57 replies to this topic

#1 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

#2 tera_ha

tera_ha

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

I think they will be able to sign all of them :frantic:

#3 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

If they can't sign them all, they'll make some trades.

Having valuable assets is never a bad thing. Only the Toronto media would try to make one think otherwise ...

#4 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

They've already extended Hall and Eberle. Next is RNH, and that's not for another 2 years. Yakupov and Schultz still have 3 year ELCs, so no immediate concerns for the Oilers.

Assuming you are right, let's be crazy and say between the 5 of them they average 6m cap hits over the length of their contracts. That's 30m tied up in 5 players, and judging by consistent cap growth I'd say they'd be fine to throw that kind of money at stars that could be around for the next decade.

To give you an idea, the twins, Kesler, and Booth cost us 21.5m up front. RNH, Hall, Eberle and Yakupov based on the 6m average between them cost 24m comparatively. They'll be fine.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

I agree, they will not be able to hold on to all their talent long term. But I don't harbour any fear for them for a completely different reason- they are not, and will not be, a team that is built for playoff success. They will see their regular season accolades, but the fact is that Oilers are a very soft team, and it's hard to see them ever fixing that. Over the course of a 7 game series, they WILL be worn down. Let them try to grind it out against the Blues or Kings, or the Rangers and Bruins in the East, and they will fold easily and early. Point to the Penguins as an indication that star power does prevail, but none of these Oilers young guns are a Crosby or Malkin.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#6 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

They will be fine because when its time to move some players for some cap space the GM will trade horcoff and hemsky.Also they dont have 5 d-man making more than 4 million like the canucks do, so they will be fine.
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#7 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

By the time all of these players, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov, start earning around 6M a year, as well as Dubnyk going for around 4-5M, they would have somehow already managed to make cap space to sign them for that long.. Horcoff will be long gone by then. Hemsky could be a traded away if he's still on the team. Gagner won't be demanding much, or he'll be gone. Belanger, Smyth both gone. Khabibulan off the books. Whitney probably getting re-signed for much less than what he's worth right now. Same with Nick Schultz and Ladislav Smid. Both are way overpaid.

Thats in around 3 or 4 years. By then, they would have freed up about 12M+ cap space and they can just fill their roster holes with spects or grinders via free agency. Let's not forget about Paajarvi but he won't be getting anywhere close to 3M+ just yet..

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 03 February 2013 - 06:08 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I remember the early 90s too.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

That could of had a starting line-up as good as the Chicago Blackhawks if they drafted Murray instead of Yak

Hall - RNH - Ebere
Murray - Schultz

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#10 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

You speak of their wealth of young talent as though it's a bad thing. Having too many valuable assets than can reasonably be retained is not a problem. It is a very good thing.

Worst case scenario is the Oilers are forced to trade one or two of their young stars. Was it a bad thing when Boston had to deal Kessel for cap reasons? The Oilers will just add some more young, affordable stars.

EDIT: look at what happened in Chicago. They had a surplus of young talent and were forced to trade some of it away for futures assets. But not until after having won a Stanley Cup. And now the assets recouped in the trades of Byfuglien, Ladd and Versteeg are starting to bear fruit. They again look like a Cup contender. Is that a bad situation?

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 03 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#11 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Teams follow the Chicago method now. Get a bunch of young guys, go for (and hopefully win) the cup, and then dismantle the team. That's the new paradigm for NHL success, it would seem.

#12 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

See Chicago.

#13 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

They could trade Yakupov once his ELC is done. That way they would get to see some of his most exciting years of hockey plus by that time Hall, Eberle and RNH should be developed enough to carry most of the teams offence.

#14 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

OP is secretly hoping this turns into a VAN - EDM trade proposal thread

#15 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

they will win a cup before they have to blow up the team and if they are contenders for a few years i could see most of the core signing discount contracts to be a part of a dominant Oilers team for a few years then get there payday after that.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#16 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,319 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't see them winning more than a couple rounds with this core. They don't have any foot soldiers as talented as Bolland and Ladd, or Norris type d-men like Keith.

Subbancopy.jpg

#17 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Throughout most of the 90's and most of the 2000's (the exception being their '05 run), they have a trouble keeping talented players. List of name players that were part of their system but left for whatever reasons: Doug Weight, Jason Arnott, Bill Guerin, Ryan Smith (when he was an UFA), Miroslav Satan, Anson Carter, Janne Niinimaa.

Dedmonton isn't the most flashiest of cities in North America, and for all intent and purpose, they're a small market team. Assuming the owners can afford all that salary in the future, convincing talents to stay may be even more difficult (eg. Chris Pronger).

#18 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

can't really compare them to the talented '10 blackhawk squad that had to get blown up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 BiriBiri

BiriBiri

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

they will win a cup before they have to blow up the team and if they are contenders for a few years i could see most of the core signing discount contracts to be a part of a dominant Oilers team for a few years then get there payday after that.

