Schneider's SO win over San Jose. I know they're playing Luongo to shop him, but it still isn't fair to Schneider who's numbers prove the team has just as much of a chance to win with him than Lu

#232 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Do people actually think Luongo will keep playing at this level if Schneider is traded and the entire pressure falls on him again? He's playing with ZERO pressure right now, of course he's going to play loose. But we know how he can get when the pressure gets to him and he lets one weak goal in.

In 68 games Schneider has a 38-17-4 record with a 2.24 GGA and .928 S%. I've seen goalies with lessor numbers and lessor games played handed starting duties. Schneider has earned his dues in the AHL for four seasons, a backup for 2 in the NHL, it is now his time.

Also, this talk about playing the hot hand is bull****, Luongo got a start immediately after Schneider's SO win over San Jose. I know they're playing Luongo to shop him, but it still isn't fair to Schneider who's numbers prove the team has just as much of a chance to win with him than Lu

We lost 4-1 to San Jose....

they aren't shopping Luongo, they're playing him because he's the better goalie right now.

Edited by Primus099, 04 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#233 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

If we trade him Mike Gillis and the entire Canucks Organization will look bad.

canucks141.png

#234 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Does an Orca poo on the ocean?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#235 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Those factors make more teams interested in Schneids, but not necessarily worth more. The Luongo supporters are claiming that Lu is an elite, top 5, world class goalie who will continue to play well into his late 30's. While at the same time, Cory is an unproven goalie who has potential.

Given those details, shouldn't Lu receive more in a trade?

If more teams are interested, that should drive up his value.

And since when did people on CDC think Lu had good trade value? Amazing what a few good games will do.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#236 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

As important I forgot to mention the obvious.

Cory Schneider brings in a better return, for a team ready to win NOW.

This is what I've been saying since the very beginning of the controversy. It's not that I dislike Schneider, it's just that with his age and contract and what he has proven so far, he would bring more than Luongo right now.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#237 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

If we trade him Mike Gillis and the entire Canucks Organization will look bad.

I totally agree. Trading Cory could hve long-term ramifications in trying to draft and develop future talent.

Cory was drafted by the Nucks, played 4 years in junior honing his skills in their system and now 2 as a back-up in the NHL. He played the big games last year (Boston etc) and stepped in to the pressure-cooker of the playoffs against LA and played superb.

He has been a good soldier and teammate and his path has been exactly the kind of development MG has said he wants for this team. To develop him to this point and make him wait 6 years only to trade him would be a major black eye for the organization.

Lu has been great here but he came for the money (Florida couldn't/wouldn't pay him what he was gong to ask) and stayed because he got what was the biggest contract in the NHL at the time. He is a hired gun, albeit a long term one.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 05 February 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#238 Canuckid1990

Canuckid1990

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I am so sick of everyone saying Lou has break downs in the playoffs have you not seen the team in front of him? they have played just as bad and if it wasn't for Lou we wouldn't have back to back president's trophy and we wouldn't have gone to the finals and yet you want to give the job to a guy who hasn't even played a full season.... I say keep the guy who's made us a contender since hes been here!

#239 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

I am so sick of everyone saying Lou has break downs in the playoffs have you not seen the team in front of him? they have played just as bad and if it wasn't for Lou we wouldn't have back to back president's trophy and we wouldn't have gone to the finals and yet you want to give the job to a guy who hasn't even played a full season.... I say keep the guy who's made us a contender since hes been here!

Whose job is it to stop the puck?

It's a little too simple to say a win is the goalie and a loss is the team in front of the goalie.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#240 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

If Lu is still not traded by this off season, assuming he has a strong year, we have to come to the conclusion that either no other GM is willing to take on the contract, or Gillis' asking price (whatever it is) is too high. And we have to be realistic and field the market for Schneider.

I think the theory that management is unsured about both of them is not unfounded. With Schneider they are not sure how he would handle being a #1 in the NHL, with Luongo they are afraid of meltdowns in the playoffs. I think both MG and AV are playing this day or day, game by game, which in my opinion is the best way to go.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.