Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Edmonton Oilers are financially screwed for the future

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#31 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sam Gagner is not often mentioned when people speak of the Oilers' young stars. But he's an impending RFA, who so far this year has shown himself worthy of a lucrative extension. He's been arguably their best player to date this season.

#32 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

The Oilers have one of two options: pursue a Blackhawks strategy of stockpiling with high-end free agents while they have the space, so they can win the Cup before potentially having to do a salary dump. Or they could stand pat with their roster. May or may not win the Cup, but with so many restricted free agents, if others try to sign them away, they'll reap compensation bonanza. Either way, they're in pretty good shape.

#33 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

If Pittsburgh could hold onto Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fluery, and Staal (6yrs).

I'm sure Edmonton can find a way to hold onto Eberle, Hall, Shultz, Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins.

#34 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

If Pittsburgh could hold onto Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fluery, and Staal (6yrs).

I'm sure Edmonton can find a way to hold onto Eberle, Hall, Shultz, Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins.

The thing is, none of the Edmonton players will be as good as Crosby or Malkin. And another thing, Bylsma is the best coach in hockey, when 1 or both of those 2 are out of the lineup for a significant amount of time they still find ways to win. Edmonton has never been able to sign any player for less than max value because Edmonton is a dump of a city and no one wants to play there.

#35 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,125 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't see them winning more than a couple rounds with this core. They don't have any foot soldiers as talented as Bolland and Ladd, or Norris type d-men like Keith.

Hall plays the Bolland/Ladd game better than either of them already. And that Schultz kid has Niedermayer written all over him (soooo jealous).

But they don't have near the depth pieces that Chicago amassed. No Seabrook, Campbell, Buffy, Versteeg, etc. But I will give them the edge on goaltending - I expect Dubnyk will be a level up from Niemi.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#36 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,125 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Sam Gagner is not often mentioned when people speak of the Oilers' young stars. But he's an impending RFA, who so far this year has shown himself worthy of a lucrative extension. He's been arguably their best player to date this season.

Gagner has been great, but is a notoriously streaky player. Has been their worst faceoff guy as well. If Sam's demands are too high, I could see the Oilers trading him (but maybe not until the off-season).

PBF020-Skub.gif

#37 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Speaking of "financially screwed for the future" how's that Luongo trade going?

#38 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

If they can't sign them all, they'll make some trades.

Having valuable assets is never a bad thing. Only the Toronto media would try to make one think otherwise ...

agreed
Posted Image

#39 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Speaking of "financially screwed for the future" how's that Luongo trade going?

Good question. Is there a thread or threads dedicated to the Luongo trade that anyone knows about?

Edited by Monty, 05 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#40 Z.Kassian9

Z.Kassian9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hall plays the Bolland/Ladd game better than either of them already. And that Schultz kid has Niedermayer written all over him (soooo jealous).

But they don't have near the depth pieces that Chicago amassed. No Seabrook, Campbell, Buffy, Versteeg, etc. But I will give them the edge on goaltending - I expect Dubnyk will be a level up from Niemi.

Lol oh god Hall isn't even that great. He is the weakest out of all the other young guns they have on that team. RNJ<Eberle<Yakupov<Hall. He is injury prone as well. If I were Edmonton I would trade try to trade Hall and try to get a good D man or something back.

#41 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Teams follow the Chicago method now. Get a bunch of young guys, go for (and hopefully win) the cup, and then dismantle the team. That's the new paradigm for NHL success, it would seem.

Chicago stole the first part of that idea from Pittsburg...

#42 PartyTimeWithJeffCarter

PartyTimeWithJeffCarter

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Oilers are set, Horcoff is gone in a few years afterall
"Well I got a bad liver and broken heart,
I drunk me a river since you tore me apart
And I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink..." - Jeff Carter (probably)

#43 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

They've got to be the most overrated team right now!

#44 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

So much for the Oilers being able to gel in Oklahoma and carry it over to the NHL.

Hopkins has simply not produced.

#45 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

All the "superstars" in the lineup, yet, the Oilers are in last place year after year....lol.

#46 Virt 'n Kass

Virt 'n Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Someone needs to tell the Oilers that the "suck to get a bunch of young stars" phase of the plan is over.

