The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Edmonton Oilers are financially screwed for the future

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

They've already extended Hall and Eberle. Next is RNH, and that's not for another 2 years. Yakupov and Schultz still have 3 year ELCs, so no immediate concerns for the Oilers.

Assuming you are right, let's be crazy and say between the 5 of them they average 6m cap hits over the length of their contracts. That's 30m tied up in 5 players, and judging by consistent cap growth I'd say they'd be fine to throw that kind of money at stars that could be around for the next decade.

To give you an idea, the twins, Kesler, and Booth cost us 21.5m up front. RNH, Hall, Eberle and Yakupov based on the 6m average between them cost 24m comparatively. They'll be fine.

I agree, they will not be able to hold on to all their talent long term. But I don't harbour any fear for them for a completely different reason- they are not, and will not be, a team that is built for playoff success. They will see their regular season accolades, but the fact is that Oilers are a very soft team, and it's hard to see them ever fixing that. Over the course of a 7 game series, they WILL be worn down. Let them try to grind it out against the Blues or Kings, or the Rangers and Bruins in the East, and they will fold easily and early. Point to the Penguins as an indication that star power does prevail, but none of these Oilers young guns are a Crosby or Malkin.

By the time all of these players, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov, start earning around 6M a year, as well as Dubnyk going for around 4-5M, they would have somehow already managed to make cap space to sign them for that long.. Horcoff will be long gone by then. Hemsky could be a traded away if he's still on the team. Gagner won't be demanding much, or he'll be gone. Belanger, Smyth both gone. Khabibulan off the books. Whitney probably getting re-signed for much less than what he's worth right now. Same with Nick Schultz and Ladislav Smid. Both are way overpaid.

Thats in around 3 or 4 years. By then, they would have freed up about 12M+ cap space and they can just fill their roster holes with spects or grinders via free agency. Let's not forget about Paajarvi but he won't be getting anywhere close to 3M+ just yet..

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

they will win a cup before they have to blow up the team and if they are contenders for a few years i could see most of the core signing discount contracts to be a part of a dominant Oilers team for a few years then get there payday after that.

Throughout most of the 90's and most of the 2000's (the exception being their '05 run), they have a trouble keeping talented players. List of name players that were part of their system but left for whatever reasons: Doug Weight, Jason Arnott, Bill Guerin, Ryan Smith (when he was an UFA), Miroslav Satan, Anson Carter, Janne Niinimaa.

Dedmonton isn't the most flashiest of cities in North America, and for all intent and purpose, they're a small market team. Assuming the owners can afford all that salary in the future, convincing talents to stay may be even more difficult (eg. Chris Pronger).

Archived