The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Edmonton Oilers are financially screwed for the future

As many have stated already, having an abundance of assets is not a bad thing. Yes, there is a high probability that the Oilers will be unable to keep RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yak; but that doesn't mean they will lose them for nothing. They did get themselves into trouble by signing Hall to his $6M contract, which will come back to bite them. Should Yakupov outplay Hall, he will command easily over $7M, while RNH will probably get between $6.5-$7M as well.

As for Schultz, he made the best move for his career by signing with the Oilers. He'll pad his stats playing with that group and either re-sign there for a huge payday, or go the UFA route and sign big somewhere else. Best move he could have done.

not really, they have Horcoff coming off the books when Nail is up for a new contract. Hemsky will be off the books for RNG, although I think they will re-sign him to a short term deal.

PITS has been rolling with Crosby (1st), Fleury (1st), Malkin (2nd). Also Staal (2nd) who was just traded in the summer.

and you haven't provided any cap numbers to backup your claim

As many have stated already, having an abundance of assets is not a bad thing. Yes, there is a high probability that the Oilers will be unable to keep RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yak; but that doesn't mean they will lose them for nothing. They did get themselves into trouble by signing Hall to his $6M contract, which will come back to bite them. Should Yakupov outplay Hall, he will command easily over $7M, while RNH will probably get between $6.5-$7M as well.

As for Schultz, he made the best move for his career by signing with the Oilers. He'll pad his stats playing with that group and either re-sign there for a huge payday, or go the UFA route and sign big somewhere else. Best move he could have done.

Hall has an explosive game. So long as he stays healthy, I think that contract will be decent value for the Oilers. And if it does handcuff them when Yak and Nuge are up for new contracts, I still think he'll have pretty good trade value with that contract. Not sure whether it includes a NTC or NMC, though.

I think you haven't think this through, they will likely look really similar to us.

Hall and Eberle are signed at 6millions each = Sedins at 6.1M each

Yakupov and RNH will likely sign at around 6M too = Kesler at 5M, Booth at 4M, Burrows 2M (currently)

Justin Schultz 4M = Edler at 4M (now), that is IF Schultz even live up to expectations

I don't think they Oilers are that much in troubles, at least not more than us. Horcoff, Smyth, Whitney, Gagner will likely be gone by the time Yakupov and RNH get out of their ELC.

PLus the Oilers don't have 2 goaliers at 4-5M each, and their defensemen #2-3-4 aren't paid over 4M like us.

I don't see a problem at all for the Oilers, with that Top 4 are great players, they aren't worth Malkin and Crosby at 9M each.

I think the Oilers main troubles aren't going to be cost, they are going to be defense and goaltending. Also, they won't be able to survive a 7 game series against bigger teams that will grind them to dust.

Sorry, I probably should have explained it a little more. First off, I do agree that Hall has "an explosive game." However, they really did overpay him by at least $750,000-$1,000,000. By not being able to sign him to a smaller contract, they will inevitably have to pay Schultz, RNH, and Yakupov more than they probably could have (ie: home town discounts). Since they overpaid Hall, they will have to overpay the other two forwards, assuming they outplay Hall. Hopefully, for the Oilers sake, they can make it work. But it was poor contract management on their end.

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

Sam Gagner is not often mentioned when people speak of the Oilers' young stars. But he's an impending RFA, who so far this year has shown himself worthy of a lucrative extension. He's been arguably their best player to date this season.

Hall plays the Bolland/Ladd game better than either of them already. And that Schultz kid has Niedermayer written all over him (soooo jealous).

But they don't have near the depth pieces that Chicago amassed. No Seabrook, Campbell, Buffy, Versteeg, etc. But I will give them the edge on goaltending - I expect Dubnyk will be a level up from Niemi.

Archived