#47 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

They can hold onto these players for a good long time. But ether way it's a good problem to have. Why would a team want to say they don't have to worry about the cap because the caliber talent of there roster is so poor they won't ever have to worry about paying them?

Plus keep in mind if they all develop and warrant those big paychecks they could still trade 1 away and get a huge return. Another superstar talent or elite prospects and high draft picks.

Someone needs to tell the Oilers that the "suck to get a bunch of young stars" phase of the plan is over.

Well keep in mind you have to give prospects time to develop. When Pittsburgh did it they had an easier time signing Free Agents and they still sucked.

A roster that featured..

- Sidney Crosby
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Recchi
- John Leclair
- Zigmund Palfy
- Sergei Gonchar
- Marc-Andre Fluery
- Brooks Oprik
- Ryan Malone
- Ryan Whitney
etc.

Team finished with 58 points in 29th of 30 teams. The next season they had 105 points with most of those guys gone. It will likely just turn on like a switch for Edmonton.

Posted Image

#48 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

They can hold onto these players for a good long time. But ether way it's a good problem to have. Why would a team want to say they don't have to worry about the cap because the caliber talent of there roster is so poor they won't ever have to worry about paying them?

Plus keep in mind if they all develop and warrant those big paychecks they could still trade 1 away and get a huge return. Another superstar talent or elite prospects and high draft picks.

Well keep in mind you have to give prospects time to develop. When Pittsburgh did it they had an easier time signing Free Agents and they still sucked.

A roster that featured..

- Sidney Crosby
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Recchi
- John Leclair
- Zigmund Palfy
- Sergei Gonchar
- Marc-Andre Fluery
- Brooks Oprik
- Ryan Malone
- Ryan Whitney
etc.

Team finished with 58 points in 29th of 30 teams. The next season they had 105 points with most of those guys gone. It will likely just turn on like a switch for Edmonton.

It worked the same way for Chicago. They went from a rebuilding team in 2007-08 to a conference finalist in 2009.

#49 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

If they don't sign for more then 6 million each they will be fine...... But as we all know, its more then just having a bunch of 1st overall picks to make a good team.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#50 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I remember when this same topic was labelled;

"The Pittsburgh Penguins are financially screwed for the future"

And they still have Crosby and Malkin to go with Fleury and many others. I don't see why Edmonton wouldn't be able to keep most of their guys long-term and stay (they are getting there) competitive at the same time. One or two of them might get moved anyways with time as players evolve differently than expected and they might end up needing something different. It'll work itself out.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#51 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

I remember when this same topic was labelled;

"The Pittsburgh Penguins are financially screwed for the future"

And they still have Crosby and Malkin to go with Fleury and many others. I don't see why Edmonton wouldn't be able to keep most of their guys long-term and stay (they are getting there) competitive at the same time. One or two of them might get moved anyways with time as players evolve differently than expected and they might end up needing something different. It'll work itself out.

There's a difference between Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury and Nugent/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz/Dubnyk. One of them have the 2 best players in the world and the other team has guys that don't have the potential to be better than Crosby/Malkin. If Eberle/Hall is already making 6 million next year, why wouldn't Nugent or Yakupov get 6 million after their ELC are done?

Edited by MayRayDown, 05 March 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#52 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

There's a difference between Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury and Nugent/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz/Dubnyk. One of them have the 2 best players in the world and the other team has guys that don't have the potential to be better than Crosby/Malkin. If Eberle/Hall is already making 6 million next year, why wouldn't Nugent or Yakupov get 6 million after their ELC are done?

I don't think it is fair to look at teenage and very early 20 year old players and automatically state there potential as if if were in stone. Especially considering you listed Kris Letang who was a 3rd round pick who far surpassed his judged potential.

But with that said even if Crosby/Malkin are the two best players in the NHL (which is also a debateable statement) keep in mind that the Penguins general success really is not carried by ether player. Crosby is always fantastic but has only played 86 games in the last 3 years due to injury. Malkin has also had a few injuries (overlapping Crosby's), not so great defensively, and is still prone to being a streaky player. A few years ago with both Crosby and Malkin missing half the season including the final stretch of the season the Penguins finished with 106 points only 1 point out of the 1st place seed maintaining the same winning pace without Sid and Malkin. These two weren't exactly covering holes caused by the cap and carrying the team.

