The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

BurnabyJoe

I have nothing against Cory Schneider and believe he isn't far away from elite goaltender status.

But he is still very unproven in comparison to Roberto Luongo.

With Luongo we get critical (and often overlooked) playoff experience and what no doubt is a much more mature goaltender than in years past.

He just might be our best option this spring.

Yes you could say I'm too into the current Luongo love-in. But we're we not all a little hysterical in anointing Cory Schneider our undisputed #1?

Yes he signed a 3 year deal under the presumption he'd be here, starting. But Roberto Luongo the man who has backstopped this team the past 6 seasons, signed a 12 year deal ALSO in good faith assuming he'd be here the rest of his career.

I know, the decision was made for on ice reasons only. But so is this one. Strictly business.

Do the Canucks not have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? If it makes the team better, it would be simply insane not to.

lol puck luck and the team is playing better? in Schneider's 4 games the team scored 13 goals. we've scored 6 goals in the last 3 games with Luongo, that's hardly stellar offense. Luongo has absolutely shut the other teams down and is the biggest reason we won the last 2 and the biggest reason we were even in it at all against the Kings.

There's a difference between Player Value and Trade Value.

For example, Lappy is a fan favorite and has the potential to be a fantastic 3rd liner for us (been playing pretty crappy of late though). What can he get on the open market though? Probably a late draft pick or something useless; however, to us he is worth much more than that.

In Schneider's case, he's not as valuable to us than to lets say, Toronto. Obviously this is only true because of Luongo.. Schneider also has more trade value because he is younger, and hasn't exactly solidified himself into an organization like Luongo has.

Im not sure by what measure everyone thinks that Schneider will bring back a greater return? Luongo has at least 5 years left in him and has shown no signs of slowing down whatsoever. In fact, he has actually shown improvement in his game. Schnieder is great, but he is also unproven. With Luongo you know exactly what you will get.

His contract is also nothing of the albatross that people are making it out to be. At 5.3 his cap hit is very reasonable, and in 5 years his salary is cheaper than his cap hit making him extremely attractive to teams trying to reach the cap floor without having to spend.

Cory is the future of this team. I have no doubt thats who we will be going forward with, whether by the trade deadline or moving Lu in the off season.

While I still don't agree with your Montreal theory, it doesn't matter anyway since it's completely different players and the outcome will be totally different.

And yes I think trading Cory will help the team now more than trading Lu. Who's to say that Lu will get us an impact player whereas Cory will only get us a future package?

If we keep Lu, then by the time he retires, one of our minor goalies can take his place. So I'm not worried about goaltending for the future.

Personally I think the major issue is Lack's injury. A healthy Lack provides a potentially strong replacement for Schneider in 2-4 years when Lu's window is gone (yes I know there is no guarantee of success but he is tracking incredibly strong).

The issue now will be how Lack recovers from what is a major surgery for a goalie. Does he rehab well and not miss a beat or does he become a Dipietro type where an injury holds him back.

I don't think either will get us impact players, both will get us a package of futures, niether would help us significantly right now if it all. The basis behind trading Cory would be to get a impact/star player without overpaying, that won't happen, therefore Cory shouldn't go. Right now they are equal, they both give us equal opportunity to win currently, and Schneider is the better option for the future.

Unless a deal for Cory adds an impact player that we need without overpaying and would make sense in the long run, or we get a future asset that is just remarkably good and more valuable than Cory. If those don't happen, then we keep him and Roberto is the one on the market.

And then unless a deal for Roberto helps us out right now and adds an impact player, or gives us a package of futures that we know likely won't be avaliable in the offseason, then we keep Roberto for now aswell and move him in the offseason for futures.

Unless a deal for Cory is remarkably good, he's the one who stays, we have already alienated Roberto and he wants to go elsewhere anyways.

Loungo is a great regular season goalie. Come playoffs he melts down against certain teams, ( Chicago 3 years in a row, Boston!!) We can't win with him. Trade him now while he's playing well. Cory is def good enough to win, he jus needs his chance as #1.

Loungo is a great regular season goalie. Come playoffs he melts down against certain teams, ( Chicago 3 years in a row, Boston!!) We can't win with him. Trade him now while he's playing well. Cory is def good enough to win, he jus needs his chance as #1.

I don't get the comparison though.

Price was more established and proven at the time (and in our case this is definitely Luongo)

Halak was the unproven goalie who was brilliant when he was given chances to play (our Schneider)

So according to that comparison, if we trade Luongo (Price) then we will regret it? (But of course there is the age factor)

Choosing the player with "sky high upside" might not always work out. Islanders chose Rick Dipietro who was projected to be an elite goaltender in the NHL over Luongo, tell me how that worked out?

(The situation with the Islanders was different than the one with the Canucks...I'm just trying to say that choosing potential might not always work out)

Archived