The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

I really really hope MG is not stupid enough to abandon his plans to move Luongo and keep Schneider as our #1 going forward.

Can you IMAGINE what would happen in this town if Lu, now alone and with all the pressure back on his shoulders, melts down again in the playoffs? And Schneider goes on to be spectacular playing on another team? Maybe even playing for another team in this years playoffs?

That would be the end of Mike Gillis in Vancouver.

What I hope, and assume, is that Lu is being showcased while he's on a role. Not because other GMs need to be educated on Roberto, but just to keep him in the limelight and remind the GMs of his potential. It can't hurt, lets put it that way.

As a supporter of Schneider being our #1, Lu playing so well is the best possible scenario for the team and its fans. Although I think its a mistake to let Cory rust on the bench TOO long. That means it will speed up the bidding war and get the deal done sooner rather than later.

I loved having Lu as our goalie, but its time to move on. He had his last chance starting last years playoffs, despite his backup having better numbers, and he blew it. Letting in 7 goals in 2 games with a .891 SP and 3.59 GA.

I only hope Schneids can continue to reign in his frustrations a little while longer and this doesn't fester into bad blood battle with AV even after Lu is gone. Because we all know who wins with that.

people are thinking trading Schneider will get us more so that would probably get us a player that would help us right now and improve the team in front of Luongo, can't complain about that. But then it could backfire if Lu meltsdown or Schneider goes and becomes a superstar on the team we traded him to

or if you build for the future instead and trade Luongo for draft picks/prospects etc. and hope Schneider becomes the elite goalie everyone hopes he will be.

it's a gamble either way.

If Luongo wants to stay here then trade Schneider.

The fact is that this is a team that's built to win now, not a team that's built to win 5 years from now. Luongo gives us the best chance to win this year and for the next few years.

However, if Luongo doesn't want to be here then you have to trade him. He has publicly stated multiple times that Vancouver isn't in HIS long-term plans, so it seems like we're going to have to trade him at some point. It's not good for player relations or agent relations to hold onto a guy who doesn't want to be there, not to mention potential locker room conflicts (Luongo is well-liked and all, but if he starts to struggle, which all goalies do, questions will be raised by his teammates about his commitment level).

At the end of the day, I think we're going to end up keeping Schneider and trading Luongo. As for when that actually happens, your guess is as good as mine.

Alright, we seem to have that comparison in a different context, as I said specifics and circumstances are different, but the picture is basically the same, they went with the younger guy with high upside against fan opinion and it turned out to be the correct move.

Either way lets just put that aside anyways.

The perception and basis behind trading Schneider, is to improve our teams chances for this year right? By perceivably adding a star/impact player right?

How realistic is that? That's very unlikely to happen, odds are the deal we get will be a package of futures, they will be of higher quality of those we will get for Roberto, but the basis of moving Schneider (If you have that opinion for the better of the team, not for a personal bias toward Lu) is that it will make our team alot better for a cup run, futures don't do that.

Schneider is the more valuable piece to us aswell, not just to other teams, so if we are accepting futures in return for either goalie, I would just keep Schneider and Luongo for the time being, then trade Luongo for futures in the offseason.

Wow - a lot of bending of facts here.

A few points I'd like to mention:

First, Luongo has never said he wanted out of Vancouver as far as I know. He did say that he wouldn't want to play more than this year in Vancouver, but that was with the assumption he'd be playing backup to Schneider. When he wins his games and celebrates the win with the team on the ice, I think he looks happy actually.

Schneider would probably get a better return since he has a shorter, cheaper contract and more potential to improve whereas Luongo is at his peak already.

We can't just sign a guy for a few years, tell him he will be our #1, and then end up trading him. Plus, as has been pointed out, if he plays stellar for that other team and Luongo craps the bed in the playoffs, Gillis would probably lose his job.

Eventually, Luongo will be traded and Schneider will be the starter. Simple as that.

First, Luongo has never said he wanted out of Vancouver as far as I know. He did say that he wouldn't want to play more than this year in Vancouver, but that was with the assumption he'd be playing backup to Schneider. When he wins his games and celebrates the win with the team on the ice, I think he looks happy actually.

Schneider would probably get a better return since he has a shorter, cheaper contract and more potential to improve whereas Luongo is at his peak already.

We can't just sign a guy for a few years, tell him he will be our #1, and then end up trading him. Plus, as has been pointed out, if he plays stellar for that other team and Luongo craps the bed in the playoffs, Gillis would probably lose his job.

Eventually, Luongo will be traded and Schneider will be the starter. Simple as that.

Its probably due to sentimental value Luongo has brought to this team that makes me favour him over Schneider.

But than again Luongo is the franchise leading goalie for wins and shutouts for this team? Is he not the goalie with the second most winning goalie active in the leauge, behind no greater than Martin Brodeur a legend? Is Luongo not an already acccomplished goaltender with a pedigree nobody would pass up on?

Honestly I was pretty upset with Cody Hodgson leaving, but if Luongo went, I would be devastated.

Schneider had a bad game against Anaheim but has played very well since . The team got killed against the Sharks and one can;t fault Schneids for that one. He is still a fundamentally better goalie than Lou. Lou is hot now, the team is playing better and Lou has some puck luck (goal posts, nob of stick). Hes a streaky goalie but Schneids is more consistant and I believe is the future.

Archived