Posted Image

#53 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't think it is fair to look at teenage and very early 20 year old players and automatically state there potential as if if were in stone. Especially considering you listed Kris Letang who was a 3rd round pick who far surpassed his judged potential.

its safe to say none will be better than Malkin/Crosby. Letang has been solid for the Penguins ever since he joined the lineup also had good potential even though he was drafted in the 3rd. These guys didn't just get good over night. These guys have been good and consistent ever since they joined the NHL.

Look at the first 2 seasons of their careers
Malkin 191 points
Crosby 222 points
Hall 95 points
Eberle 119 point

Crosby more points than both and Malkin almost does. Its not even comparable. There's a only a few people who have as much potential like Stamkos, Tavaris

But with that said even if Crosby/Malkin are the two best players in the NHL (which is also a debateable statement) keep in mind that the Penguins general success really is not carried by ether player

I don't know whats more bothering, the Penguins can win without Crosby, Malkin or that Edmonton can't win with Hall, Eberle, schultz, yakupov, dubnyk in the lineup? but "the Penguins general sucess really is not carried by either player" is not quite accurate.

During the years where they got to the SC finals and when they won the stanley cup

Regular season

Malkin--------------------------------------Crosby---------------------------------------Next leading scorer

07-08 47g 59a 106p--------------------07-08 24g 48a 72p (52gp)--------------07-08 12g 53a 65p (Gonchar)
08-09 35g 78a 113p--------------------08-09 33g 70p 103p---------------------08-09 22g 27a 49p (staal)

postseason

Malkin--------------------------------------Crosby---------------------------------------Next leading scorer

08 10g 12a 22p--------------------------08 6g 21a 27p-----------------------------08 12g 14a 26p (Hossa)
09 14g 22a 36p--------------------------09 15g 16a 31p---------------------------09 7g 8a 15p (Guerin)

would say when they are both healthy and playing the team always has a chance at winning the cup and were huge in those 2 playoff runs with both stepping up their game in 09 to capture that stanley cup.

Edited by MayRayDown, 05 March 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#54 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

its safe to say none will be better than Malkin/Crosby. Letang has been solid for the Penguins ever since he joined the lineup also had good potential even though he was drafted in the 3rd. These guys didn't just get good over night. These guys have been good and consistent ever since they joined the NHL.

Look at the first 2 seasons of their careers
Malkin 191 points
Crosby 222 points
Hall 95 points
Eberle 119 point

Crosby more points than both and Malkin almost does. Its not even comparable. There's a only a few people who have as much potential like Stamkos, Tavaris

I don't know whats more bothering, the Penguins can win without Crosby, Malkin or that Edmonton can't win with Hall, Eberle, schultz, yakupov, dubnyk in the lineup? but "the Penguins general sucess really is not carried by either player" is not quite accurate.

During the years where they got to the SC finals and when they won the stanley cup

Regular season

07-08 47g 59a 106p--------------------07-08 24g 48a 72p (52gp)--------------07-08 12g 53a 65p (Gonchar)
08-09 35g 78a 113p--------------------08-09 33g 70p 103p---------------------08-09 22g 27a 49p (staal)

postseason

08 10g 12a 22p--------------------------08 6g 21a 27p-----------------------------08 12g 14a 26p (Hossa)
09 14g 22a 36p--------------------------09 15g 16a 31p---------------------------09 7g 8a 15p (Guerin)

would say when they are both healthy and playing the team always has a chance at winning the cup and were huge in those 2 playoff runs with both stepping up their game in 09 to capture that stanley cup.

Your post doesn't disprove what I was saying. All I am saying is you are speaking very prematurely. You have a team with three #1 picks ages 18, 19, and 20 all playing in the NHL and you are already saying they cannot surpass the talent levels of players like Crosby and Malkin. And while I would agree that those are very high standards to surpass you are cannot possibly know how good or bad these players careers will go yet. For one Malkin did not start his NHL career at 18 he spent 2 years in Russia before joining them at age 20. You also mentioned players like Stamkos and Tavares having a chance to surpass them. Taylor Hall had better PPG his first two seasons than Tavares did and RNH had a better PPG his rookie year. All of them had better rookie seasons than Stamkos did who was even healthy scratched a few times his rookie year for his play and almost traded to the Rangers in his first offseason.