I hope they never win a cup, never again. The hawks, queens or the bruins I wouldn't mind if they win again, but NEVER these guys.

#20 tera_ha

tera_ha

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

If anything, I really doubt they will trade Yakupov. he still has much to prove but so far he has shown a lot of potential. He could turn out to be the best pick of 3 :)

#21 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

If they can keep there top 6, top d pairing and starter under 50 mill than cap growth will take care of the rest, ownership just needs to be willing to ice a cap ceiling team
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#22 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

As many have stated already, having an abundance of assets is not a bad thing. Yes, there is a high probability that the Oilers will be unable to keep RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yak; but that doesn't mean they will lose them for nothing. They did get themselves into trouble by signing Hall to his $6M contract, which will come back to bite them. Should Yakupov outplay Hall, he will command easily over $7M, while RNH will probably get between $6.5-$7M as well.

As for Schultz, he made the best move for his career by signing with the Oilers. He'll pad his stats playing with that group and either re-sign there for a huge payday, or go the UFA route and sign big somewhere else. Best move he could have done.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#23 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

not really, they have Horcoff coming off the books when Nail is up for a new contract. Hemsky will be off the books for RNG, although I think they will re-sign him to a short term deal.

PITS has been rolling with Crosby (1st), Fleury (1st), Malkin (2nd). Also Staal (2nd) who was just traded in the summer.

and you haven't provided any cap numbers to backup your claim

#24 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I can't imagine any team not wanting to have that problem.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#25 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

NO!!!!!!!!!
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#26 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

As many have stated already, having an abundance of assets is not a bad thing. Yes, there is a high probability that the Oilers will be unable to keep RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yak; but that doesn't mean they will lose them for nothing. They did get themselves into trouble by signing Hall to his $6M contract, which will come back to bite them. Should Yakupov outplay Hall, he will command easily over $7M, while RNH will probably get between $6.5-$7M as well.

As for Schultz, he made the best move for his career by signing with the Oilers. He'll pad his stats playing with that group and either re-sign there for a huge payday, or go the UFA route and sign big somewhere else. Best move he could have done.

Hall has an explosive game. So long as he stays healthy, I think that contract will be decent value for the Oilers. And if it does handcuff them when Yak and Nuge are up for new contracts, I still think he'll have pretty good trade value with that contract. Not sure whether it includes a NTC or NMC, though.

#27 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hall has an explosive game. So long as he stays healthy, I think that contract will be decent value for the Oilers. And if it does handcuff them when Yak and Nuge are up for new contracts, I still think he'll have pretty good trade value with that contract. Not sure whether it includes a NTC or NMC, though.

Sorry, I probably should have explained it a little more. First off, I do agree that Hall has "an explosive game." However, they really did overpay him by at least $750,000-$1,000,000. By not being able to sign him to a smaller contract, they will inevitably have to pay Schultz, RNH, and Yakupov more than they probably could have (ie: home town discounts). Since they overpaid Hall, they will have to overpay the other two forwards, assuming they outplay Hall. Hopefully, for the Oilers sake, they can make it work. But it was poor contract management on their end.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#28 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think you haven't think this through, they will likely look really similar to us.

Hall and Eberle are signed at 6millions each = Sedins at 6.1M each

Yakupov and RNH will likely sign at around 6M too = Kesler at 5M, Booth at 4M, Burrows 2M (currently)

Justin Schultz 4M = Edler at 4M (now), that is IF Schultz even live up to expectations

I don't think they Oilers are that much in troubles, at least not more than us. Horcoff, Smyth, Whitney, Gagner will likely be gone by the time Yakupov and RNH get out of their ELC.

PLus the Oilers don't have 2 goaliers at 4-5M each, and their defensemen #2-3-4 aren't paid over 4M like us.

I don't see a problem at all for the Oilers, with that Top 4 are great players, they aren't worth Malkin and Crosby at 9M each.

#29 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think the Oilers main troubles aren't going to be cost, they are going to be defense and goaltending. Also, they won't be able to survive a 7 game series against bigger teams that will grind them to dust.

#30 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sorry, I probably should have explained it a little more. First off, I do agree that Hall has "an explosive game." However, they really did overpay him by at least $750,000-$1,000,000. By not being able to sign him to a smaller contract, they will inevitably have to pay Schultz, RNH, and Yakupov more than they probably could have (ie: home town discounts). Since they overpaid Hall, they will have to overpay the other two forwards, assuming they outplay Hall. Hopefully, for the Oilers sake, they can make it work. But it was poor contract management on their end.

That's a good point.

They'll have to hope that Hall plays into that contract range. Given he signed the extension a year before his current deal expires, they obviously were paying for potential in addition to results to date.

He's now tied with Gagner for the team lead in points. If he stays healthy, keeps up with Ebs and finishes with around 50 points, the contract will look good.

EDIT: Nuge is the one who is underperforming right now. If he doesn't pick it up, they may get him signed to an extension in the $4-5M range (in which case, it would probably be a relatively short contract).

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 04 February 2013 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.