You simply have to give these guys a few years in the NHL before you start to judge there potential.

And as for Letang when he was drafted and early in his career no one expected him to develop into the player he did. Players projected to be anywhere near an all star player doesn't fall to the 3rd round.

And yes the Penguins odds of winning the cup are better with Malkin and Sid but my point wasn't about winning cups it was about being a strong team. The Penguins are still a strong team without them. What I am saying is if the Penguins swapped Crosby and Malkin with any of those two Edmonton players the Penguins would still be a playoff team and the Oilers if improved would still have a lot of holes.

The last time Malkin and Sid played in the playoffs they didn't make it past the first round. Many Penguin fans are still sick of the fact that they have been neglecting the defense as the one time they won the cup with them they had a very deep defense and MAF played great. That was the unsung hero of that cup team (defense).

But my main point was just that you were simply speaking prematurely. People seem shocked that the Oilers aren't amazing yet but overlook the fact that almost all of the key players average ages are younger than the average NCAA hockey team.

Posted Image

#55 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Everyone nowadays seems to be fearing the abundance of talent that the Edmonton Oilers have been blessed with over the past couple of years; with the likes of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle, and for good reason Oilers fans should be excited; although, if I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm not too excited about the future. Think about it, you've got 4 potential superstars (Eberle has already evolved into one) as well as another young denfensive dynamo in Justin Schultz. Pretty soon, if all of these players live up to their potential, there is no doubt that they will want to get paid the amount they are worth. It would be a perfect scenario for Edmonton if each player was generous enough to take pay cuts, but hockey is a business and there will always be that greedy player that's "in it for the money"... With 3 first overall picks... I think it will be really hard to keep ALL of them.

135pts in 168 games is not a superstar. look at crosby/malkin/stamkos if you want to see a superstar
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#56 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's why there's such a thing as restricted free agency. Unless they can win now, other teams will offer big bucks to these guys and the Oilers will receive compensation.

They really should've been far more aggressive earlier at free agency, and perhaps traded for better blueliners, but once they get going, they'll soon overtake Vancouver as the next divisional powerhouse, even if they miss the boat to signing these guys.

#57 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Overrated team, only player I'd love to have is Ebs.

#58 Virt 'n Kass

Virt 'n Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

A roster that featured..

- Sidney Crosby
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Recchi
- John Leclair
- Zigmund Palfy
- Sergei Gonchar
- Marc-Andre Fluery
- Brooks Oprik
- Ryan Malone
- Ryan Whitney
etc.

While I agree that the Oil will improve as these guys mature, I think Pittsburgh is the wrong team to compare them to. While the Pens stunk it up for top picks, they used those picks to grab:
-A superstar center
-Another superstar center
-A stellar 2-way, 3rd line center, and
-A phenomenal (well, until last year's playoffs) goalie
As well as supplementing those players with solid later picks like Letang and Goligoski. The Oilers chose instead to go with:
-A winger (yeah, Ebs wasn't a high pick but he is one of their key young guns)
-Another winger
-A small, albeit VERY talented, center
-ANOTHER winger
Supplemented by Devan Dubnyk (not exactly M-A Fleury) and an offensive defenseman. A far better comparison would be the Capitals:
-Semin
-Eric Fehr
-Ovi
-Backstrom
Backed up by Green and Varlamov. Hmm, 3 wingers and a center, chased by an average goalie and an offensive defenseman. Where have we seen this before?

The key difference is that the Pens drafted players who played more important, diverse positions. Wingers, while they can be superstars, aren't gonna win you the cup all by themselves cuz they generally don't play the same defensive game as centers and, as they say, "defense wins championships". Imagine if the Caps had instead grabbed Malkin and Cam Ward over Ovi and Semin. They'd be a better playoff team, no? Now imagine if the Oil had taken Seguin and Murray instead of Hall and Yak. Suddenly they look more like the 2006 Penguins, don't they?

My point (yes, my rambling has a point!) is that Edmonton is hardly going to turn into a cup winner once these guys mature a bit. At best they'll follow the Caps route of doing stellar in the regular season and failing in the playoffs for a few seasons before they implode.

Edited by BoothKesHiggy, 06 March 2013 - 01:01 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.